Premature Birth increases odds of autistic child

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:28 am

Autism Risk Significantly Higher For Kids Born Premature, Study Finds

Quote:
A study looking at four decades of data on millions of children is showing just how much the timing of a child’s birth influences their risk of developing autism.

The research published online this week in the journal Pediatrics finds that the prevalence of autism is four times higher in kids born extremely preterm. The risk level remains elevated in all children born early, but declines the closer a baby is to full term at birth.

Increased odds of autism persisted for children born early whether they were male or female and regardless of genetic or environmental risk factors, researchers with the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai said.

The study included data on more than 4 million people born in Sweden between 1973 and 2013 from the Swedish Medical Birth Register. Researchers looked at records through 2015 to determine if the individuals were diagnosed with autism and then cross-referenced that information with each person’s gestational age at birth. They also analyzed the data to identify siblings in order to determine if genetics played a role.

Autism prevalence was 6.1% for children born extremely preterm — between 22 and 27 weeks gestation — according to the findings. Meanwhile, the developmental disorder affected 2.6% of those born at 28 to 33 weeks, 1.9% of children born at 34 to 36 weeks, 1.6% who arrived at 37 to 38 weeks and 1.4% of babies considered full term who were born between 39 and 41 weeks.

Researchers said the findings suggest that “preterm and also early term birth should be recognized as independent risk factors for ASD.” And, they said that there should be early evaluation and long-term follow-up for children born premature — especially those born at the earliest stages — to ensure that kids with autism are identified and able to access treatment.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:45 am

Premie squad reporting in. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 7:48 am

I was born premature (2-3 months premature?). Something that's interesting is a good portion of my cousins with ASD traits/full on autism on my dad's side of the family were born quite premature, too. I've always wondered if whatever gene(s) we have make premature birth more likely.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 7:50 am

I was full-term, but small. 5 pounds, 12 ounces.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

I was born a week after my expected due late.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:19 am

I was born two weeks after due date and had minimal vaccinations. Send in the
undiagnosing team.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:24 am

Not me.
My NT sister is.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 11:28 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I was born premature (2-3 months premature?). Something that's interesting is a good portion of my cousins with ASD traits/full on autism on my dad's side of the family were born quite premature, too. I've always wondered if whatever gene(s) we have make premature birth more likely.

I was born a month early. My dad's side also has a history of prematurity. However, historically this pattern has occurred in the males of the family. Until me as far as I know. My mum originally thought I was going to be a boy. The pregnancy apparently felt different than being pregnant with my sister somehow. So she assumed she was having a boy. The Ultrasound was somewhat inconclusive, I was curled up and didn't want to budge. However, the nurse told her that she was likely having another girl based on my heartrate stats. I was small and didn't weigh much but already I was a bit gangly in the limbs. Over the years paediatricians predicted that I would end up tall and sure enough I did.

There were differences between my older sister's behaviour and my behaviour. Mainly how quiet I was as a baby, people found it a bit odd but they weren't complaining. I did have a habit of throwing things when I wanted attention though, which was less well received. :lol:

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

11 Aug 2021, 12:17 pm

I dont know the details, but I know I wasn't born prematurely. My sister from another father was sgnificantly late.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 3:30 pm

I was born on time but with the cord around my neck. I was significantly underweight.

My mom always believed it was birth trauma that caused me to walk on toes...

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 3:43 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I was born a month early. My dad's side also has a history of prematurity. However, historically this pattern has occurred in the males of the family. Until me as far as I know. My mum originally thought I was going to be a boy. The pregnancy apparently felt different than being pregnant with my sister somehow. So she assumed she was having a boy. The Ultrasound was somewhat inconclusive, I was curled up and didn't want to budge. However, the nurse told her that she was likely having another girl based on my heartrate stats. I was small and didn't weigh much but already I was a bit gangly in the limbs. Over the years paediatricians predicted that I would end up tall and sure enough I did.

There were differences between my older sister's behaviour and my behaviour. Mainly how quiet I was as a baby, people found it a bit odd but they weren't complaining. I did have a habit of throwing things when I wanted attention though, which was less well received. :lol:

A lot of the premature-born kids that I referred to are females, which is interesting. One of my female second cousins was born even more premature than I was and is a bit more affected than I am.

My mom also said I was a lot quieter than my other siblings and rarely cried... until I was a toddler. Then I was referred to as a little Tasmanian devil that could not be tamed. I attribute that to my ADHD. :lol:

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 5:24 pm

I was born at 3 months early
doctors thought i wouldnt survive

but i did somehow

nobody in my family and its recent history as far as i know have autism so i think me being born dangerously early might be cause for my autism maybe

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 6:36 am

Birth weight might be even more important than birth time.

If I was 4 or more ounces lighter than I was, I would have had “low birth weight.”

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:59 am

I'm not exactly sure how much I weighed, but it was around the 4 pound mark.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2021, 10:25 am

I don’t know if I was premature but, coincidentally, my AS brother and I were the two who were low-birth weight with the cord wrapped around our respective necks. Our other siblings were all born uneventfully and at normal birth weight.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 10:29 am

Four pounds is certainly "low birth weight."

But it's actually pretty large for somebody born after 7 months' gestation.