Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 3:19 pm

Serious question. Have you ever had a 'sweet' dream? By which I mean one dominated by positive feelings/experiences. I want to leave aside dreams of a sexual nature.

I don't remember very many of my dreams and when I do they're exclusively unpleasant. Not necessarily what's happening in the dream is unpleasant, but the emotions attached are generally unpleasant: fear, anxiety, anger - that sort of thing. I also get sleep paralysis which is like a waking dream and always horrible. I don't want to come across emo-er than thou but as someone who has never had a pleasant dream that I can recall, I sometimes wonder if anyone really has nice dreams.

The popular understanding of dreams is that they are the subconscious brain processing daily experiences. This to me suggests that most dreams would be to some degree unpleasant. Because if everything is jolly and lovely, what's to process?

So tell me, do you ever have purely pleasant, or sweet, dreams?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 6:56 pm

I don't remember my dreams often. The ones I do recall aren't generally pleasant. They might start off alright, like a nice afternoon at my grandparents house, but then a tornado will show up and suddenly be barreling towards the house. :lol: Sometimes my dreams aren't stressful, but flat out bizarre. I wouldn't call them pleasant, but they aren't really stressful dreams either. Those ones leave me wondering wtf when I wake up. Given the tone of the dreams I do recall, I'm glad I don't remember them most of the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 7:17 pm

Dreams are far sweeter than the waking world can ever hope to be.  I have had many pleasant conversations with relatives in my dreams, only to wake up and remember they are all dead.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:07 pm

Actually, yes. I experienced some myself.

Being in different worlds, able to fly a bit, witnessing crazy stuff, living luxuriously (or at least less worrying) and a lot of good relations...

Sometimes, in a world/s where it's perpetually dawn/dusk like golden light in some garden like forests. I may or may not have a body.

That is, if I can remember them.

Sometimes I do woke up smiling. I rarely ever felt longing to go back.
More like I woke up "accomplished", motivated on trying to live on my waking one better than usual.

Most of my dreams are confusing or that I couldn't recall or understand well. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes not.
Yet all do interests me than my waking life.

Being in place of someone from another place and I got no clue about this life except I somewhat had the person's memories.

Or something... Not-human. Or not-normal.
At best, it is translated into what the human mind can comprehend, at worst it's a literal blank but it is there.

I rarely ever had a nightmare. Even the creepy not exactly nightmare kinds.
If anything, I'm more the part of the nightmare than being subjected to it.
Or that I'm the cause of the nightmare and brought it on myself.

DuckHairback wrote:
The popular understanding of dreams is that they are the subconscious brain processing daily experiences. This to me suggests that most dreams would be to some degree unpleasant. Because if everything is jolly and lovely, what's to process?

What is there to process if all are jolly and lovely?

Maybe it's a reminder to be grateful. Maybe it's a reminder that one is never truly alone.
That is, if that's what reflects of one's waking life.

Maybe it is a form of coping mechanism deep down. Maybe it's a message and translation of one's deepest desires.
Maybe some weird bio chemical stuff in someone's head for some reason and someone hit a jack pot.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:45 am

Sometimes I taste things in dreams, I’ve tasted sweet things in dreams before, does that count? :lol:

Dreams where I can fly on my own two wings, feeling the air supporting me and muscles I don’t even have working. I haven’t had them in years because I’m too aware that I’m dreaming and can’t actually fly, but not aware enough to realize that if I’m dreaming, I can do anything I can imagine. I really miss those. But I’m the weirdo who feels like they have the soul of a dragon, or at least something winged, probably isn’t the same for people perfectly at home in their physical bodies.

My kitty KC visits me in dreams sometimes, though I can’t say they’re entirely pleasant ones because I always remember that she’s been gone for years and typically I have some notion that our time together is very limited.

I also will have dreams pertaining to my interests, current or past (though most, if not all, of my interests never completely go away), and those dreams can be entirely (to my recollection) pleasant (which is amusing considering my penchant for horror - yes, that’s included). Not sure I’d really call those “sweet” dreams (well, maybe if we’re using it to mean “cool,” but I don’t think that’s usually what the term “sweet dreams” means :lol: ), but I’ve certainly awakened from dreams thinking something along the lines of “Whoa, that was awesome!” :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:46 am

Sweet dreams are made of these. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:28 am

I used to dream a lot more vividly in my youth, but I had two dreams that must have been affirming to me, and except for one horrible re occurring nightmare (which has finally left me) they are the only 2 that seem to repeat. In one I am approaching a 3 story house. I enter. The first floor is chaos and destruction, distress and anxiety. I retreat up the stairs, and find an even more desolate place, wreckage and scary stuff everywhere I look. I go up the next flight of stairs and find a clean, sane, kind and friendly atmosphere and I enter. Then the dream ends. It took years of versions of this dream before I asked myself what it meant. The 3 stories of the house represent the present, the past, and the future. I am looking forward to a better future in this dream. It is self encouragement, and I loved it when I had this dream.
The other sweet dream involves turtles. You need to know that this is my favorite animal and nothing delights me more than to find a hatchling turtle while I am on my rambles in the woods or near bodies of water. I dream I leave home( always a relief when i was young) and go for a walk, and in the heart of the woods where I am the only person, on a path near a lake, I look down and see a tiny turtle. I pick it up and all of a sudden I see more. I continue to find baby turtles for a few moments and then the dream ends. I think this dream happens when I am especially "down" and I am reminding myself that there are good things that can still happen. Yes, there are sweet dreams. Hope you have them too, now , if not before this time.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 7:25 am

I'm pleased to hear that people are having nice dreams. Maybe I just don't remember mine and the negative ones are the ones I bring with me when I wake.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 May 2021, 1:47 am

I don't usually remember much about my dreams but I've had sweet dreams before where I was dating my celebrity crush :heart: When I had one of the best dreams I was under the influence of an anesthesia med cuz I was in the hospital getting surgery on my nose cuz the inside was crooked. I cant recall ever remembering a sexual dream.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 12:46 am

Most of my dreams are not positive ones, but sometimes I do have nice dreams. They're usually about video games. lol

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 12:53 am

Idk I don't remember ever having any particularly good dreams the best ones I always had ended early. I had a couple dreams of being about to try some delicious looking food, only to wake up before I got to taste it for instance. But for the most part most of my dreams are kind of unsettling if not just kinda unpleasant. Sometimes I wake up feeling like I need to de-stress from my dreams because it was such a mindful to wake up with.

I get a lot of dreams about crooked and/or leakey houses a lot of times, not sure what is up with that.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 1:34 am

I do have a lot of nightmares, but I would say that a good majority of my dreams are not. I don't know if I'd call them "sweet", but they do tend to be quite pleasant.
A lot of my dreams are just flat out weird and make no sense.

But the good ones are really good...even if they're just silly autistic "woah, I found a thrift store that has all tons of cool collectables/games/electronics/whatever that I want!"

I just hate when I wake up right before it gets to the good part.

Most of my dreams over the past year have been a welcome escape from Real Life, if only for the fact that when I'm dreaming, I tend to forget that I'm practically a cripple now.

Even the "oh great, I'm back in school again and I can't find where my classes are" dreams are pretty enjoyable.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2021, 10:34 pm

A lot of the dreams I do remember involve me running from something or to something. I stumble & I start running on my hands & legs. I also tend to dream I'm fighting or falling & I never know why I am fighting or falling.

The last time I recall having a sweet dream, it was like half a year ago & it was about my crush & I was actually in a very crabby mood all day after waking up from it :( I had a beer later that evening(my evening which is night) to try & relax & it only helped a tiny bit. It was a very good thing my girlfriend was spending a couple nights with her family cuz I woulda taken it out on her if she had been here. I actually think I just now realized what was going on with that dream & my bad mood after waking up from it :idea: Cass had been spending a lot of time with her family cuz her brother had been having extremely bad mental health problems & could not handle being by himself. He lives alone & their mom had practically moved in with him even though she has her own place. He's extremely controlling & has a ton of rules & needs everything his way. Their mom was at her breaking point & Cass was going their every week to try & give her mom a break for a couple days. Cass was gone a 3rd of the time for a couple months. She's very much a homebody like me & being away from home wears her out, especially when she's having to walk on eggshells the whole time. She was in a very bad mood whenever she got back & unintentionally kinda took it out on me. She also spent a lot of her time sleeping & needed a lot of time to herself. I know I was feeling neglected & lonely so it makes sense to me now why I had a dream where I was spending time with my crush. Then when I woke up alone in bed, reality kicked me in the butt & it was very frustrating & I also felt guilty for having the dream.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Serious question. Have you ever had a 'sweet' dream? By which I mean one dominated by positive feelings/experiences. I want to leave aside dreams of a sexual nature.

I don't remember very many of my dreams and when I do they're exclusively unpleasant. Not necessarily what's happening in the dream is unpleasant, but the emotions attached are generally unpleasant: fear, anxiety, anger - that sort of thing. I also get sleep paralysis which is like a waking dream and always horrible. I don't want to come across emo-er than thou but as someone who has never had a pleasant dream that I can recall, I sometimes wonder if anyone really has nice dreams.

So tell me, do you ever have purely pleasant, or sweet, dreams?

I believe I've had "sweet dreams" but not purely pleasant dreams, none of my dreams are perfect, not even my best ones, dreams I'd love to have again!

I think I get the "fear, anxiety, anger" thing and my dreams make things in them sadder than they actually are or things that are not sad at all, like things or people I see or sounds I hear, sad, making me cry or want to cry upon waking!

Thankfully I also have dreams that make me laugh even when they're not what anyone would call funny!

Is that what you mean? I don't always know what people are talking about or speak a different subject than was intended!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:54 am

I have very sweet dreams. I have dreams that people are closer together than they are in real life. I also have dreams about a more tolerant and inclusive future for everyone. I also have dreams about Om Nom, and he's very sweet.