Do you have genuine "hyperactivity" as an adult?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 1:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's awful but I believe it. When I had my stroke the doctor tried to send me home thinking I was drunk or high and his first course of action was to order tox screens. His opinion was based on prejudice after reading my previous medical and psych records, which must have said I was a weirdo. It was a nurse who demanded I be scanned for my stroke. Without her I likely would have been denied treatment, sent home, and left to die with a blood clot.

My friend's mom was a nurse and had more than a few tales like that. I believe a lot of us here owe that nurse a debt even if we don't know it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 1:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's awful but I believe it. When I had my stroke the doctor tried to send me home thinking I was drunk or high and his first course of action was to order tox screens. His opinion was based on prejudice after reading my previous medical and psych records, which must have said I was a weirdo. It was a nurse who demanded I be scanned for my stroke. Without her I likely would have been denied treatment, sent home, and left to die with a blood clot.

My friend's mom was a nurse and had more than a few tales like that. I believe a lot of us here owe that nurse a debt even if we don't know it.

Her name was Jamie. She was young and beautiful and going through a divorce. She had a young autistic son and she said her husband had no patience with autism. That's all I remember about her. I didn't even know I was autistic when this happened but the story stuck with me.

Here's to all nurses including my cousins. They really are the heart and soul of medical care.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 1:58 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
People used to wonder whether I was on “speed.”

I've been charged with impaired driving because of how I came off during the stop. Tox report didn't show anything incriminating, I was just wound up.

>$12k in court costs for being a weirdo.

Both of these stories are so infuriating. I hate dealing with cops since they're so eager to assume the wrong worst situation and they rarely actually help anything, just mess things up more.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 2:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Thanks. Does it need to mention the ASD diagnosis I already have though? If I did get assessed I'd like to show it to my boyfriend because I'd like him to understand what ADHD is (but not ASD, as I'm embarrassed about that).

I don't know for sure, Joe. They might not know you are ASD unless you tell them. Is it listed in your NHS records? In my case I had nothing to hide. They wanted all my school reports and previous psych reports prior to the first meeting so I sent it all along. If I hadn't sent the ASD I don't think they would have known. In the testing I spent many hours doing a verbal psychiatric conversation / assessment with the neuropsychiatrist, on top of the standardised computer tests. The verbal testing conversations screened for other possible mental health conditions like schizophrenia etc., but I didn't have those. I wonder if there were verbal questions designed to look for ASD? I can't remember, or maybe they skipped those questions since I was already confirmed ASD. I also did some self-questionnaires similar to what people do during ASD assessments but the questions were more geared toward my difficulties with attention and executive function. My daughter also had to do the questionnaires about me but she did them online from home, on a secure server.

I believe it is on my medical records, as everything to do with the ASD diagnosis was out of my control as I was only 8 when I was diagnosed, unlike most female Aspies.
My boyfriend isn't very educated on autism or ADHD but I do know that if he read about autism he would most likely say "you don't have that" whereas if he read about ADHD he'd most likely say "that is definitely you!"

One time I made a post here about getting an ADHD diagnosis, but I had a load of "you won't get a diagnosis of ADHD because many believe it doesn't exist". Then someone said that to get an ADHD diagnosis I must have a list of symptoms and behaviours that basically described Alzheimer's. So that wasn't very useful.

My brother has long-term depression (or depressive disorder) but has somehow managed to get diagnosed with Asperger's a couple of years ago, even though I don't believe he has Asperger's. But they didn't put down his 'symptoms' to his depression, even though all his symptoms are all typical depression symptoms, not ASD. I do get that depression can overlap with ASD or be a co-morbid of ASD but it seems like depression is what he originally has and is the cause of his self-image, mood swings and lack of motivation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 2:47 pm

Alzheimer's? I've never heard of that being compared to ADHD. My tests were all related to short and long term memory or my ability to pay attention and multitask. I did hours of computer tasks almost like video games, where they would flash a series of numbers or letters and I had to click for certain ones. I didn't know at the time but there was a computer camera watching my eyes to see if I was losing focus or staring at the wrong spot for too long. There were verbal memory questions where they'd list a string of information and I had to repeat it forward and backward. It was more complicated than it sounds and I'm sure I was being visually monitored the whole time for hyperactive stims, gestures, or movements.

There were also a lot of questions about my functional abilities throughout life and now, like whether I had a history of misplacing things, completing tasks, or having difficulty in interpersonal communication. Most people don't realise that relationships are very difficult for people with ADHD because it takes us longer to process emotions, or sometimes we can be reactive and impulsive as well. Our lives tend to be quite scattered whether literally or figuratively and it's hard for others to keep up without feeling resentment.

Here's a site that I really like, about ADHD. It's called ADDitude. I hope it can help you or Hero, or anyone else who has symptoms of ADHD.

https://www.additudemag.com/

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 3:14 pm

I often come across as a low energy person (unless an interest is mentioned). Meanwhile, my brain is going along at a fast rate. I can become fidgety or restless if I'm bored (this can be an issue when visiting relatives and I have to sit down for a long time listening to people). I do have to put mental restraint in to stop myself getting up and walking about.

People who know what I'm like usually offer to walk around the block with me whilst they talk if I look restless. I also use drawing as a method of stopping myself zoning out whilst someone talks at me. Usually I end up drawing something related to what they're talking about but not always. It keeps me in the moment.

What typically baffles people is when I quickly react to something but appear unengaged. Such as when playing air hockey. I know I've had games where people have celebrated thinking they've won but then they saw the score and realised that I've scored double their score and they've expressed confusion because apparently it looked like I was barely moving.

