Is marrying certain groups frowned upon in your family?

Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

How does your family view marrying/dating certain groups?
Allowed without any restrictions 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Allowed but certain groups preferable over others 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Allowed but certain groups frowned upon 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Greatly discouraged for certain groups 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
Forbidden 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 9:18 pm

diagnosedafter50 wrote:
I'm deeply ashamed to say that a few decades ago (marrying age) I think my family would have frowned up on me bringing a prospective partner from a different race home.
I used to be racist when I was pig ignorant.

You can't choose your family but you can choose how you conduct yourself

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 4:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
salad wrote:
I wanted to do a survey on WP and document the prevalence of how families are ok with/condemn the marrying/falling in love with those from certain groups or cultures.

In my family's culture marrying outside is very frowned upon, and ESPECIALLY if the person is darker skinned its a major stigma. The whiter skin and lighter features, the better, but god forbid if someone from my community married a darker skinned person, or even worse, an African American, there would be some hell raised....

Mind you I dont support it obviously, but this is how our culture is. Its backwards and racist and needs reform. Family is Palestinian btw.

What about in your family. Is there any opposition, stigma, barriers or any considerations made when marrying someone from another group, or is your family completely open minded and won't bat an eye no matter who you marry/date?

Marrying within the religion is the ideal in my family but its not mandatory for most of us.However, i think one of my family members has it as a rule now.

I've heard of plenty of orthodox religious types who happily proclaim "you can't marry outside of their religion/race/clan" or whatever meet some busty buxom beauty and decide maybe their silly beliefs aren't that important after all....

My faith is more important to me than a relationship.I have met women who was really tempting to me but i decided not to pursue it further because of my faith.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jun 2021, 5:36 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
My faith is more important to me than a relationship.I have met women who was really tempting to me but i decided not to pursue it further because of my faith.
If you have a Christian faith & live in Texas, your probably more likely to meet women who share your faith than women who don't but you would probably have a much harder time there if you have a different kinda faith. I'm from Louisiana but both my exes lived in Texas. Part of the reason my 2nd girlfriend broke up with me is cuz her parents were hard-core Christians & they kinda wanted our relationship on their terms which were very difficult for us to meet. She was in college & living in her own apartment but her parents didn't want us to be unsupervised together. That meant me having to stay over at their house when I went visit. The stress of long distance was very difficult for us(especially me) & having to accommodate her parents made things more challenging. She didn't consider herself a Christian, she was more of an atheist but she had to pretend for her parents cuz they were helping her out with college & woulda cut her off for going against em. My family is Catholic but not very practicing. I went to a Catholic high-school but I went there more because I had problems in public school than because of my parents wanting me to be religious. I consider myself to be a Secular Humanist so my ex told her parents that I was Catholic :wink: If I woulda had the income to afford my own place instead of living with my parents & woulda also been able to cover her college stuff, I woulda been willing to get my own place around there & she probably woulda been willing to go against her parents but that wasn't really possible. There were other major reasons why we had problems & why she broke up with me but we may of lasted otherwise though.

As for as I'm aware nobody in my extended family(grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, & cousins kids) has ever been involved with someone who was not white or was not Catholic. Some of em might would have a problem with an immediate family member being involved with somebody who wasn't but I don't think they would care much about an extended family member like me being involved with somebody who wasn't. My current girlfriend is a Panthiest but it doesn't really matter to me what religion or faith she is as long as it's not being forced or pushed on me & I try not to push Secular Humanism on her or anyone. It was majorly difficult for me to get any girlfriend & I was single for 8 years straight between my 1st & 2nd girlfriend despite my best efforts to find someone so I didn't wanna limit myself to other Secular Humanists.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
I've heard of plenty of orthodox religious types who happily proclaim "you can't marry outside of their religion/race/clan" or whatever meet some busty buxom beauty and decide maybe their silly beliefs aren't that important after all....

There is more to love in heaven and Earth, Cyberdad, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
diagnosedafter50 wrote:
I'm deeply ashamed to say that a few decades ago (marrying age) I think my family would have frowned up on me bringing a prospective partner from a different race home.

I choose not to be a racist but I also made errors in the way I conducted myself with regards to my family.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
There is more to love in heaven and Earth, Cyberdad, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.[/color]

Do enlighten us Fnord

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:02 pm

diagnosedafter50 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
diagnosedafter50 wrote:

I choose not to be a racist but I also made errors in the way I conducted myself with regards to my family.

All of us regret how we conduct ourselves with our family, Mine isn't perfect either. It's important to move on though.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2021, 8:43 am

nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
If you have a Christian faith & live in Texas, your probably more likely to meet women who share your faith than women who don't but you would probably have a much harder time there if you have a different kinda faith. I'm from Louisiana but both my exes lived in Texas. Part of the reason my 2nd girlfriend broke up with me is cuz her parents were hard-core Christians & they kinda wanted our relationship on their terms which were very difficult for us to meet. She was in college & living in her own apartment but her parents didn't want us to be unsupervised together. That meant me having to stay over at their house when I went visit. The stress of long distance was very difficult for us(especially me) & having to accommodate her parents made things more challenging. She didn't consider herself a Christian, she was more of an atheist but she had to pretend for her parents cuz they were helping her out with college & woulda cut her off for going against em. My family is Catholic but not very practicing. I went to a Catholic high-school but I went there more because I had problems in public school than because of my parents wanting me to be religious. I consider myself to be a Secular Humanist so my ex told her parents that I was Catholic :wink: If I woulda had the income to afford my own place instead of living with my parents & woulda also been able to cover her college stuff, I woulda been willing to get my own place around there & she probably woulda been willing to go against her parents but that wasn't really possible. There were other major reasons why we had problems & why she broke up with me but we may of lasted otherwise though.

As for as I'm aware nobody in my extended family(grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, & cousins kids) has ever been involved with someone who was not white or was not Catholic. Some of em might would have a problem with an immediate family member being involved with somebody who wasn't but I don't think they would care much about an extended family member like me being involved with somebody who wasn't. My current girlfriend is a Panthiest but it doesn't really matter to me what religion or faith she is as long as it's not being forced or pushed on me & I try not to push Secular Humanism on her or anyone. It was majorly difficult for me to get any girlfriend & I was single for 8 years straight between my 1st & 2nd girlfriend despite my best efforts to find someone so I didn't wanna limit myself to other Secular Humanists.

well its still really hard because not only do you have to find a church of Christ woman to marry you have to find one that is compatible with your brand of the church of Christ and the church of Christ is on a steep decline so its harder than you would imagine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2021, 8:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There is more to love in heaven and Earth, Cyberdad, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Do enlighten us Fnord
Go ask Bigfoot.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 12:43 am

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Do enlighten us Fnord
Go ask Bigfoot.

:lol:

scapino
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2021, 9:02 pm

Well, culturally / ethnically / racially? Absolutely not. I come from a multiracial family and upbringing, they're pretty chill as far as that goes.

However if I married a man, many in my family would have a problem with that. :( :(

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 12:22 am

scapino wrote:
However if I married a man, many in my family would have a problem with that. :( :(

Do you want to?

scapino
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jun 2021, 8:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
scapino wrote:

Do you want to?

Possibly, I'm not sure if I'm interested in marriage (definitely not at this point in my life). I am attracted to men, I'm bisexual. :)