I'm starting to think some Trump supporters are mentally ill

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:36 am

Hey Salad, do not get sucked in by woo-woo conspiracy theorists promising "truth", when everything they deliver is lies and assumptions.  There is a locked sticky with my name on it in the News forum.  I strongly urge you to avail yourself of the resources linked to from there.  Have a nice day!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2021, 2:31 pm

Trump and Bush 43 were the worst, in different ways but it all equaled out to about the same awfulness. There are crazy people on both sides, but the far right is a special kind of nuts. Most of Trumps ilk are the same as religious fanatics to me, not too bright.

If anything, I wish America would learn to stop voting for people who support failed policy's. Things like Trickle down economics, cutting taxes for the rich and driving up the deficit, cutting education, not investing in infrastructure, bloated pentagon budget, and starting wars.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 2:41 pm

Trump was the first real president we've had in decades. All the others were just career politicians who maintained the theatrics of opposing parties. D or R make no difference.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 7:53 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Trump was the first real president we've had in decades. All the others were just career politicians who maintained the theatrics of opposing parties. D or R make no difference.

Are you sure? Because apart from the media spectacle, he scrapped some environmental regulations, and that's about all he did different from people who came before him. They all did some trade deal negotiations, some tax cuts for rich people, some bombing and drone striking... Trump certainly made a spectacle of it all, and of the wall he didn't build - but really, it seems he was mainly a pantomime who terrorized the world with tweets, while the structures that govern stuff remained more or less the same.
And now we're back to more or less the same going on, but less noisy.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:06 pm

salad wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Dear OP,
I recommend two books by Peter Pomerantsev:
"Nothing is true and everything is possible"- about his time as a journalist in Russia in the early 2000s, in which he recounts the reality-distorting media landscape in Putin'Russia and the effect it has on people and politics.
And
"This is not propaganda"-
About how propaganda worked during his father's life in the soviet union, compared to how online information warfare works today.

You have to understand that the Teump supporters you're talking about all fell into some rabbit hole because the reality they perceived every day did not line up with the reality the majority of the media portrayed.
The main problem is that "the mainstream media" really are peddling falsehoods.

I dont deny that the mainstream media is peddling falsehoods, in fact im the 1st one to admit to it. However the Trump media peddles 1000 times the falsehood I ever saw from the mainstream media. Breitbart, the website Trump supporters use, has so many cases of fake news and libels that its a miracle that the thing hasn't shut down yet

The solution to fake news and bad mainstream media reporting isn't to go ahead and create counter fake news. Thats not how it works

That's not what I meant.
Pomerantsev describes Putin's Russia as incredibly confusing - the official narrative differs so wildly from daily experience that everyone just accepts that it's rubbish, and doesn't bother to sort out what's worth paying attention to.
In the meantime the country is run by informal structures, - it's running, but there's no accountability, and people are always at the mercy of some person who may or may not have the power to get them beaten up or in prison an false charges.
But the remarkable thing is that this state was constructed by one of Putin's guys, Vladimir Surkov.
- the whole point is that it's impossible to firm sny kind of opposition to what's going on, because you can't even tell what's going on.

The whole QAnon thing is ridiculous, of course. But while you're busy arguing with a QAnon follower, knowing full well that it's a waste of time, someone somewhere is taking subsidies for opening up a shell corporation that's owned by a shell corporation, and your tax money vanishes onto a bank account on the cayman islands, and it's near impossible to find out who actually owns anything.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 1:34 am

Trump supporters who think their orange messiah was either a time traveler, or even Jesus Christ in his second coming might possibly be mentally ill??? NO!! ! (sarcasm)

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2021, 1:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Trump supporters who think their orange messiah was either a time traveler, or even Jesus Christ in his second coming might possibly be mentally ill??? NO!! ! (sarcasm)

Truth is stranger then fiction, the last 4 years have proved that. I don't think the best Hollywood writer could make this S__t up.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 1:43 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Trump wanted to magnify himself, and get himself and his family richer. He had by far the most corrupt henchmen, had gotten into the White House with the help of our enemies, and had encouraged the dark side of American civilization by encouraging white nationalism. I'll take a career politician over that any day.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 1:45 am

King Kat 1 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Truth is stranger then fiction, the last 4 years have proved that. I don't think the best Hollywood writer could make this S__t up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

salad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 5:27 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Hey Salad, You are making some excellent points but let me suggest to you to ignore the mainstream media and look at some independent news sources. The MSN has no objectivity and are now a propaganda machine.
There is a book you ought to read called Liberal Fascism by Johna Goldberg. It is an excellent primer on how politics actually work.

Under what premise do you believe I watch or read mainstream media sources? The closest ill ever get to reading "mainstream media" is if a big event happens and I just want to quickly browse some random top news links for a brief summary out of curiosity, but as far as actually following or seriously watching/reading accounts and analyses, I never touch the MSN. I dont touch it because Ive heard stories about how fake news it is, such as the example of the Covington Boy scandal where some MSN outlets made a random teen boy wearing a MAGA hat look like a racist white supremacist harassing a Native American elder, which to be fair I also fell for and I was one of the people who wanted to beat that boy up thinking he was a sick and evil man, until I found out that I was duped by the MSM to think of an innocent teen boy as a crazy white supremacist that he wasn't. Im all too aware that the MSM more often than not peddles race baiting even when race isn't a significant factor in an incident, has an agenda that makes white people look like super villains, only demonizes Trump no matter what Trump says or does yet says nothing when Hilary or Biden do way worse, and are all around unreliable.

