Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 9:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
This is more of an issue of civility and culture. You can't pass laws that require people to like or be nice to anyone. Government is downstream of culture. I think that the best approach is to try to change the culture rather than pass un-inforceable laws. Culture can be changed and does change.

I'm afraid with the internet and social media there is actually a greater urgency to curtail hate-speech. The scenario you propose also makes it legal for groups of bullies to surround a person with autism and verbally say things intended to trigger that person without repercussion.

Bullying in school and the workplace is a big issue associated with suicide and mental breakdown and opening the doors to discriminatory language (on the basis of free speech) will exacerbate existing social problems.

Also how do you propose to change culture when human beings actively avoid people they dislike?

You keep implying that I'm somehow pro-bullying of autistic persons which is absurd as I on the spectrum. I would thank you to cease.
We may be talking about two different things.
Bullying is abuse and is unacceptable behavior to most of us. If you are suggesting that somehow any difference of opinion or viewpoint aired in a public forum constitutes bullying I would have to disagree. Free speech in a free society is the ability for persons to discuss whatever they please. That doesn't mean one will agree with everyone. That also doesn't mean that persons with a different point of view are inherently evil. The world would be a boring place if everyone were just alike.
The problem with trying to police free speech with Hate Speech laws is this; Who decides what is "Hate Speech"?
What happens when YOUR opinions become hate speech?
Unintended Consequences of giving the government Too Much Power.
This is one of those governmental powers that can come back to bite everyone's arse.

Ok so you are talking about expressing personal opinion. But even then there has to be boundaries, For example how long do you think some random dude would last on social media if he posted how much he thinks it should be legal to screw children? He would be cancelled faster than you can say "cancel culture", And there;s plenty more e,g, black people should be sent back to Africa to reduce the crime problem would end up with cancellation and losing your job. I could go on.

You mean like:

I believe the person making the statements has around 350K subscribers on youtube and their account is active...

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:05 am

Fnord wrote:
It is interesting to note that many of those who defend "hate speech" as "free speech" are also the same people who supported Mr. Trump and defended his lies in the past ... and who are now curiously silent on those topics.

Specifics?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:42 am

Fnord wrote:
It is interesting to note that many of those who defend "hate speech" as "free speech" are also the same people who supported Mr. Trump and defended his lies in the past ... and who are now curiously silent on those topics.

Evidence please...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 3:25 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
This is more of an issue of civility and culture. You can't pass laws that require people to like or be nice to anyone. Government is downstream of culture. I think that the best approach is to try to change the culture rather than pass un-inforceable laws. Culture can be changed and does change.

I'm afraid with the internet and social media there is actually a greater urgency to curtail hate-speech. The scenario you propose also makes it legal for groups of bullies to surround a person with autism and verbally say things intended to trigger that person without repercussion.

Bullying in school and the workplace is a big issue associated with suicide and mental breakdown and opening the doors to discriminatory language (on the basis of free speech) will exacerbate existing social problems.

Also how do you propose to change culture when human beings actively avoid people they dislike?

You keep implying that I'm somehow pro-bullying of autistic persons which is absurd as I on the spectrum. I would thank you to cease.
We may be talking about two different things.
Bullying is abuse and is unacceptable behavior to most of us. If you are suggesting that somehow any difference of opinion or viewpoint aired in a public forum constitutes bullying I would have to disagree. Free speech in a free society is the ability for persons to discuss whatever they please. That doesn't mean one will agree with everyone. That also doesn't mean that persons with a different point of view are inherently evil. The world would be a boring place if everyone were just alike.
The problem with trying to police free speech with Hate Speech laws is this; Who decides what is "Hate Speech"?
What happens when YOUR opinions become hate speech?
Unintended Consequences of giving the government Too Much Power.
This is one of those governmental powers that can come back to bite everyone's arse.

Ok so you are talking about expressing personal opinion. But even then there has to be boundaries, For example how long do you think some random dude would last on social media if he posted how much he thinks it should be legal to screw children? He would be cancelled faster than you can say "cancel culture", And there;s plenty more e,g, black people should be sent back to Africa to reduce the crime problem would end up with cancellation and losing your job. I could go on.

You mean like:

I believe the person making the statements has around 350K subscribers on youtube and their account is active...

Perhaps he has been marked