"Oops" Moments & "Where's My Glasses?"

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 5:45 am

Several years in my local town a Dad was distracted while his toddler was in the room with his laptop. He had not noticed that his one and a half year old daughter had been studying his computer and had decided to give it a try and ended up purchasing a little pink sports car for £8500. It was all sorted out when the purchaser was found to be under age and the car was re-listed.

But I wonder if anyone has ended up with something they did not expect?

My Mum made a few funny purchases when she does not use her glasses while shopping. Twice she has bought DVD's for my nieces and nephews with adult only content thinking that they were innocent for children to watch. One she assumed to be a Pingu DVD and was certainly not. How someone can make an obscene DVD about animated penguins (Which is what the childrens DVD was supposed to be) I don't know. She said the guy at the shop checkout was giving her strange looks. The other DVD she thought was Shawn the Sheep and ended up being an out and out horror movie where sheep go on a blood thirsty hunt to kill people, and even my brother didn't notice when he put the DVD on and sat down with his children to watch it and several of his kiddies were in shock... The problem is when such DVD's are made to look like copies of well known childrens films or programmes and one fails to see the 18 film rating on the back as one does not expect them to be something else.

Have any of you had similar moments happen to you or family and friends?

It is not just my Mum that gets those moments. I aas listening to the radio and a caller rang up and gave an account of how her grandmother had gone to buy deoderaunt and had ended up spraying scented floral air freshener under her arms as she did not have her glasses on when she had bought it.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 10:19 am

Oops alright … :P

A few similar stories …

Paul Stoute says his 14-month-old daughter, Sorella, was recently playing with his smartphone when she tapped her way through the app's purchasing prompts and bought herself an early Sweet 16 present — a vintage car. Stoute says he panicked after receiving a congratulatory email, and he tried to get out of what turned out to be a $225 purchase. (It was a definite fixer-upper.) But after giving it some thought, Stoute says he and his wife decided to try to restore the roadster and give it to Sorella when she can drive.
https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2013/07/11/201196049/a-quick-history-of-accidental-online-purchases-by-kids?t=1628608307158

Dollshouse & Cookies
In January 2017, a 6-year-old Dallas girl made headlines for asking her family's new Amazon Echo, "Can you play dollhouse with me and get me a dollhouse?” reports the Verge. The device certainly pulled through with that last request, sending the family a KidKraft Sparkle mansion dollhouse worth $170 and four pounds of sugar cookies. Since then, the parents have added a code for purchases so this type of thing doesn't happen again.

A Horror Game
In 2015, film director Pat Higgins wrote an article on Huffington Post detailing how his 4-year-old daughter purchased the horror video game Until Dawn for £50 by mistake by turning on the controller and console and pressing the "X" button many times. Eventually, he got a refund of £50 in store credit, and admits the only game he would've bought anyway was Until Dawn.

A Karaoke Machine (found on reddit)…
My 3 year old purchased Stingray Karaoke. He was messing with the remote and pushing buttons really fast, and he purchased it before I could stop him.

So then I put on parental locks. But last month I had a $20 charge on my bill. Somehow, some way, my 1 year old daughter subscribed us to the Latin network.... I still don't know how she got around the parental locks.

Source: https://www.workingmother.com/parents-are-sharing-the-hilariously-random-things-their-kids-accidentally-purchased-online

Grandma buys X-rated ugly Christmas sweater by accident for Grandchild:
A grandmother who bought a 80c Christmas jumper was left mortified when she discovered it featured a very rude design.
Carolyn Hallam, 53, from Nottingham, in the UK, purchased her festive reindeer outfit from a car boot sale in her hometown and was excited to show it off.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/christmas/xrated-detail-on-grans-80c-jumper-goes-viral/news-story/9a1705d85ddb8df99104a74cc7886aea

With children off school and gaming online, parents face shock bills:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/apr/05/with-children-off-school-and-gaming-online-parents-face-shock-bills

Paper clip incident …
I recall someone in my family thinking they’d purchased some paperclips … turned out to be a mousemat with a pic of paperclips all over it …