Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Whisper88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2021, 6:45 pm

I am 32 years of age and was diagnosed with Autism (would have been Aspersers if it was still in the DSM) and ADHD a month ago. After seeking out mental health in the past I have struggled trying to cope with my daily life when I would have a bad stretch of time in my mental health. Normally when I would have a crisis like a major work change, or something that affects my daily routine to an extreme where I have to relearn a new environment. This last time (a month ago) I had transitioned from one position to my old position due to not being able to handle the stress. So after many years of not understanding what was going on with me I decided to finally seek out the help I needed and found out something I had been suspicious about. For the last few weeks I have had ups and downs and trying to understand how and what parts of me are autistic. I know what is apart of the ADHD because that is blatantly apparent in my life. But I struggle with identifying what parts of me are under the autism classification. I fear that maybe its all in my head and that I'm actually not struggling the way I thought I was. When I was ok I felt "NT" however when I would hit a slight bump in the road the traits of either the Autism or ADHD would rear their ugly head. Maybe I'm just cynical and don't find peoples random jokes amusing. What if I simply don't like people and therefore I am just anti social. But no matter, I am here and trying to adapt. Thank you to anyone who replies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 6:57 pm

Whisper88 wrote:
I fear that maybe its all in my head and that I'm actually not struggling the way I thought I was. When I was ok I felt "NT" however when I would hit a slight bump in the road the traits of either the Autism or ADHD would rear their ugly head. .

The diagnosis at least gives you a roadmap on how to approach situations that trigger episodes for you. Now that you know, take it as a positive step to now do something about it.

Fear is the path to the darkside.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 7:30 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you will find some nice people here, and some kindred spirits.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 9:32 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 4:55 am

"Autism" is just a very general label for what is, in fact, many different conditions, all involving some very general categories of traits that vary widely from one autistic person to another.

So, instead of worrying about whether you "really" fit the label, perhaps you might find it more productive to make lists of your specific personal strengths and weaknesses, with the latter including your specific social impairments, attention issues, other executive functioning issues, and sensory issues. Such lists will help you (and your therapist) strategize on ways to use your specific strengths to work around your specific weaknesses.

You are welcome here on Wrong Planet regardless of whether you technically fit the "autism" label.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 23 Jun 2021, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 5:52 am

Welcome

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 7:04 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, don't mind me, I'm just the janitor cleaning up the messes people make around here. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 4:47 pm