Now I'm worried about war

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 5:11 pm

Just as I was eating my dinner tonight my boyfriend put the news on and the first thing the reporter said was this https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/14 ... defence-vn

I'm panicking in case the UK goes to war with Russia and that we're all going to die. All Russia needs to do is press one button and the UK will be blasted off the face of the planet and other countries will suffer radiation poisoning, which is worse than COVID. I hope our government doesn't let this happen.
If it does then we've all wasted a year and a half of our lives in and out of lockdown avoiding a virus which all seems to pointless and trivial now because a war means every person and animal in the UK is going to die.

I really wish he hadn't put the news on. Will this lead to a war against Russia, or is it just one of those wars where the general public don't die? If Boris Johnson cared that much about our lives then surely he wouldn't allow our country to be nuked?

Reassure me please, I can't sleep on this.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 5:33 pm

There's been better reasons for Russia to press the button before and they didn't. Russia doesn't want to be wiped from the earth any more than you'd like to be.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 6:04 pm

Relax. Russia does not want to go to war with the UK as they would loose too many people and they would also loose the respect they have that the UK gives them since the present Russian president came into office. Russia really has too much to loose if they took on Britain they would loose more then they would gain as Russia relies on Britain for a good chunk of its wealth.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 6:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:

You worry about everything. How many of the things you feared have come to pass?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:12 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You worry about everything. How many of the things you feared have come to pass?

I can't help worrying. It's just that they were saying that this was an act of provocation from Russia, like they want to invade us, and I know that Russia is not a country you can trust. I don't see what they have against the UK.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:49 pm

Yes, but - How many of the things you feared have come to pass?

It's important that you answer the question, not just argue why your worry is justified. Just answer the question.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 8:23 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Yes, but - How many of the things you feared have come to pass?

It's important that you answer the question, not just argue why your worry is justified. Just answer the question.

I don't know do I? There is always something to worry about. I worried about this pandemic and it happened.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 9:02 pm

Keep a worry notebook. Every time you are worried about something, write down what you're afraid of, and the date.

Look it over in a month or two. How many came true?

Or you could even do this retrospectively by looking at your old posts here. "I'm worried about ..." and the date, and whether or not it came true.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Or you could even do this retrospectively by looking at your old posts here. "I'm worried about ..." and the date, and whether or not it came true.

I do quite often look back at my old posts here and read what I was worrying, or depressing, about. Some of it makes me laugh at myself.

But it's still valid to worry about a world war 3, especially when people say it can happen at any time and if the nuclear bomb doesn't kill you the radiation poisoning will, and there'll be no doctors, hospitals or NHS staff to treat you, because they'll all be dying or already dead, and so you'll just have to suffer until you die a slow, painful, terrifying, lonely death.
I sometimes have nightmares about this sort of thing, where the news has just announced the country is being nuked and that everybody's going to die within the next 15 minutes and all you've got to do is sit helplessly and wait for the big boom and then death. I just hope that thing ain't true where they say you're still conscious for a few seconds after dying quickly.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 11:06 pm

Nothing's going to happen. Just a little diplomacy and wringing of hands.

It might be that Russia is "testing" how serious the US is about responding to incidents like this. But as another commenter said, Russia doesn't want mutual destruction any more than we do.

Now go to bed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 1:00 pm

I can assure you that there will be no war between Russia and the UK. To say the least, it wouldn't be in the best interest of either nation.

The "Express" newspaper is notorious for being a sensationalistic tabloid. They are the types who will say the Loch Ness Monster exists because somebody pasted a big lizard-like creature on a photo of Loch Ness.

Please don't think of them as folks who practice serious journalism. Don't take anything they write seriously. It's similar to our National Enquirer.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 1:17 pm

Joe,
I can relate to your chronic anxiety because I have a stress disorder and ADHD.

You mentioned that you were diagnosed with ADHD and that it seems to be a problem for you, more than your childhood diagnosis of Aspergers. Have you ever looked into ADHD therapy or medication? It can help to calm your racing thoughts and the adrenaline boost that happens from a hyperactive mind. You would still be able to take your Sertraline.

Just a thought. It might really help you. I was surprised how much ADHD meds helped my anxiety.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 5:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe,
I can relate to your chronic anxiety because I have a stress disorder and ADHD.

You mentioned that you were diagnosed with ADHD and that it seems to be a problem for you, more than your childhood diagnosis of Aspergers. Have you ever looked into ADHD therapy or medication? It can help to calm your racing thoughts and the adrenaline boost that happens from a hyperactive mind. You would still be able to take your Sertraline.

Just a thought. It might really help you. I was surprised how much ADHD meds helped my anxiety.

I haven't actually been officially diagnosed with ADHD because I'm afraid of being declined because of already being diagnosed with this stupid AS. Some doctors have the "ADHD doesn't exist" attitude or might not give me ADHD meds if I'm not officially diagnosed.

Sertraline doesn't really help my anxiety, it helps more with depression and controlling anger. I sometimes still have my moments but nowhere near as bad as I was before I started taking Sertraline.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Just as I was eating my dinner tonight my boyfriend put the news on and the first thing the reporter said was this https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/14 ... defence-vn

That is nothing/k.
You worry too much. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:39 pm

Joe90 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I can't help worrying. It's just that they were saying that this was an act of provocation from Russia, like they want to invade us, and I know that Russia is not a country you can trust. I don't see what they have against the UK.

I have realistically bigger concerns about China declaring war on Australia.
I'd rather be dead than red, literally.
But Taiwan will be going first.
Hopefully, we have at least 6 years before it comes to a Chinese invasion of Australia.

The UK has Nato at its doorstep.
It is also at Russia's doorstep.
I think Russia has bigger concerns than the UK. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can assure you that there will be no war between Russia and the UK. To say the least, it wouldn't be in the best interest of either nation.

The "Express" newspaper is notorious for being a sensationalistic tabloid. They are the types who will say the Loch Ness Monster exists because somebody pasted a big lizard-like creature on a photo of Loch Ness.

Please don't think of them as folks who practice serious journalism. Don't take anything they write seriously. It's similar to our National Enquirer.

I think this is cloud Kuckoo land worry.
I think it is so silly, sorry, Joe. ;)