I dislike the new pride flag design and here's why

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

GenderGay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2022, 11:25 am

This is my first time seeing the one with the intersex addition. In regards to that specific flag I would rather listen to what intersex folk think about it but about the inclusion of trans flag colors I really appreciate it.

Hello, I’m new to this site, ltmk if I’m overstepping. But as a trans person we are often excluded from lgbt+, generally unintentionally but still. Their was a comment on page 1 saying something about how “transgenderism” shouldn’t be included as it has nothing to do with sexuality. Anyone with this belief clearly doesn’t know queer history witch I don’t fault you for but it highlights the need for including trans pride colors in the rainbow flag. We are part of this community, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender. We are right there. And btw transgenderism is a term invented by transphobes to attack trans people. I find it offensive. When people see the rainbow flag they tend to forget about trans people, to the average person that flag symbolizes “gay rights,” “love is love,” ect. rarely go people think about trans people when seeing that flag. We are a footnote. Incorporating trans colors highlights us. Yes we have our own flag but by incorporating us into the rainbow flag it’s a statement aboig how we matter. We are part of this community.

This is especially important now with the rise in transphobia and legislative attacks against us in the US. Cis people (including lgb ppl), have a habit of leaving us behind or just not caring about what happens to us. It’s not ok. Especially in regards to when LGB ppl do it. After all trans ppl have historically done for this community we deserve better. Flags with our colors are a reminder to the rest of the community that we are apart of it, we matter.

I belive the inclusion of brown and black stripes comes down to similar reasoning. Black and brown people have been so important to this community and are also regularly overlooked. It’s to highlight our inclusion not to imply we weren’t included (witch honestly we weren’t included a lot of the time).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 1:08 pm

^Agree with all of that. 8) I've probably already posted similar thoughts in this thread, but I'll post again to double down. Also, I find that the more trans people I meet, know, that I'm friends with etc the more firmly I'm committed to trans inclusion in the whole lgbT spectrum. It'd be nice if a LOT more gay males made that shift to include/protect our trans brothers & sisters. In time, perhaps, like all progress.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2022, 5:20 pm

Got to be honest, when I see the new pride flag, it's usually been in slacktivist marketing strategies by big corps around Pride Month. Most LGBT people I know use the old-school rainbow flag (or lesbian, bi, trans or non-binary depending on their identity).

I'm a non-binary lesbian, and I really want to say that trans people are more than welcome and included in the LGBT community as far as I'm concerned. Gender identity and sexual orientation are actually a lot more interwoven than people think

Rprop1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2022, 6:42 am

Okay so...
I agree.
More than anything else, my problem either it is that it is too heavily influenced with intersectionality and less of queerness. Now I think that there is a very simple and clean way to combat this. The easiest way would be to have 3 flags that are (more common than not) flown together to highlight the importance of intersectionality and inclusiveness of queer culture but does not negate the fact that it is about queerness (gender and sexuality) first and foremost. These 3 flags would be the original rainbow (that acts like the Olympic rings, how every countries flag has at least one colour of the rings) and then one that speaks to the queerness in BiPOC communities, and finally an intersex and generally gender inclusive flag.