Andrew Cuomo sexually harrassed mutiple women

Page 10 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 8:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Hey, long time no see, possibly the one person still here who knows my full WP origin story!

I won't tell if you don't.

It's been a long time since we've crossed paths. Hope things are good. I'm sure neither of us are quite the same people we were back then.

Quote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I realize the conversation has taken other turns, but ...

One of the largest issues I've seen in the area of sexual harassment is that harassers are often unaware of what they've done. They know they flirted or made contact, but they are convinced it was welcome. They don't understand how the power dynamic makes it impossible for the targets to give any real consent. More than once I've had to connect the dots for someone (not my own harassers) who insisted they had not done anything wrong.

I don't know if that was the case here, of course. It is something I always wonder when these cases come up: does the person even realize?

If they realize and lie to cover, what a scumbag.

I'm actually kinda split here, on the one hand I absolutely believe that Cuomo is arrogant enough to believe that his advances were all welcomed, he's also made so many statements on sexual harassment concerning other politicians, notably Brett Kavanaugh, that I have a hard time believing he could be quite so ignorant. I'd maybe buy some cognitive dissonance, it's amazing what people can convince themselves is different when they do it.

I don't think we'll ever know, but I personally believe recognizing the potential for dissonance is important to helping society evolve on the issue and find better solutions. People treat this issue as so black and white, when all my conversations have indicated it tends to be much more nuanced to the people involved. Failing to understand that is a large roadblock standing between destructive situations and effective solutions, IMHO.

Quote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
The Democratic party forces its harassing politicians to resign. The party seems to feel it has to in order to have consistency with its claims about believing and supporting women. The Republican party doesn't make such claims, so the outcomes are different.

Never forget that power corrupts and corrupts absolutely.

Eh, that's a recent and inconsistent development, the way Bill Clinton's accusers were treated (bimbo eruptions), including the forcible rape one that was buried for many years is objectively bad, and Teddy Kennedy is still remembered as the "Lion of the Senate" rather than as a serial abuser who abandoned a young woman to drown while he swam to safety to call his father to fix it, among others. I think the GOP has just collectively decided that they can't win with these things, they put up a squeaky clean guy like Romney and it's "binders full of women", Kavanaugh gets dragged with an unsubstantiated accusation (IIRC there is no proof he even met his accuser during the time period in question), while Clinton skates with feminists like Gloria Steinem saying he gets "one free grope". I'm not saying it's great, but I also understand why they've decided to just not play when these accusations come up.

Both parties are good at ignoring what stands in the way of something they want.

Clinton's impeachment was more than 20 years ago and, while harassment was part of the social conversation then, society was still accepting much more than it does today.

I'd like us to be done with the problem for good, but it keeps bouncing back. I'm hoping the ratio is two steps forward for each one back, at least, but that might be naive.

(I had a far more detailed response typed out but seem to have lost it. Oh well)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 8:52 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Both parties are good at ignoring what stands in the way of something they want.

That's a pretty concise version of where I'm at, my cynicism has devolved to the point where I just skip straight past "because it was the right thing to do" and start looking for profit motives when it comes to any political maneuver. The one that always comes to mind is the way Al Franken got railroaded out of the senate to clear the line of fire on Roy Moore and Donald Trump; there was no dressing that up as genuine indignation, it was a purely political calculation, and I think enough people realized that to help tank Gillibrand when she tried to run in 2020. Of course I already knew she was a hack after her political change up after being appointed to Hilary's old seat, but I realize that my level of interest in these things is not normal. :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:00 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Bush still has the higher death toll, and he had set this whole ugly forever war into motion from the beginning, not Obama.

Wow. This guy stole 5 apples, my guy only stole 3...LOL

I use the example:
Hitler murdered millions.
Stalin murdered more.
Both were wery naughty boyz. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:02 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I guess bombs dropped by Democrats are more compassionate than bombs dropped by Republicans. They hug you compassionately before they kill you.

But, but, they are killing you for the *right* reasons. 8O

Last edited by Pepe on 12 Aug 2021, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:02 pm

Pepe wrote:
I use the example:
Hitler murdered millions.
Stalin murdered more.
Both were wery naughty boyz. 8)

[ laughs in Mao ]

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:08 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
The Democratic party forces its harassing politicians to resign. The party seems to feel it has to in order to have consistency with its claims about believing and supporting women. The Republican party doesn't make such claims, so the outcomes are different.

