Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2021, 5:24 pm

Contrary to what some say, you can have both. It is not one or the other. There are churches that support evolution and scientists who believe in a creator alongside evolution.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 5:40 pm

Is this supposed to be news?

Because it is nothing new at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2021, 2:07 am

Yeah, Catholic church is among them - not incorporating evolution into their teachings (they have bad experience with incorporating science to religious teachings and they try to learn from the past) but absolutely accepting its existence - as long as, on the philosophical level, it all happened because of God's will.

Disclaimer: I'm not preaching for any religion. I know Catholic theology relatively well because I happen to have had most contact with it and I tend to nerd into topics.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:26 am

A dated a Greek girl briefly who showed me a pamphlet from the Greek Orthodox church written by an Orthodox priest who said that the Eastern churches always took a live and let live attitude with Darwin...because (as I understand what he was saying) "were about saving souls, and not about being a biology/geology text book". Which is rather smart of them IMHO.

The Catholic Church may have persecuted Galileo back in the Fifteen hundreds, but they lay a glove on Darwin, and in the Twentieth and Twenty First Centuries the popes have always said "its up to the individual Catholic to decide for themselves which they accept -evolution, or Creation".

Protestants seem to have always been in the forefront of Evolution denial rather than the two older branches (Catholic and Orthodox)of Christianity.

But even American Protestant Evangelical preachers are not always in lockstep against Darwin. I saw Pat Robertson say that "Every Texas oilman I have ever talked to tells me that the rocks in the earth are laid out in a way that shows an ancient earth".

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:50 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A dated a Greek girl briefly who showed me a pamphlet from the Greek Orthodox church written by an Orthodox priest who said that the Eastern churches always took a live and let live attitude with Darwin...because (as I understand what he was saying) "were about saving souls, and not about being a biology/geology text book". Which is rather smart of them IMHO.

The Catholic Church may have persecuted Galileo back in the Fifteen hundreds, but they lay a glove on Darwin, and in the Twentieth and Twenty First Centuries the popes have always said "its up to the individual Catholic to decide for themselves which they accept -evolution, or Creation".

Protestants seem to have always been in the forefront of Evolution denial rather than the two older branches (Catholic and Orthodox)of Christianity.

But even American Protestant Evangelical preachers are not always in lockstep against Darwin. I saw Pat Robertson say that "Every Texas oilman I have ever talked to tells me that the rocks in the earth are laid out in a way that shows an ancient earth".

Well I guess Pat Robertson never met this Lone Star fracker.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 12:17 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Thats real funny.

But which thing are you joking about?

That you're involved in oil drilling?

Or that you believe in a young earth?

Both of things cant possibly be true of the same person.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 12:20 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Because you deny geology? :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 6:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Thats real funny.

But which thing are you joking about?

That you're involved in oil drilling?

Or that you believe in a young earth?

Both of Wethings cant possibly be true of the same person.

Well actually theyare both true of me because I am a oilman and a young earther.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 6:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I believe oil and gas came from Noah's flood.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 7:20 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I believe oil and gas came from Noah's flood.

How is that possible?

And how was Noah's flood possible?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Sep 2021, 5:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
And how was Noah's flood possible?

The description of Noah's flood is made within a model of the world as a vault between "upper" and "lower" waters. This cosmological model, consistent also with the Biblical description of Creation, is today... pretty outdated.

Which, of course, says nothing about God's love, sin, salvation, etc. - that's indeed how the "older" Christian churches approach it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:35 am

The Bible (like other Holy writings) is not to be confused with a scientific textbook, as its contents predate the schism between science and superstition during the Renaissance.

Had the Ionian Awakening not died out due to an overdose of Philosophy, we might already have colonies on the Moon and Mars, gravity control, interstellar probes, and cures for cancer.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.