I hate being the smart one sometimes...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:41 am

It ends up with people wanting me to solve their problems... Because I'm smart...

Neighbor: "How do I get ahold of maintenance directly?"
Me: "Did you call the office?"
Neighbor: "I got an answering machine"
Her emergency turned out to be her refrigerator was too cold... I could have told her to turn down the temperature gauge... or actually leave a message on the machine, because "refrigerator too cold" doesn't warrent the emergency maintenance line... But uggghhhh...

Then one of my aunt's messages me, asking a question that could easily be Googled... Sigh I Googled it and gave her the answer...

I mean... Yeah... It's called Google, lol!

I crave social interaction... But at the same time not this type...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:45 am

Most of the questions asked on this website could be answered with a simple Google search.  One need not have a "Black Belt in Google-Fu", either.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:00 am

Fnord wrote:
Most of the questions asked on this website could be answered with a simple Google search.  One need not have a "Black Belt in Google-Fu", either.

Google hardly ever answers my questions. That's why I come here to ask things in person, so that I can get a more accurate answer rather than a blanket answer on Google.

One time I was looking for an answer on Google and I couldn't find what I was looking for, except for one link that popped up which was a discussion board asking the exact same question I was asking. But when I clicked on it all it was were a bunch of posts saying that they're having the same problem as me and are trying to find answers. So I came to WP and explained the same problem and I actually got the exact answer I needed that resolved my problem.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:02 am

Angnix wrote:
It ends up with people wanting me to solve their problems... Because I'm smart...

Neighbor: "How do I get ahold of maintenance directly?"
Me: "Did you call the office?"
Neighbor: "I got an answering machine"
Her emergency turned out to be her refrigerator was too cold... I could have told her to turn down the temperature gauge... or actually leave a message on the machine, because "refrigerator too cold" doesn't warrent the emergency maintenance line... But uggghhhh...

Then one of my aunt's messages me, asking a question that could easily be Googled... Sigh I Googled it and gave her the answer...

I mean... Yeah... It's called Google, lol!

I crave social interaction... But at the same time not this type...

Pardon me for being pedantic, but from the psychology perspective, you are training these people to come to you first or as soon as they encounter the least barrier. Therefore, they will keep coming back to you. In the examples you gave, a better answer would be: (a) the neighbor: tell her to call maintenance again and leave a message. And (b) your aunt: "Did you try Google? I bet you could get an answer that way."

If you do the legwork for them, they will come back to you again and again.

Have a great day, Angnix!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:03 am

Not everyone is as skilled at using search engines and doing research. Generally those people have instead learned how to ask others to assist them with gathering the knowledge they need.

I try to not begrudge those people for being less capable in this one regard; they usually have other redeeming skills.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:10 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Not everyone is as skilled at using search engines and doing research...
Experiment:

1. Pick a question; any question will do.

2. Type the question into your favorite search engine exactly as you would ask it.

3. Follow the top ten links and read the results in each one.

4. Form your own consensus opinion from the answers.

If your question is not answered to your satisfaction, then ignore YouTube and other conspiracy-laden websites, re-phrase the question, and start over.

Simple.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:13 am

even the 2nd tier search engines have gotten scarily prescient about what i'm typing. 8O :o :nerdy:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:14 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Not everyone is as skilled at using search engines and doing research...
Experiment:

1. Pick a question; any question will do.

2. Type the question into your favorite search engine exactly as you would ask it.

3. Follow the top ten links and read the results in each one.

4. Form your own consensus opinion from the answers.

If your question is not answered to your satisfaction, then ignore YouTube and other conspiracy-laden websites, re-phrase the question, and start over.

Simple.

For what it's worth, I'm not one of those people. I'm one of the people who gets asked for answers. 8)

When I worked in a call centre a portion of my coworkers were like that but they usually had other skills I lacked.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
For what it's worth, I'm not one of those people. I'm one of the people who gets asked for answers.  When I worked in a call centre a portion of my coworkers were like that but they usually had other skills I lacked.
I am an electrical engineer ... I know the feeling all too well...

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Not everyone is as skilled at using search engines and doing research. Generally those people have instead learned how to ask others to assist them with gathering the knowledge they need.

I try to not begrudge those people for being less capable in this one regard; they usually have other redeeming skills.

I think this is mostly learned behavior. First thing come to mind is "learned helplessness" or something like that.

99.99% of phone calls from my older relatives are something like that:
- Hey, badRobot, there is something wrong with my iPad again.
- What is wrong?
- There is popup saying there is some Error.
- What does it say, can you read it?
- Hmm, let me check, is says "Your iCloud account was locked for security reasons. Do you want to unlock it?" and there are two buttons "Yes" and "No", what should I do?
- Do you want to unlock it?
- Yes. Ahhh, got it, thank you!

A lot of them really think I helped them. This is some NT behavior I'm too autistic to understand.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:24 am

^^^a LOT of people are so sensitized to disasters happening when they chose the wrong option, you can sorta understand why they are extremely gun-shy about just about any decision their device makes them take. to such people, it might as well ask them, "format hard drive Y/N?"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:25 am

The hell of it is that even when I am absolutely right, I have somehow done something else entirely wrong.

"Insensitive" is a word I hear more often than "Thank you".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:31 am

in my extremely circumscribed opinion, the tech support that would have the best word-of-mouth, in addition to being always right, is also always tactful and kind, a la "the customer is always right even when s/he's dead-wrong." al gore was of course right when he "debated" on that stage with shrub, but when he audibly sighed at a shrubdumb comment, he lost.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:39 am

There are more people in this world who want their feelings affirmed than those who want their problems solved.

They do not realize that if their problems were solved, their unrequited feelings would automatically be resolved.

Last edited by Fnord on 12 May 2021, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:41 am

in this demon-haunted world, a local angel is in high demand.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:42 am

... and in the Land of The Blind, the One-Eyed Man is king!