Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 10:49 am

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 12:11 am

Ain't humans wonderful?

We think we have ideological primitives over in the west.
"Aint a cracker" to the foolishness over there.
Irrationality trumps again.

It is a mystery why people bring life into such a world farce. :scratch:

Edit: C.r.a.c.k.e.r. is censored?
Say what? 8O

Quote:
What does she's a cracker mean?
Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a racial epithet directed towards white people, used especially with regard to poor rural whites in the Southern United States.

Well, blow me down with a feather. 8O
Another cultural misunderstanding. :mrgreen:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 7:59 am

Cracker is a slur against poor white people.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
I feel sorry for the people there.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 11:37 am

Obama said it best; "Elections have consequences".

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 11:42 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:

There was also supposedly these words of wisdom as well:
"Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f–k things up"?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 11:47 am

Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

There was also supposedly these words of wisdom as well:
"Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f–k things up"?

The only thing worse than politics is more politics. 8)

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:47 pm

Well that was 20 years, thousands of lives, and billions of dollars well spent. I'm going to throttle the next person I meet who advocates US military-supported regime change.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 3:21 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Well that was 20 years, thousands of lives, and billions of dollars well spent. I'm going to throttle the next person I meet who advocates US military-supported regime change.

America can't afford the dollar price for being the world police any longer, since it is on the decline, sadly.
America may not be perfect, but t is better than the other mobs. 8)

Damn, I am glad I am getting old with no human kids. :mrgreen:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 5:04 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

I’ll take President Biden making a few logistical fumbles in a foreign country over all we likely would have seen with Trump.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 5:11 pm

roronoa79 wrote:

The idea that we could remove a regime without having to nation build was a foolish fantasy.

For perspective however, I will leave you with thoughts on all the women and girls who were able to get an education and start careers in the last 20 years, all the Afghan families that had 20 years to build and thrive, and the hope that it isn’t returning to exactly the place it once was. There are many people out there grateful for the opportunities the 20 years brought them. It helped me when I was reminded of this, at least.

Still, we do need to learn as a country not to fall into the fantasy that we can just take out a regime and magically change a nation’s course. It doesn’t work like that. Our hubris continually gets the better of us, and it’s time we just stopped.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:39 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I’ll take President Biden making a few logistical fumbles in a foreign country over all we likely would have seen with Trump.

We will never know, will we... 8)

Uncle Joe has to wear this fiasco, and he is squirming like a wiggly eel over it. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:41 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

The idea that we could remove a regime without having to nation build was a foolish fantasy.

For perspective however, I will leave you with thoughts on all the women and girls who were able to get an education and start careers in the last 20 years, all the Afghan families that had 20 years to build and thrive, and the hope that it isn’t returning to exactly the place it once was. There are many people out there grateful for the opportunities the 20 years brought them. It helped me when I was reminded of this, at least.

Still, we do need to learn as a country not to fall into the fantasy that we can just take out a regime and magically change a nation’s course. It doesn’t work like that. Our hubris continually gets the better of us, and it’s time we just stopped.

Agreed. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:02 pm

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Uncle Joe has to wear this fiasco, and he is squirming like a wiggly eel over it. 8)

It's curious that one of the "few logistical fumbles", which could easily be remedied, is the lack of troops there to retrieve the citizens of his country, whereas other countries such as the UK have sent troops, as have reportedly Germany and France. (His callous "that was 4 or 5 days ago" dismissal of questions about Afghanistan natives falling from the planes evacuating people certainly didn't give the impression of concern regarding the issue, either).

It's more than a "logistical fumble" to desert (reports suggest up to 15,000 of) your citizens, plus the many thousands who risked their lives to help your country...Particularly when other countries are making much greated efforts to rescue their own citizens.

Interestingly, it was only in the past 24 hours that he finally announced he "would mobilise 'every resource necessary'", many days after the disaster commenced, rather than doing so at that time.

He has also admited:
Quote:
Joe Biden admitted on Friday night that the US may not be able to rescue everyone it wants to from Afghanistan and said he could not guarantee the outcome of the "most difficult and dangerous airlift in history".

The US president said there was "risk of loss" in the evacuation amid warnings that 100,000 Afghans who had helped the Americans could be left to face Taliban reprisals.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/08/20/might-not-get-everyone-afghanistan-admits-joe-biden/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 11:26 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Before this thread get's derailed and becomes about Joe Biden, I noticed the advertising poster on the wall pre-Taliban and here's a similar poster post-taliban

Where do the Taliban get their ideas about attacking women. Just look over the border in Pakistan.
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/shoc ... 554ebea4b2

Pakistan's role in propping up the Taliban seems to be getting a free pass.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 11:34 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

It's curious that one of the "few logistical fumbles", which could easily be remedied, is the lack of troops there to retrieve the citizens of his country, whereas other countries such as the UK have sent troops, as have reportedly Germany and France. (His callous "that was 4 or 5 days ago" dismissal of questions about Afghanistan natives falling from the planes evacuating people certainly didn't give the impression of concern regarding the issue, either).

Sky News pounced on the fact that it wasn't "4 or 5 days" but rather 2.
It reminds me of how I am scrutinised.
People even open my "spoilers" to find fault wherever they can. :mrgreen:

Brictoria wrote:
Interestingly, it was only in the past 24 hours that he finally announced he "would mobilise 'every resource necessary'", many days after the disaster commenced, rather than doing so at that time.

He is as quick as Bush junior. :mrgreen:
I remember when Bush was told of 9/11, on real-time TV.
It took him some time to realise the situation, too.

Brictoria wrote:
He has also admited:
Quote:
Joe Biden admitted on Friday night that the US may not be able to rescue everyone it wants to from Afghanistan and said he could not guarantee the outcome of the "most difficult and dangerous airlift in history".

The US president said there was "risk of loss" in the evacuation amid warnings that 100,000 Afghans who had helped the Americans could be left to face Taliban reprisals.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/08/20/might-not-get-everyone-afghanistan-admits-joe-biden/

A fiasco, no matter who is responsible.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran