Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 12:29 am

Quote:
Belarusian plane hijacking sends ‘alarm bells ringing’ across the globe
25/05/2021|9min

Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko’s decision to hijack a passenger airplane to capture a political dissident has sent alarm bells across the globe and set a dangerous precedent.

A Ryanair flight from Athens to Lithuania was intercepted and forced to land in Minsk under the pretense of a potential bomb scare, but once landed Belarusian forces arrested journalist Roman Protasevich who was last year placed on the nation’s terrorist list.

Mr Protasevich had been critical of Belarus’ dictator and was pivotal in filming and spreading footage of anti-government protests during last year’s election.

The West Australian’s Aviation Editor Geoffrey Thomas told Sky News the brazen diversion of the plane, which he said looks like a hijacking, set an “incredibly dangerous precedent”.

“All of a sudden all the airlines in the world flying over all sorts of territory – Russia, Iran, Syria – all sorts of air routes are now question marks,” he said.

“What happens if you’ve got someone on board that this particular country want? Are they going to try the same thing?

“It’s sending alarm bells everywhere, it’s almost akin to, but not quite obviously, a missile shootdown.

“All the sudden it’s not safe to fly over a country. It sets a very dangerous precedent.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_625 ... he%20globe
Putin is out of control.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 12:39 am

and nobody's gonna confront him about it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2021, 3:00 am

Putin has never been "in control" - I mean, he's impossible to control from the West. His goal is to rebuild the Russian Empire in the modern world - so he hates losing influence, especially in Ruthenian-speaking countries: Belarus and Ukraine.

But Belarus and Ukraine, while linguistically close to Russia, have a long history of independence from Moscow. Kiev was a capital of Rus' before Moscow was even founded. After the ancient state of Kiev Rus' disassembled, Poland, Lithuania and Mongol Empire took parts of it. Moscow emerged by gaining more and more independence under Mongol Empire - but their claims for all Russian-speaking peoples have always been questionable, modern-day Ukraine and Belarus had strong political ties with the west and weren't enthusiastic about raise of Moscow.

It's interesting that dissidents and opposition in Belarus have so strong ties to Lithuania - historically, Belarus was Russian-speaking region under Lithuanian rule. Apparently, something of it is still in the culture.

From Polish point of view, we would love Belarus and Ukraine getting their crap together, founding stable democracies and joining EU - Putin would be furious :twisted:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 9:02 am

magz wrote:

From Polish point of view, we would love Belarus and Ukraine getting their crap together, founding stable democracies and joining EU - Putin would be furious :twisted:

Putin will be dead one day, and some other a$$hole will take his place.
He might forget and drink some of his radiated tea, or put on some poisoned underpants by mistake. :mrgreen:

God, I find humanity disgusting. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2021, 10:25 pm

Putin is not “humanity.”

Putin is Putin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 12:14 am

pooo - tin.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2021, 12:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
pooo - tin.

Poo put in tin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 1:23 am

this world might be safer with him in that tin.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 2:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Putin is not “humanity.”

Putin is Putin.

He’s Cutin to me. :heart: Image
No I’m not a Putin bot, or gay, but still find him cute like a puppy

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 4:37 am

magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
pooo - tin.

Poo put in tin.

That is probably why he is so mean and assassinates every person that crosses him, these days.
He must have been ribbed at skool, because of his name, and is getting even, now.

:chin:
Hmmm.
A damned good reason to become the leader of the country. :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 6:43 am

I wonder where they got the idea of trying to force an aircraft down in order to detain someone politically inconvenient?

Quote:
LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) — The European rerouting of the Bolivian presidential plane over suspicions that National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden was aboard ignited outrage Wednesday among Latin American leaders who called it a stunning violation of national sovereignty and disrespect for the region.

But as President Evo Morales arrived home after an unplanned 14-hour layover in Vienna, there was no immediate sign that Latin America anger would translate into a rush to bring Snowden to the region that had been seen as likeliest to defy the U.S. and give him asylum.

Snowden was still believed to be in the transit area of Moscow's international airport. As his case grinds on, it appears to illustrate the strength of U.S. influence, despite the initial sense that the Obama administration lost control of the situation when China allowed Snowden to flee Hong Kong.

Morales originally planned to fly home from a Moscow summit via Western Europe, stopping in Lisbon, Portugal and Guyana to refuel. His plane was diverted to Vienna Tuesday night after his government said France, Spain and Portugal all refused to let it through their airspace because they suspected Snowden was on board. Spain's ambassador to Austria even tried to make his way onto the plane on the pretext of having a coffee to check that Snowden wasn't there, Morales said.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/bolivia-plane-incident-infuriates-latin-america-211051576.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 7:28 am

If I was the leader of a country, I would get my black-ops team to create an "accident".
Perhaps get them to rig it so his car is T-boned.
That would show him.
Don't mess with the skunk! 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2021, 8:40 am

Pepe wrote:
If I was the leader of a country, I would get my black-ops team to create an "accident".
Perhaps get them to rig it so his car is T-boned.
That would show him.
Don't mess with the skunk! 8)

I'm glad you're not, then.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:59 am

Am I right in thinking that an apparent threat was made to shoot the plane down, also containing citizens from many other countries including children if the pilots didn't comply? If so I personally think it warrants a good missile or two at some Belarusian fighters as "persuasion" to send them a not so ambiguous message.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2021, 11:23 am

Nades wrote:
Am I right in thinking that an apparent threat was made to shoot the plane down, also containing citizens from many other countries including children if the pilots didn't comply? If so I personally think it warrants a good missile or two at some Belarusian fighters as "persuasion" to send them a not so ambiguous message.

Who should fire these missiles?
Because that party would get accused of starting a war and then Russia would happily come "to rescue". Being in one of the places popular among Russian and Belarussian dissidents, I wouldn't look forward to it.

One thing is what is right, another thing is what is possible. That's why some states still exist.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 11:29 am

Nades wrote:

Everything Magz said, but also, how exactly should that unfold? Should America have magically teleported fighters into the area? Should a neighbouring country start a war over it?

This is the real world and not an action movie, blowing s**t up isn't always a viable solution to problems in the real world.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う