You are missing something in the equation.
Cuomo was protected by the Democrats and the left-wing media up until the orange man was out of the picture.
That is pure corruption/hypocrisy from the left. 8)

I'm not convinced that is true. While the history on it has been a bit mixed (eg Clinton, as Dox pointed out), I can think back to many past instances where resignations were forced and candidates couldn't even get out of the gate. But the more important someone is the party in the moment, the less likely the party is to push them out. Clinton, Cuomo at the height of his popularity, etc seemed to be too essential in the moment. You'll never find perfect consistency in politics.

Oh, Ok.
But are you saying this is *not* corrupt behaviour? 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:15 pm

Off Topic
DW_a_mom wrote:
People treat this issue as so black and white, when all my conversations have indicated it tends to be much more nuanced to the people involved. Failing to understand that is a large roadblock standing between destructive situations and effective solutions, IMHO.

Part of the definition of being intellectually "intelligent" is seeing these "nuances".
Hyperpartisanship, binarism, black&white thinking is anti-intellectual. 8)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 8:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Or...And this may be a stretch...They could listen to the video in the initial post of the thread, being a state's Attorney General decribing some of the findings of her investigation? I mean, it was there with no mention of politics, and being discussed by the majority of people in the thread, from the beginning.

I've seen various mention of Obama, the democrats protecting Cuomo till Trump was turfed and even the Australian Labour party somehow managed to creep into this thread. No surprises, the usual suspects.

Absolutely no mention of Cuomo's victims, why? because the OP and his compadres never cared about them.

I'm actually the only person on this thread staying on topic.

In the future, you might be better off keeping your inaccurate opinions about my intentions out of the conversation. You will get this thread shutdown again.

It honestly doesn't require sherlock holmes to work out that you created a thread about Cuomo harrassing multiple women to then talking about Obama killing innocent people to know that you derailed your own thread,.

Explain to me how Tulsi Gabbard was relevant to the topic? Also, can you explain to me how a veteran who served two tours in Iraq is a traitor.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 3:48 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Explain to me how Tulsi Gabbard was relevant to the topic? Also, can you explain to me how a veteran who served two tours in Iraq is a traitor.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm

Dox47 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 5:58 pm

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Cuomo was protected by the Democrats and the left-wing media up until the orange man was out of the picture.

I'm not convinced that is true. While the history on it has been a bit mixed (eg Clinton, as Dox pointed out), I can think back to many past instances where resignations were forced and candidates couldn't even get out of the gate. But the more important someone is the party in the moment, the less likely the party is to push them out. Clinton, Cuomo at the height of his popularity, etc seemed to be too essential in the moment. You'll never find perfect consistency in politics.

Oh, Ok.

I'm mulling over this "out loud" as I write ...

My first reaction to your statement was "of course not," but I realize I mostly don't feel corruption is the right term. The calculation a political party makes in these situations is not "dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery." The failing by the harasser/politician is a personal one, that only directly affects the politician and those who work for the politician. It isn't one of policy, or of putting personal interests ahead of those of constituents; it isn't a violation of the oath of office in any direct sense, and it doesn't have direct effect on the politician/harassers ability to do their job in accordance with the needs of constituents. It is only in the broader sense of setting tone and precedence for the nation that the behavior will have destructive effects beyond the people involved. I see potential for corruption in how the party chooses to project to the public its response to the behavior, but not in the choice of response itself. The choice of response is going to be a lot more pragmatic, weighing the positive the harasser/politician can accomplish in office, against the strong anti-harassment messaging a resignation would send.

In the private sector we fire harassers to protect against lawsuits, and to send a message about the willingness of a company to do what is needed to insure a safe and healthy work environment for all. But politicians work for the voters, not their political parties (even if it often seems like they do), which changes the equation substantially.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
The choice of response is going to be a lot more pragmatic, weighing the positive the harasser/politician can accomplish in office, against the strong anti-harassment messaging a resignation would send.

