What do you miss about the 1990's

Page 7 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 10:13 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Last night? the series finished ages ago.

"Missed out" being past tense. The quote was from when season 1 first "aired".

I don't think the series is finished though, I'm sure there's going to be a season 3.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 7:34 am

That the 9/11 incident NEVER existed.....

....yet. :(

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 7:48 am

New Yorkers on Dec 31 1999 had no idea that in two years their world would be turned upside down.

Then 16 years later it would happen again.

Then again 4 years after that

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 10:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
New Yorkers on Dec 31 1999 had no idea that in two years their world would be turned upside down.

The “powers that be” worldwide depend on crises to unite the people in an easy common cause to maintain control. The pandemic is basically that…not caused by governments, just exploited by them. Plagues of various kinds have hit the earth throughout history, and this is nothing new. Wars have the same effect. When Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated, it didn’t send shockwaves through any society. Soon afterwards, armies facing each other expressed confusion as to WHY they were shooting each other. And from that point some decades later you end up with a Holocaust and then-unimaginable (in the archduke’s lifetime) death and destruction from the cumulative effects of the two world wars. America during this time was united in and by war. And then there was the worldwide economic depression in between. With Vietnam, the world was united by anti-war feeling. 9/11 became about retaliation against terrorist activities and terrorist governments giving safe haven to terrorists. The goal was to end Islamic extremism, and everyone in the world except Islamic extremists benefitted from US involvement.

At each point, the world as we knew it ended. The US after WWII benefitted from the best minds in the world working together in nuclear and rocket technology, and the result of those efforts was an explosion in things like computing, networking, and so on which leads to Wrong Planet, social media, YouTube, the ability to write and run code on mobile devices, etc. What changed in 9/11 was a trend backwards to a more restricted existence—TSA lines at airports, for example. Increased security should enhance and increase freedom, but for a time it seemed heavy handed. There was more paranoia for a while. And while I don’t subscribe to conspiracy theories myself, I can’t say it surprises me when other people do. Eventually the world of 9/11 became normal. Kids grew up in the shadow of 9/11 not knowing life could be any other way. Kids grew up thinking they had the same freedom I grew up with, but parents my age were too scared of human traffickers and creepers to let their kids explore the countryside or wander around town. I grew up with game consoles for when I couldn’t do anything else, but post 9/11 kids’ worlds revolved around them. Now we have the pandemic and loss of freedom is already normalized. Kids already are required to be vaccinated just to get into daycare, yet only now are adults screaming about how wrong it is to require anyone to be vaccinated. Obamacare has already withstood the courts on the basis that it’s never been proven that requiring people to buy healthcare is harmful to the person. So the precedent for requiring vaccinations against the pandemic has long been established. Children born now are already getting used to a world of needles, masks, and isolation. Once again, the world we knew is over.

I’m not making the point that the world is getting worse and worse. The truth is that the world is not fundamentally different than it was prior to the Great War. Wars will happen. Genocide will happen. And as long as people can move freely and populations increase, worldwide disease will happen. What’s happening now is nothing new, only new to MY generation.

Meanwhile, Americans all know what happens in 4-year intervals. Life under Dubya honestly was not all THAT BAD. The economy tanked because of mortgage securities trading. This was a long time coming, poor lending practices were not a secret, and the housing crisis had been predicted some two years in advance. Didn’t catch me by surprise at all, so when we saw that BOTH my wife and I were going to be out of a job, we put the house up for sale. For some people, that meant the end of the world. Before that was the telecomm and tech bubble, poor accounting practices that magically turned liabilities into profits. The end of the world. Dubya handed the economic crisis to Obama who really made it the cornerstone of his presidency—not to actually solve any problems, but rather to give the appearance of doing something to keep the feelings of hope up, to keep people busy while the problem resolved itself, and then complain about it when things did eventually get better. For many Americans, Trump’s election was the end of the world. For many Americans, Biden’s election spelled the total collapse of freedom in the world. And now people seem to hate Biden plenty enough because of vaccine mandates, masking, and Afghanistan, but I’m certain Biden will get his four more years because people are either too afraid of the alternative (that it could be worse with a Republican) or they (Republicans, especially) are afraid that they might actually have to solve problems. Right now, Biden is doing more for the Republican Party than Republicans, and all we have to do is sit back, keep our mouths shut, and just enjoy the show.