Im very aware that the mainstream media is not to be trusted.

Still that doesnt change my opinion that some of these so called independent news sources aren't much better. I dont want or follow the news, but when I used to briefly scan the alternative news sources they were guilty of their own biases, such as unfounded claims and conspiracies against Muslims, as well as reporting of certain incidents that were unsubstantiated and too far gone into conspiracy theories just for the sake of conspiracy theories

Thats why I dont bother with the news and never want go. its a quagmire that makes one question reality and feel trapped in hopelessness that they'll never really know what's true or false, what's reality or delusion. As they say better no information than misinformation, hence why I choose to ignore the news as much as I can unless its something so big im directly affected by it, such as the George Floyd news since I live in Minnesota, otherwise I dont bother.

Master Oogway

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:26 am

salad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Hey Salad, You are making some excellent points but let me suggest to you to ignore the mainstream media and look at some independent news sources. The MSN has no objectivity and are now a propaganda machine.
There is a book you ought to read called Liberal Fascism by Johna Goldberg. It is an excellent primer on how politics actually work.

Under what premise do you believe I watch or read mainstream media sources? The closest ill ever get to reading "mainstream media" is if a big event happens and I just want to quickly browse some random top news links for a brief summary out of curiosity, but as far as actually following or seriously watching/reading accounts and analyses, I never touch the MSN. I dont touch it because Ive heard stories about how fake news it is, such as the example of the Covington Boy scandal where some MSN outlets made a random teen boy wearing a MAGA hat look like a racist white supremacist harassing a Native American elder, which to be fair I also fell for and I was one of the people who wanted to beat that boy up thinking he was a sick and evil man, until I found out that I was duped by the MSM to think of an innocent teen boy as a crazy white supremacist that he wasn't. Im all too aware that the MSM more often than not peddles race baiting even when race isn't a significant factor in an incident, has an agenda that makes white people look like super villains, only demonizes Trump no matter what Trump says or does yet says nothing when Hilary or Biden do way worse, and are all around unreliable.

Im very aware that the mainstream media is not to be trusted.

Still that doesnt change my opinion that some of these so called independent news sources aren't much better. I dont want or follow the news, but when I used to briefly scan the alternative news sources they were guilty of their own biases, such as unfounded claims and conspiracies against Muslims, as well as reporting of certain incidents that were unsubstantiated and too far gone into conspiracy theories just for the sake of conspiracy theories

Thats why I dont bother with the news and never want go. its a quagmire that makes one question reality and feel trapped in hopelessness that they'll never really know what's true or false, what's reality or delusion. As they say better no information than misinformation, hence why I choose to ignore the news as much as I can unless its something so big im directly affected by it, such as the George Floyd news since I live in Minnesota, otherwise I dont bother.

I mean no offense was intended but just suggesting that you might want to look into it, Also Seriously check out the Johna Goldberg book it really puts some perspective on things.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:32 am

shlaifu wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Are you sure? Because apart from the media spectacle, he scrapped some environmental regulations, and that's about all he did different from people who came before him. They all did some trade deal negotiations, some tax cuts for rich people, some bombing and drone striking... Trump certainly made a spectacle of it all, and of the wall he didn't build - but really, it seems he was mainly a pantomime who terrorized the world with tweets, while the structures that govern stuff remained more or less the same.

Yes I am quite sure. The USA was prospering with Trump like it hadn't in decades. He started no new wars and we were respected again worldwide. It has taken O'Biden just a few months to undo all of that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 1:59 pm

It is better to dismiss and ignore the opinions of Trump supporters than to try to understand their convoluted 'logic' and false claims.  Better yet, cancel their accounts so they will all run back to QAnon with their tails tucked between their legs like scalded dogs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 2:30 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
Trump and Bush 43 were the worst, in different ways but it all equaled out to about the same awfulness. There are crazy people on both sides, but the far right is a special kind of nuts. Most of Trumps ilk are the same as religious fanatics to me, not too bright.

If anything, I wish America would learn to stop voting for people who support failed policy's. Things like Trickle down economics, cutting taxes for the rich and driving up the deficit, cutting education, not investing in infrastructure, bloated pentagon budget, and starting wars.

I agree with you 100%. That's why I didn't vote for Obama for a second term, or Biden. I have been voting third-party exclusively since 2012.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 8:19 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Yes I am quite sure. The USA was prospering with Trump like it hadn't in decades. He started no new wars and we were respected again worldwide. It has taken O'Biden just a few months to undo all of that.

Or it can be argued America was still benefitting from Obama's economy.
Are you seriously claiming Biden is responsible for any economic decline? I seem to remember the economy shutting down due to Trump's mishandling of Covid.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2021, 4:15 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Respected worldwide :lol: At least in Europe many people were looking at our last presidency as comic political theater. The only non-Americans I've heard speak well of him were reactionaries who loved seeing an open nationalist/xenophobe prominent on the world stage.