I find quick react games easy, but I struggle with strategy. Usually though, I'm more likely to zone out rather than be energetic. Sugar can make me hyper. However, caffeine has the opposite effect and it feels like I've been tranquilised. I think one of the weirdest feelings is when I have something with a lot of caffeine and sugar. My mind goes hyper - lots of overlapping thoughts and a desire to do a bunch of things. However, my body feels absolutely exhausted. So I'm essentially just stuck lying there wanting to do things but I can't. I feel weighed down. Then I usually end up lying there as my mind spews nonsense and then I fall asleep and have dreams that are even more vivid than usual.

That's why I avoid energy drinks. I can't take them and be productive. ADD is something I've wondered about, I know someone on another forum told me to look into it.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 4:14 pm

When I went to see a psychiatrist in my mid-20s, I was was looking for ADHD treatment, but I thought what I had was the "non-H" type ("ADD"). After a brief interview, the psych didn't seem to have any doubt that I had ADHD, but he also said "I think you actually are hyperactive, you've just probably learned to make it less obvious". I think what gave me up was that I tend to talk like I'm about to be forcibly taken to an undisclosed location by CIA agents and THIS VERY SECOND is my last and only chance to tell you the very important fact that did you know bananas are radioactive? I think I also tend to keep aimlessly looking around more than other people normally would.

I'm physically restless but it's subtle enough to be "normal". It's more like the type of thing people find funny and amusing rather than unsettling. When I do interact with people, I tend to talk a lot and talk over them, but I understand that I'm doing it and I acknowledge and try to make up for it. The main way how I myself experience hyperactivity is in my head. One of the ways how it's a big problem for me is that the greater my current sleep debt is, the harder it is for me to fall asleep.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:12 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
When I went to see a psychiatrist in my mid-20s, I was was looking for ADHD treatment, but I thought what I had was the "non-H" type ("ADD"). After a brief interview, the psych didn't seem to have any doubt that I had ADHD, but he also said "I think you actually are hyperactive, you've just probably learned to make it less obvious". I think what gave me up was that I tend to talk like I'm about to be forcibly taken to an undisclosed location by CIA agents and THIS VERY SECOND is my last and only chance to tell you the very important fact that did you know bananas are radioactive? I think I also tend to keep aimlessly looking around more than other people normally would.

I'm physically restless but it's subtle enough to be "normal". It's more like the type of thing people find funny and amusing rather than unsettling. When I do interact with people, I tend to talk a lot and talk over them, but I understand that I'm doing it and I acknowledge and try to make up for it. The main way how I myself experience hyperactivity is in my head. One of the ways how it's a big problem for me is that the greater my current sleep debt is, the harder it is for me to fall asleep.

I am actually more quiet around other people, but my thoughts race a lot. When I do talk though I tend to ramble because of my racing thoughts. I also do the "I need to tell you this right now," thing about things I absolutely do not need to do that for, because I have poor impulse control.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:17 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I often come across as a low energy person (unless an interest is mentioned). Meanwhile, my brain is going along at a fast rate. I can become fidgety or restless if I'm bored (this can be an issue when visiting relatives and I have to sit down for a long time listening to people). I do have to put mental restraint in to stop myself getting up and walking about.

People who know what I'm like usually offer to walk around the block with me whilst they talk if I look restless. I also use drawing as a method of stopping myself zoning out whilst someone talks at me. Usually I end up drawing something related to what they're talking about but not always. It keeps me in the moment.

What typically baffles people is when I quickly react to something but appear unengaged. Such as when playing air hockey. I know I've had games where people have celebrated thinking they've won but then they saw the score and realised that I've scored double their score and they've expressed confusion because apparently it looked like I was barely moving.

I find quick react games easy, but I struggle with strategy. Usually though, I'm more likely to zone out rather than be energetic. Sugar can make me hyper. However, caffeine has the opposite effect and it feels like I've been tranquilised. I think one of the weirdest feelings is when I have something with a lot of caffeine and sugar. My mind goes hyper - lots of overlapping thoughts and a desire to do a bunch of things. However, my body feels absolutely exhausted. So I'm essentially just stuck lying there wanting to do things but I can't. I feel weighed down. Then I usually end up lying there as my mind spews nonsense and then I fall asleep and have dreams that are even more vivid than usual.

That's why I avoid energy drinks. I can't take them and be productive. ADD is something I've wondered about, I know someone on another forum told me to look into it.

I need to pace around a lot and restraining myself from doing that is so hard. Pacing helps me think and keep my thoughts more organized.

I also have very poor reaction time, which is frustrating. Even if I'm very focused on something it can actually take me up to 2 seconds to process things before I can even consider reacting, so my reaction time is too bad to do a lot of things I want to do.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
One time I made a post here about getting an ADHD diagnosis, but I had a load of "you won't get a diagnosis of ADHD because many believe it doesn't exist". Then someone said that to get an ADHD diagnosis I must have a list of symptoms and behaviours that basically described Alzheimer's. So that wasn't very useful.

That is not what ADHD is like at all. I think if you got assessed you could get diagnosed. Even though some people think having an ASD diagnosis disqualifies you from having ADHD, the executive dysfunction issues with ADHD are quite different and more severe. My brother was diagnosed with both ADHD and Asperger's as a kid so it's definitely possible to be diagnosed with both.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:35 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

That is not what ADHD is like at all. I think if you got assessed you could get diagnosed. Even though some people think having an ASD diagnosis disqualifies you from having ADHD, the executive dysfunction issues with ADHD are quite different and more severe. My brother was diagnosed with both ADHD and Asperger's as a kid so it's definitely possible to be diagnosed with both.

Quote:
Alzheimer's? I've never heard of that being compared to ADHD

Exactly.

I'm trying to find the thread about it but as usual I can't find it on this site's no good search feature.