But that can’t last forever. Eventually what’s going to happen is COVID-19 is going to mutate itself back into something that just gives you the sniffles for a couple or three days and is only a minor annoyance. But we will always side-eye anyone who sneezes because we’re all so scared of it. Democrats will run out of good options for candidates just like Republicans already have. 16 years from now you’ll have a charismatic, young, Republican lead the charge against Democrats and old people, and the world, once again, will end.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 10:45 am

cyberdad wrote:

You forgot October 29, 2012 Superstorm Sandy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 4:50 pm

AngelRho wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The “powers that be” worldwide depend on crises to unite the people in an easy common cause to maintain control. The pandemic is basically that…not caused by governments, just exploited by them. Plagues of various kinds have hit the earth throughout history, and this is nothing new. Wars have the same effect. When Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated, it didn’t send shockwaves through any society. Soon afterwards, armies facing each other expressed confusion as to WHY they were shooting each other. And from that point some decades later you end up with a Holocaust and then-unimaginable (in the archduke’s lifetime) death and destruction from the cumulative effects of the two world wars. America during this time was united in and by war. And then there was the worldwide economic depression in between. With Vietnam, the world was united by anti-war feeling. 9/11 became about retaliation against terrorist activities and terrorist governments giving safe haven to terrorists. The goal was to end Islamic extremism, and everyone in the world except Islamic extremists benefitted from US involvement.

At each point, the world as we knew it ended. The US after WWII benefitted from the best minds in the world working together in nuclear and rocket technology, and the result of those efforts was an explosion in things like computing, networking, and so on which leads to Wrong Planet, social media, YouTube, the ability to write and run code on mobile devices, etc. What changed in 9/11 was a trend backwards to a more restricted existence—TSA lines at airports, for example. Increased security should enhance and increase freedom, but for a time it seemed heavy handed. There was more paranoia for a while. And while I don’t subscribe to conspiracy theories myself, I can’t say it surprises me when other people do. Eventually the world of 9/11 became normal. Kids grew up in the shadow of 9/11 not knowing life could be any other way. Kids grew up thinking they had the same freedom I grew up with, but parents my age were too scared of human traffickers and creepers to let their kids explore the countryside or wander around town. I grew up with game consoles for when I couldn’t do anything else, but post 9/11 kids’ worlds revolved around them. Now we have the pandemic and loss of freedom is already normalized. Kids already are required to be vaccinated just to get into daycare, yet only now are adults screaming about how wrong it is to require anyone to be vaccinated. Obamacare has already withstood the courts on the basis that it’s never been proven that requiring people to buy healthcare is harmful to the person. So the precedent for requiring vaccinations against the pandemic has long been established. Children born now are already getting used to a world of needles, masks, and isolation. Once again, the world we knew is over.

I’m not making the point that the world is getting worse and worse. The truth is that the world is not fundamentally different than it was prior to the Great War. Wars will happen. Genocide will happen. And as long as people can move freely and populations increase, worldwide disease will happen. What’s happening now is nothing new, only new to MY generation.

Meanwhile, Americans all know what happens in 4-year intervals. Life under Dubya honestly was not all THAT BAD. The economy tanked because of mortgage securities trading. This was a long time coming, poor lending practices were not a secret, and the housing crisis had been predicted some two years in advance. Didn’t catch me by surprise at all, so when we saw that BOTH my wife and I were going to be out of a job, we put the house up for sale. For some people, that meant the end of the world. Before that was the telecomm and tech bubble, poor accounting practices that magically turned liabilities into profits. The end of the world. Dubya handed the economic crisis to Obama who really made it the cornerstone of his presidency—not to actually solve any problems, but rather to give the appearance of doing something to keep the feelings of hope up, to keep people busy while the problem resolved itself, and then complain about it when things did eventually get better. For many Americans, Trump’s election was the end of the world. For many Americans, Biden’s election spelled the total collapse of freedom in the world. And now people seem to hate Biden plenty enough because of vaccine mandates, masking, and Afghanistan, but I’m certain Biden will get his four more years because people are either too afraid of the alternative (that it could be worse with a Republican) or they (Republicans, especially) are afraid that they might actually have to solve problems. Right now, Biden is doing more for the Republican Party than Republicans, and all we have to do is sit back, keep our mouths shut, and just enjoy the show.

