Why is the US letting so many people over the border?

Page 10 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 8:27 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well my friend told me that Biden promised the immigrants free health care and free education if they are kept voted in government, but is this true, since I only have him saying that?

Your friend is exaggerating. Those are policies that most in the Democratic Party wish to secure for American citizens.

Your friend is assuming that immigration reform is something being pursued as a political goal and that Republican xenophobia will harm them with a cohort of newly naturalized citizens. Of course, if Republicans weren't so hostile towards immigration reform they would have a better standing within that cohort.

Do you think George W. Bush supports immigration reform to help the Democratic Party?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bush-op-ed-b ... 57718.html

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 8:50 pm

Oh I don't know much about Bush's stance on that. But if that is not the goal then, to persuade immigrants to vote, than what is the goal for letting so many in all of a sudden? I don't think the government decided to all of a sudden turn into a selfless Santa Clause, there must be some ulterior motive at play?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:12 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh I don't know much about Bush's stance on that. But if that is not the goal then, to persuade immigrants to vote, than what is the goal for letting so many in all of a sudden? I don't think the government decided to all of a sudden turn into a selfless Santa Clause, there must be some ulterior motive at play?

Desire for population growth is the motive, it's not an ulterior motive. Why does there need to be an ulterior motive?

Insisting that there needs to be an ulterior motive to allow immigration is part of the reasoning xenophobes use to make other people paranoid about immigration.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:25 am

I'm not xenophobic of it, I just don't feel the government has all of a sudden become Santa Clause, and don't feel they are that selfless, without there being something in it for them as well. If desire for population growth is the motive, then why is that a desire, or why do they want that, if there is nothing in it for them as well?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:32 am

ironpony wrote:
I'm not xenophobic of it, I just don't feel the government has all of a sudden become Santa Clause, and don't feel they are that selfless, without there being something in it for them as well. If desire for population growth is the motive, then why is that a desire, or why do they want that, if there is nothing in it for them as well?

I didn't say you're personally xenophobic, I said you're falling for a common xenophobic trope. Getting offended over a label doesn't refute the fundamental argument.

The government isn't playing Santa Claus, a larger population provides a larger tax base and therefore more revenue.

Further, who's going to take care of all the boomers in nursing homes if there aren't enough young people to fill those positions? An aging populace will have economic impacts over time, allowing immigration of relatively young people helps offset that.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:39 am

NoClearMind53 wrote:
Don’t project your own prejudices on all of humanity. To most people “blood identity” is not hugely important on a scale bigger than their immediate family. A lot of behaviors people assume are “racial” are really cultural.

How would you answer funeralxempire's question?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:46 am

Yep....who IS going to take care of all those Boomers?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....who IS going to take care of all those Boomers?

I wrote:
Why would people from places that are often more socially conservative than the US be likely to vote for the party that isn't socially conservative?

I think he means that question.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 1:55 pm

I feel like it's because they don't sense that maintaining conservative values will lead to the advancement of humanity.

I've noticed, in Europe, that people are very family-oriented, and have conservative personal values----but they KNOW that progressive policies, by definition, will inevitably lead to progress.

The Swedes were a very militaristic people until they started implementing social democratic policies in the early 20th century. They were, by nature, conservative in all ways----but they sense that their conservative wasn't going to lead to anything, that it will be a dead-end.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 8:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I didn't say you're personally xenophobic, I said you're falling for a common xenophobic trope. Getting offended over a label doesn't refute the fundamental argument.

The government isn't playing Santa Claus, a larger population provides a larger tax base and therefore more revenue.

Further, who's going to take care of all the boomers in nursing homes if there aren't enough young people to fill those positions? An aging populace will have economic impacts over time, allowing immigration of relatively young people helps offset that.

Oh okay, it's just that there are often a lot of Americans online who say that the US is already too populated and there are too many people and not enough jobs out there. So is that not true, and it's the opposite, not enough people, too many jobs?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 10:19 pm

People are desperately trying to get into the United States!
How can this be?
Isn't America built on slavery?
Isn't America systemically racist?
Doesn't America's capitalist system exploit the workers?
Why come here and suffer under the boot of white supremacy?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 10:34 pm

That's what I was thinking too. So many Americans and even non-Americans complain about the racism and capitalist system yet it seems to be one of the most popular countries to immigrate to.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 11:14 pm

ironpony wrote:
That's what I was thinking too. So many Americans and even non-Americans complain about the racism and capitalist system yet it seems to be one of the most popular countries to immigrate to.

Are you and Mr. Reynholm aware that the poor in the Philippines eat literal garbage from the trash just to survive. Surely by your argument trash isn't as bad as its popularly conceived given the preponderance of its consumption in many poor countries. Or could it be when someone is in the worst extreme a lesser yet still unpalatable bad becomes all of a sudden palatable and agreeable?

Thats not to say America is a trash country, although for a country of its size and power it most definitely is a joke, but when you consider the local alternative of living in a poor dilapidated country with gangs, corrupt dictatorships and a trash economy of course immigrated to America with all of its problems is desirable. That doesn't though negate the above problems America has, it just means its not as bad as the problems these migrants are fleeing from.

Master Oogway

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:43 am

salad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Are you and Mr. Reynholm aware that the poor in the Philippines eat literal garbage from the trash just to survive. Surely by your argument trash isn't as bad as its popularly conceived given the preponderance of its consumption in many poor countries. Or could it be when someone is in the worst extreme a lesser yet still unpalatable bad becomes all of a sudden palatable and agreeable?

Thats not to say America is a trash country, although for a country of its size and power it most definitely is a joke, but when you consider the local alternative of living in a poor dilapidated country with gangs, corrupt dictatorships and a trash economy of course immigrated to America with all of its problems is desirable. That doesn't though negate the above problems America has, it just means its not as bad as the problems these migrants are fleeing from.

That's true I see what you mean but people from poor countries want to immigrate to a better place, is the US really the best country to immigrate too or are there other choices that are better, or less racist and capitalist, if it's true those are issues in the US? I just they would rather immimgrate somewhere else, unless the US is the best choice, and thus that's why it's so popular?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:55 am

ironpony wrote:
salad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

That's true I see what you mean but people from poor countries want to immigrate to a better place, is the US really the best country to immigrate too or are there other choices that are better, or less racist and capitalist, if it's true those are issues in the US? I just they would rather immimgrate somewhere else, unless the US is the best choice, and thus that's why it's so popular?

You've got to understand that because the Americas are separated from the rest of the world by 2 vast oceans, and most of these migrants are traveling on foot, the only available options are the contiguous lands within the Western Hemisphere of the Americas. Within the Americas the USA is the best place to immigrate towards, unless we count Canada but that is too far away on foot. What other Latin American country is there to immigrate to, considering how many of them are literally overrun with gangs, cartels and corrupt governments? Whatever flaws America has its still an objectively better place to live in compared to many other countries within that hemisphere.

Master Oogway

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 1:17 am

Oh okay that makes sense geographically, for Latin American people, but I thought we were talking about the Phillipines in the last couple of posts. So they are getting on planes to immigrate I am assuming, so wouldn't they rather fly to another country if the US is as bad as a lot of Americans say?

Also since the US is so nice and generous to Latin immigrants right now, why not help them immigrate to other countries that may be better for them and help them get there from the US, rather than take on all the immigrants themselves?