4 mass shootings in 6 hours leave 39 wounded, 5 dead

Page 5 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 2:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

We can start with the US President who openly pushed for segregation in the Senate and did nothing legislatively to block the results of court decisions that undid Brown v Board of Ed and allowed gerrymandering and segregation of school districts. Again, the result today is that we have many 100% black schools with zero kids proficient in math and reading. We have entire school districts with tens of thousands of students that are 95%+ black and test proficiencies near zero. It's not something made up.

You're the one bringing up charter schools as a distraction, not me. That's always the distraction technique used by those defending the current segregation model and have no better solution. (I don't mean to suggest you support the current US model of segregation).

The President has no solution because he prefers segregation. If US city suburbs are exposed to the "racial jungle" as he calls it, Democrats lose votes and elections. The gerrymandered lines stay in place and children aren't given options to attend better schools (public, charter, or private) outside their district.

I only mention charter schools because you've used them in the past.

Generally speaking there's inertia to overcome at a local level because there's always a desire to make not having to leave a viable option. Parents will generally accept any solution since the bigger issues aren't their problem or responsibility.

Gutting the public system in hopes that it will allow everyone to move to something else never works as advertised and it leaves what's left of the public system even worse off.

Since historically that has played out to the detriment of some communities there's a hesitancy to support that option even if it means appearing to support limiting choice over all.

Gridlock and potential harms of all proposed solutions contribute to the maintaining of the problem you describe but you seem to always reframe that as solely the Democrats and civil rights activists.

I don't disagree with you about these problems existing, I just disagree when it comes to why that situation exists and how it can be solved. People who don't support your solution aren't to blame for the issue continuing to exist because if the solutions you proposed were so self-evidently ideal they would be more broadly supported.

Why the situation exists isn't a matter of debate, it's a matter of known US history. Schools were segregated even within districts up until 1954. The same district had a black school and a white school. Brown v Board of Ed ended that structure but it provided no guidance around how to desegregate. In the 1960's and 1970's busing became a huge political topic as courts began to force busing to desegregate. Biden and others effectively blocked desegregation by not allowing federal funding to be withheld from local communities who refused to desegregate. In 1974, the court case Milliken v Bradley decided that gerrymandering of school districts could be done to segregate entire districts but that within a single district courts could still force desegregation. The result is what was originally called "white flight" and today basically those districts are nearly 100% black. Most US cities have one single gerrymandered school district that is almost entirely black with surrounding schools in suburbs that are diverse with a mix of students (including black students) better reflecting the overall state or region. The segregated black school district is underfunded and has terrible performance while the the surrounding, diverse schools have excellent performance. Even small rural schools have dramatically better academic performance than the segregated schools.
Pick pretty much any US city and it's the same result.

I haven't proposed a solution here. I don't get what you mean with that part of your post. Let's not deflect.