But that can’t last forever. Eventually what’s going to happen is COVID-19 is going to mutate itself back into something that just gives you the sniffles for a couple or three days and is only a minor annoyance. But we will always side-eye anyone who sneezes because we’re all so scared of it. Democrats will run out of good options for candidates just like Republicans already have. 16 years from now you’ll have a charismatic, young, Republican lead the charge against Democrats and old people, and the world, once again, will end.

I view US history as that of four republics. Number one was born July 4 1776 and died in 1861. Number two was born in April of 1865 and died in December of 1941. Number three was born in 1947 and died on September 11 2001. We have been living in number four since that time.

Also the Republicans are doomed. In twenty years when the Boomers are fertilizer their base will be gone making them a permanent minority unable to win the Presidency or majorities in Congress. Mexican migrants will make Texas and Arizona blue states sealing this fate.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:30 pm

MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Axeman wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The Oregon Trail computer game.

Looked it up. 1971 was it's release date.

They had 'computer games' prior to Pong (circa 1979)?

No way!

It didn't run on a video game council. It was an old program for the pcs of the time.

I don't think they had anything that could be called a PC in 1971.

Exactly. Big organizations had big main frame computers. And their employees may have private "terminals" hooked up to them. But no consumer "personal computers" existed before the Eighties AFaik.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Axeman wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The Oregon Trail computer game.

Looked it up. 1971 was it's release date.

They had 'computer games' prior to Pong (circa 1979)?

No way!

It didn't run on a video game council. It was an old program for the pcs of the time.

I don't think they had anything that could be called a PC in 1971.

Exactly. Big organizations had big main frame computers. And their employees may have private "terminals" hooked up to them. But no consumer "personal computers" existed before the Eighties AFaik.

The game did exist in 1971. I know because I looked it up. Idk what it was played on. When I played it in 1985 it was on an Apple 2E.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:35 pm

Axeman wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I view US history as that of four republics. Number one was born July 4 1776 and died in 1861. Number two was born in April of 1865 and died in December of 1941. Number three was born in 1947 and died on September 11 2001. We have been living in number four since that time.

Also the Republicans are doomed. In twenty years when the Boomers are fertilizer their base will be gone making them a permanent minority unable to win the Presidency or majorities in Congress. Mexican migrants will make Texas and Arizona blue states sealing this fate.

:lol: Yeah right, if only that were actually true!

The GOP is going to rule this country in a few years and if they ever truly have their way we're going to be living in something out of The Handmaid's Tale where women are only valued as human incubators and all the homosexuals, drug addicts, and religious minorities will be put to death.

♤ The Military

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Late 70s actually. They ran operating systems like CP/M. The first Apple computers appeared back then i.e. Apple II, a fixture in elementary schools through the 90s.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:39 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Axeman wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The GOP is going to rule this country in a few years and if they ever truly have their way we're going to be living in something out of The Handmaid's Tale where women are only valued as human incubators and all the homosexuals, drug addicts, and religious minorities will be put to death.

How do you figure? And I don't view my prediction as a good thing. I do agree with the GOP on some things and the majority aren't the fanatics you describe.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:44 pm

Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Axeman wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

How do you figure? And I don't view my prediction as a good thing. I do agree with the GOP on some things and the majority aren't the fanatics you describe.

I guess we shall see in a few years. :D

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:46 pm

Axeman wrote:
...and the majority aren't the fanatics you describe.

But they're plenty happy to enable those fanatics if it might own the libs. :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

But they're plenty happy to enable those fanatics if it might own the libs. :roll:

And they not only attacked the Capitol Building but they now deny it ever truly happened.

But who cares anymore about hearing that broken record, right? (That was Sarcasm) :roll:

♤ The Military

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:59 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

And they not only attacked the Capitol Building but they now deny it ever truly happened.

But who cares anymore about hearing that broken record, right? (That was Sarcasm) :roll:

During the election I saw Republicans for Biden campaign signs because the nation is more important than the party. There are Republicans who saw Trump for what he was.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:06 pm

Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:

During the election I saw Republicans for Biden campaign signs because the nation is more important than the party. There are Republicans who saw Trump for what he was.

This thread was supposed to be about the 1990s. Could we please get back on topic?