Trying my medicine during the day isn’t helping

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:34 pm

I’ve been taking my medicine I normally take for sleep (40 mgs of citalopram) during the day to see if it would make a difference in my mood but I still feel depressed and unhappy. Something about my brain just refuses to work with antidepressants.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:35 pm

Marknis wrote:
I’ve been taking my medicine I normally take for sleep (40 mgs of citalopram) during the day to see if it would make a difference in my mood but I still feel depressed and unhappy. Something about my brain just refuses to work with antidepressants.

I've never had much luck with them. I have bipolar and I seem to never respond as expected no matter what it is I've been prescribed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 4:10 pm

Marknis wrote:

This is serotonin reuptake inhibitor. For it to work your body must be able to synthesize sufficient amounts of serotonin in the first place.

Exercise, fresh air, direct sunlight and healthy food rich in protein are not just desirable in your situation, but a must to achieve improvement.

If you sustainable practice getting enough of all of those, as soon as you feel better you should talk to your doctor about reducing or stopping this medication.

You should talk to your doctor at least about switching to different medication, serious side effects of citalopram include suicidal thinking and behavior among other things.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 May 2021, 4:24 pm

Citalopram didn't do much for me either.
I ended up on Quetiapine and Sertraline (aka Seroquel and Zoloft) which help very much with my bipolar and general mood.

But you really should have a chat with your doctor about this.
Some medication can also have quite nasty side-effects, as badRobot mentions.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 4:27 pm

The only drug that ever helped me was Buspirone.

It's not a very popular medication any more but it does have a high success rate for anxiety in ASD patients.

I appreciate you are depressed at present but is that a side effect of being anxious? It was for me.