That's actually what makes the Clinton and Kennedy responses so repugnant; in both cases, forcing them to resign would not have changed the political calculus, Gore as president instead of Clinton, or whatever Massachusetts liberal instead of Kennedy, but they were politically powerful and so not held accountable. Clinton particularly sticks in the craw even 20 years later due to the way the feminists of the time performed tortuous logical back-flips in order to excuse his behavior, it was really a preview of the turn evangelicals would later take with Trump, though in many ways I would argue more hypocritical. Confronted with Trump's character, Christian voters shrugged, where as feminists actively defended Bill Clinton and attempted to justify his action or even argued that the real problem was Republican prudery in the face of a sexually vital president.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 6:58 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Oh, Ok.

My first reaction to your statement was "of course not," but I realize I mostly don't feel corruption is the right term. The calculation a political party makes in these situations is not "dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery." The failing by the harasser/politician is a personal one, that only directly affects the politician and those who work for the politician. It isn't one of policy, or of putting personal interests ahead of those of constituents; it isn't a violation of the oath of office in any direct sense, and it doesn't have direct effect on the politician/harassers ability to do their job in accordance with the needs of constituents. It is only in the broader sense of setting tone and precedence for the nation that the behavior will have destructive effects beyond the people involved. I see potential for corruption in how the party chooses to project to the public its response to the behavior, but not in the choice of response itself. The choice of response is going to be a lot more pragmatic, weighing the positive the harasser/politician can accomplish in office, against the strong anti-harassment messaging a resignation would send.

In the private sector we fire harassers to protect against lawsuits, and to send a message about the willingness of a company to do what is needed to insure a safe and healthy work environment for all. But politicians work for the voters, not their political parties (even if it often seems like they do), which changes the equation substantially.

My position, unlike me, is rather simple.
Protecting someone who has been compromised to the point of having to resign, is a corrupt act.
Hyperpartisanship is not a virtue in my book.

If the orange man was still a threat, this protection would have continued, of that, I am convinced.
I am not a spring chicken and have seen too much of life not believe in the perversity of political animals.

The wise old skunk has spoken. 8)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 7:08 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
The choice of response is going to be a lot more pragmatic, weighing the positive the harasser/politician can accomplish in office, against the strong anti-harassment messaging a resignation would send.

That's actually what makes the Clinton and Kennedy responses so repugnant; in both cases, forcing them to resign would not have changed the political calculus, Gore as president instead of Clinton, or whatever Massachusetts liberal instead of Kennedy, but they were politically powerful and so not held accountable. Clinton particularly sticks in the craw even 20 years later due to the way the feminists of the time performed tortuous logical back-flips in order to excuse his behavior, it was really a preview of the turn evangelicals would later take with Trump, though in many ways I would argue more hypocritical. Confronted with Trump's character, Christian voters shrugged, where as feminists actively defended Bill Clinton and attempted to justify his action or even argued that the real problem was Republican prudery in the face of a sexually vital president.

I personally feel that replacing a president is highly disruptive for a nation. I would never do it over what was essentially a personal failing, and Gore lacked the political skill Clinton had at that time. Back in the primaries, we didn't "really" know about Clinton's personal failings; it was just rumblings, and truth be told pretty much all politicians back then had strong failings when it came to how they interacted with women, so the odds of replacing him as a candidate with someone better were pretty small. Once he was in office, it seemed too late to me. Nor were we fully aware back then of just how deep scars from harassment would run, so nearly everyone was more likely to pay lip service then move on. But Clinton wasn't impeached over the harassment, he was impeached over potential perjury, and on that score I felt his lawyer instincts had threaded the needle of "what the definition of is, is" fairly well (similar to the way Trump can claim his call with the Ukraine was "perfect;" both Clinton's statement that raised the perjury question, and Trump's phone call to convey a message without saying it, involve a skill certain professions understand quite well).

Still, I look back at my thoughts from the time with regret. There was clearly an element of believing what one wants to believe involved. By the time Hilary first ran as a primary candidate for president, there had been enough evolution in my mind for a friend's statement against her representing the Democratic party to really stick with me: "the last thing we need is Bill Clinton in the White House with too much time on his hands."

