Feel like the only one Not celebrating end of lockdown

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 6:40 pm

As I said in a previous thread, seeing on Monday loads of people in pubs all around the country makes me face turn green with FOMO kicking in even though a part of me doesn't want to be a part of it and I feel quite annoyed and concerned that things will keep getting worse with the virus when don't play by the rules in terms of social distancing and masking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 6:59 pm

I certainly wouldn't want to hang out in some crowded pub. I wouldn't enjoy that.

Be thankful you don't have to lower yourself to do that.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Apr 2021, 4:36 am

As my husband put it: People queueing up for ages to sit outside a pub in the cold drinking a cold pint, no thanks!

I just want to be able to see my family.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 8:20 pm

All the Twitter videos of it look AWFUL.

I am of two minds.

1 I haven't got the vaccine yet and I don't want to go out til I have the vaccine
2 I hate the so called 'Swiss Cheese' model even though that's what the science wants. Where will it end? Always having to mask up whenever we go out? Getting yelled at by mum for casually browsing a magazine in the supermarket after my vax? I mean how much does the science want it? I can't go to a physical book shop and not look through the books before buying them.
3 I feel like everyone is all or nothing in how they're thinking. Either they are the idiots on Twitter videos who are getting into physical scraps (so not socially distancing) immediately when England are allowed to drink OR they are like me and planning on getting the vax as soon as possible but still having to wear masks and avoid the outside for years and years. Where are the in between types?
4 Being a hermit is really tempting to me because I was for 3 years before and technically I could be happy in here forever but the whole reason why we moved to a town I feel comfortable in is so that I don't do that. I will miss out on everything from nice food to nice people to decent museums if all I do is stay in green spaces and my house. I'm not sure how mentally healthy it is long term to be a hermit.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 8:22 pm

OutsideView wrote:
As my husband put it: People queueing up for ages to sit outside a pub in the cold drinking a cold pint, no thanks!

I just want to be able to see my family.

From the videos I've seen, they look to be around our age group (30 somethings) and I know disabilities can be invisible but from living with my mum who was high risk due to disability, I know she wouldn't be rushing out right now....

So are these people even vaccinated? 8O

Old people, I'd get it. They're vaccinated so if they're allowed out and age was why they were high risk (so they weren't shielded) they might be wanting to revel in VE day style outdoor drinking and partying. But relative youngsters and even youngsters in their late teens/20s? They do realise that the virus still exists... right?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

KT67 wrote:
Getting yelled at by mum for casually browsing a magazine in the supermarket after my vax? I mean how much does the science want it? I can't go to a physical book shop and not look through the books before buying them.

What? Why can't you read books?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 5:09 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
KT67 wrote:
Getting yelled at by mum for casually browsing a magazine in the supermarket after my vax? I mean how much does the science want it? I can't go to a physical book shop and not look through the books before buying them.

What? Why can't you read books?

Because:
1 Looking through books takes time
2 Think about all the other people who have been touching them before you touched them and whether they have the virus or not and whether they're using hand sanitiser or not... you don't know
3 Nowadays you have to be quick in and out of the shop or you'll catch a virus

The whole point of book shops over sites that sell books is the pleasure of browsing books.

But with this Covid paranoia and swiss cheese theory, all that's gone :( Pick up your book, buy it, leave it 48 hours then read it. :( I'd rather shop through local websites and tbh I'm tempted by Amazon.

Once I have the vax I'm wearing a light mask to show willing but that's it. I'm gonna act somewhat like a covidiot because these rules are getting to me. I will be the last one in my irl social network to get the vax so I'm not going to infect them and kill them or anything.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 11:35 pm

KT67 wrote:
1 Looking through books takes time
2 Think about all the other people who have been touching them before you touched them and whether they have the virus or not and whether they're using hand sanitiser or not... you don't know
3 Nowadays you have to be quick in and out of the shop or you'll catch a virus

Ah, 1 and 3 are fair points, but #2, they've been saying for a long time that surface contact transmission is not really an issue with this virus.

I mean, I wouldn't lick my thumb to turn the pages (which is gross anyway), but I wouldn't be afraid to touch things in public.

KT67 wrote:
The whole point of book shops over sites that sell books is the pleasure of browsing books.

Maybe try a library, if they're open? The last time I visited the public library (a few years ago), the main lobby was packed with people using the computers/Internet, but the rest of the building was like a ghost town.