New York introducing racially discriminatory law

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 5:51 am

Quote:
New York City is mandating proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter certain indoor businesses — including all indoor restaurants, entertainment venues and gyms, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday.

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/nyc-to-mandate-proof-of-vaccination-for-many-indoor-settings/

However:
Quote:
Young Black New Yorkers are especially reluctant to get vaccinated, even as the Delta variant is rapidly spreading among their ranks. City data shows that only 28 percent of Black New Yorkers ages 18 to 44 years are fully vaccinated, compared with 48 percent of Latino residents and 52 percent of white residents in that age group.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/nyregion/covid-vaccine-black-young-new-yorkers.html

The end result: A law that appears designed to negatively impact on a single racial group...
Those pesky Republicans, introducing a law that they know will mainly affect the Black community - No doubt we'll soon be hearing the Democrats (and the "left" in general) rise up over this obvious discrimination...

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 6:52 am

NY state's first black/blind governor got the job because someone else resigned.

NY state's first female governor got the job because someone else resigned.

For a state so progressive, it requires extreme measures to break boundaries; I have little respect for NY state. Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm a Jersey boy. Whatever disastrous nonsense legislation Albany imposes, Trenton quickly follows suit and adopts within 2-6 weeks. It's always been a disaster. Terrible NY state policies adopted by Jersey on delay, so I do worry what the hell they'll do.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:12 am

I'm sure all of NY's republican billionaires would happily purchase vaccines for the black residents if this law is discriminatory?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:42 am

As far as I’m concerned, people SHOULD, or perhaps MUST, get vaccinated.

This is a public health issue, not a civil liberties issue.

Imagine if all this vaccine resistance happened in the days of polio!

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:51 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
New York City is mandating proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter certain indoor businesses — including all indoor restaurants, entertainment venues and gyms, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday.

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/nyc-to-mandate-proof-of-vaccination-for-many-indoor-settings/

However:
Quote:
Young Black New Yorkers are especially reluctant to get vaccinated, even as the Delta variant is rapidly spreading among their ranks. City data shows that only 28 percent of Black New Yorkers ages 18 to 44 years are fully vaccinated, compared with 48 percent of Latino residents and 52 percent of white residents in that age group.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/nyregion/covid-vaccine-black-young-new-yorkers.html

The end result: A law that appears designed to negatively impact on a single racial group...
Those pesky Republicans, introducing a law that they know will mainly affect the Black community - No doubt we'll soon be hearing the Democrats (and the "left" in general) rise up over this obvious discrimination...

What's the issue with that? It's just coincidental many happen to be black but there is only one group of people to blame.....the ones not getting their vaccines.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 7:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
As far as I’m concerned, people SHOULD, or perhaps MUST, get vaccinated.

This is a public health issue, not a civil liberties issue.

Imagine if all this vaccine resistance happened in the days of polio!

I assumed this thread was about NY state as a whole since there's been so much talk of Cuomo lately. As far as our nation's largest city is concerned, the policy will be disastrous.

Even if we had 90%+ vaccination rate, our overlords at the local / state / national level could still play the same game. "The NEW epsilon variant is out, so, regardless of vaccination status, EVERYONE must wear a mask and/or stay home and/or shelter in place..."

It's very much a civil liberties issue. You're just hoping the magistrate will be more tolerant if more people are vaccinated. If you're vaccinated, you should have nothing to worry about. Even if EVERYONE was vaccinated, our overlords could keep playing this game for all eternity. Wake up, realize the trap you've fallen into, please.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 8:01 am

Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

However:
Quote:

What's the issue with that? It's just coincidental many happen to be black but there is only one group of people to blame.....the ones not getting their vaccines.

You know, that sounds awfully like the responce given when people complain about voter ID laws...

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 8:07 am

Brictoria wrote:
Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

However:
Quote:

You know, that sounds awfully like the responce given when people complain about voter ID laws...

I don't know much about voter ID laws, but what's wrong with voters having an ID too assuming that's what they legislated for?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 8:18 am

Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

However:
Quote:

I don't know much about voter ID laws, but what's wrong with voters having an ID too assuming that's what they legislated for?

In very simple terms:
In some states in the USA, a certain political party is trying to enact laws requiring voters to produce ID when voting, whilst the other party is claiming the laws are "racist" because one particular race is less likely to have\obtain an ID, and so be "discriminated against".

It's an "interesting" debate :)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 8:23 am

Brictoria wrote:
Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

However:
Quote:

In very simple terms:
In some states in the USA, a certain political party is trying to enact laws requiring voters to produce ID when voting, whilst the other party is claiming the laws are "racist" because one particular race is less likely to have\obtain an ID, and so be "discriminated against".

It's an "interesting" debate :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with producing ID to vote. Every US citizen irrespective or race has the right to obtain relevant ID. If they decide not to obtain basic ID then that's their problem. It's like saying airports are discriminating against black people for not letting them get in planes without passports.

Same with the vaccine, every US citizen has the right to one. Again if they decide not to have their vaccine that's their problem.

It doesn't seem racist to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 11:01 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

However:
Quote:

This is a woke type argument.

They are not being targeted because they are black. They are being targeted because they have not vaccinated. Even though DeBlasio probably knows more blacks will be affected blacks are not being targeted, anti vaxxers and the vaccine hesitant are.

The law is not so much discriminatory as it is inequitable. It does create not unequal opportunity but might very well create an unequal outcome.

There is no Republican involvement. This is an edict from a very progressive mayor.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 11:22 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
NY state's first black/blind governor got the job because someone else resigned.

NY state's first female governor got the job because someone else resigned.

For a state so progressive, it requires extreme measures to break boundaries; I have little respect for NY state. Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm a Jersey boy. Whatever disastrous nonsense legislation Albany imposes, Trenton quickly follows suit and adopts within 2-6 weeks. It's always been a disaster. Terrible NY state policies adopted by Jersey on delay, so I do worry what the hell they'll do.

New York being “so progressive” is not quite true. Do not let the fact the NYC(which controls the state) is reliably blue and vehemently anti Trump fool you. NYC voters elected Giuliani and Bloomberg and is about to elect Eric Adams who very publicly said “I’m running against a movement”.

What NYC is, is a solidly liberal city in the 1960s and 1970s sense.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 11:30 am

And this is an example of how systemic racism works.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 11:31 am

We have many Trump supporters even in certain parts of Queens.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 11:41 am

Another post based on stretching facts to serve an agenda.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 1:35 pm

I’m not one of those Trump supporters…..