I strongly believe, based on my own lifetime observations, that you have to look at each time period differently on this issue. Everything about our culture and our understanding has been evolving and moving throughout my adult life. Some steps forward, some back, some lateral but distinctly different. Past examples can be instructive, but judging how they were handled by today's standards isn't reasonable. That isn't to say past behaviors become any more "right," but the way they were received was highly dependent on exactly where the shifting norms stood. If you are going to make judgements about the responses to the behavior, you have to understand and allow for the societal climate of the time period.

Most women my age have faced a significant amount of harassment during our professional careers. But most of it was during a time we were culturally expected to move on and push the experience out of our minds. No one would be demoted or fired for it; the men were just "acting like men." To suggest that the workplaces protecting those men were corrupt would fail to consider just how normal it was. Am I grateful that we now understand it should never have been normalized, and that real harm results? Absolutely. But getting to the right answer is a process, and where any of us were 20 years, 40 years ago, is very different from today.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Oh, Ok.

My position, unlike me, is rather simple.
Protecting someone who has been compromised to the point of having to resign, is a corrupt act.
Hyperpartisanship is not a virtue in my book.

If the orange man was still a threat, this protection would have continued, of that, I am convinced.
I am not a spring chicken and have seen too much of life not believe in the perversity of political animals.

The wise old skunk has spoken. 8)

I believe in clear lines of separation between compromising behavior that is personal in nature, and compromising behavior that direct involves governing decisions. The former can be abhorrent and may result in voters abandoning the candidate in the next election, but it won't harm the structure of government beyond our ability to positively perceive our government. The only reason the behavior is compromising is usually that political opponents have picked up on it and weaponized it; without that, most voters would never even know.

There are no perfect people. Jimmy Carter had the strongest personal character of any politician in my life time, but he wasn't a great president. I've long ago accepted that one has to make a pragmatic choice on these issues.

I don't want to in any way defend anyone who engages in harassment. I have seen and experienced the real harm it causes, and the ripples of that harm. But I don't see the handling of it as an issue of corruption; I just don't feel it fits the definition. It's more a failing to do everything possible to protect victims, a weakness of understanding, a failure to see the needs of victims as exceeding those of politics. What I will fight the strongest against is demonizing the victims; that has no place in all this. I suppose I should apply the word corruption to the demonizing; that fits the definition.

I understand and respect your point, I'm just in a different place.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 12:41 am

Quote:
In 2001, as he set out on his first, disastrous campaign for public office, Andrew Cuomo invited a columnist for this magazine to join him for a car ride through New York City. Bill Clinton had just departed office, leaving Washington in Republican hands after being impeached over his sexual relationship with an intern who worked for him, and Cuomo, the youngest member of his Cabinet, was impatiently angling to run for governor against George Pataki, the man who had defeated his father, the liberal giant Mario Cuomo. The story’s dynastic elements were irresistible, but the younger Cuomo sought to downplay them, portraying Clinton as his true model, emphasizing what he had learned from watching the master tactician.

In the backseat of his car, Cuomo deconstructed Clinton’s use of physical contact, clasping the (male) columnist’s shoulder, holding his hand, stroking his knee. “He knew every nuance of what he was doing,” Cuomo explained. “The effect of touching you there, or touching you here.”

You can say this for Andrew Cuomo: He always knew what he was doing — he was able to dissect, with a clinician’s eye, the many ways in which a man in power could control, dominate and humiliate those he touched. “You can’t build something …” he said, 20 years later, on the phone on the Friday morning after his shocking resignation. He paused and searched for the right metaphor for his heavy-handed philosophy of governance. “You can’t talk a nail into going into a board. You can’t charm the nail into a board. It has to be hit with a hammer.”

Quote:
The end came in the form of a report, produced by State Attorney General Letitia James and released to the public on August 3. Cuomo knew it would be embarrassing, but he’d preplanned a defense, his own 85-page rebuttal and a 14-minute video with an awkward photomontage of him innocently kissing and hugging all sorts of people. But it was far worse than he imagined, with more women — 11 in all — and more devastating details of harassment than he was prepared to counter. Worst of all, in the view of the governor’s dwindling number of defenders, were the allegations of a young female state trooper on his personal detail, who testified to investigators the governor alluded to her sex life and ran his hands over her body. Even friends who doubted the credibility or seriousness of the other accusations were aghast. “That trooper story, there’s just no explanation for that,” one person close to the governor said.

Source: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/andrew-cuomo-resigns.html