Response to "If you are a white person... "

Page 1 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
Location: Tarkon Galtos

12 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

Okay, so I've been seeing this list popping up from time to time, including here on WP (though I will keep the person who posted it anonymous).

I do want to be clear that this is in no way an attempt to debunk white privilege. But the point I want to make is that white privilege does not equal magical immunity from adversity, hardships, or discrimination. It intersects in complex way with many other factors that include socio-economic status, disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation; and it is a much more nuanced and complex subject than this garbage list wants to present it as. I will go through and address the issues I find with many of the assumptions made in the list. And in the process, I will also demonstrate that the woke group thinkers sharing it never bother to fact check any of it before copying and pasting it.

Quote:
If You Are a White Person...


Quote:
... You can arrange to protect your children most of the time from people who might not like them.


I do not have children. But my nieces and nephews are Middle Eastern, so I do have to worry about them a lot.

Quote:
... You can arrange your activities so that you will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to your race.

I've been experiencing rejection owing to my autism my entire life.

Quote:
... You can avoid spending time with people whom you were trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust you or your kind.

Untrue. That was a very common experience I had growing up in Libya.

Quote:
... You can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with you and advise you about your next steps, professionally.


Untrue. People on the autism spectrum face regular employment discrimination.

Quote:
Research by Roux et al. ([32]), suggests that only 58% of young adults in their early 20s with ASD are employed. Supporting data from the CDC ([10]) indicates that in 2014, only 60% of the 18,000 individuals with ASD in state-funded vocational rehabilitation programs attained employment. For those adults on the spectrum not receiving aid, employment outcomes are purported to be even poorer (Gerhardt et al. [13]). This employment rate is also far below outcomes reported for other disability groups including those with learning and intellectual disabilities (Roux et al. [32]). In fact, it is even lower than the employment rate of ex-convicts who achieve a more inspiring 75% rate of employment (National Justice Institute [30]). Research by Scott et al. ([34]) suggests employers are apprehensive and unwilling to hire adults on the spectrum, associating ASD hires with an increase in operating costs and a decrease in productivity. That perception is likely the result of limited societal knowledge about ASD and a dearth of effective transition services. Nevertheless, as it stands now, the employment potential for adults on the spectrum is considerably limited.


Source: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04537-w

Quote:
... You can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize yours.


Untrue. Because of my autism, I am often the person blamed when conflicts arise. And it is extremely difficult for me to receive any opportunities to advance at all.

Quote:
... You can be pretty sure that if you argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost you heavily within your present setting, even if your colleagues disagree with you.

Again, untrue. People with autism are often perceived unfavorably when we speak up in any situation.

Quote:
... And if you have low credibility as a leader, you can be sure that your race will not be blamed.


True. However, my neurodiversity status can still be blamed. And my gender is constantly blamed for all manners of sh*t by woke feminists.

Quote:
... And if you should need to move, you can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which you can afford and in which you would want to live.


Bullsh*t! I and many other white people do not possess the financial means to do this. This is a clear example of how the idiots who copy and paste this never bother to fact check first.

Quote:
... And if your day, week, or year is going badly, you need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.


No. But I do need to question if I was being treated with hostility because of my autism.

Quote:
... Whether you use checks, credit cards, or cash, you can count on your skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.


But my credit score is severely impacted by financial struggles I've been through, caused in a large part by my autism and the employment discrimination I've frequently experienced.

Quote:
... You can be pretty sure that your children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; your chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

Not if they are autistic or have a disability, and not if they are of a lower socio-economic status than their peers.

Quote:
... You can be sure that your children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.


But not their neurodiversity status.

Quote:
... You can expect figurative language and imagery in all the arts to testify to experiences of your race.


Yes. But my neurodiversity status is rarely represented.

Quote:
... You can go home from most meetings of organizations you belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.


Absolutely f**king not! As a person on the autism spectrum, that describes nearly every experience I've ever had.

Quote:
... You can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of your race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with your cultural traditions, or into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut your hair.


Where do I even start?! It should be absolutely clearly apparent to anyone who knows anything at all about modern Western culture why is a blatant lie. Everyone know that African American music genres like Jazz, Rock, Hip Hop, and Rap have dominated American music for generations; and Rock and Rap are currently the most popular music genres not only in America but in the entire world. Michael Jackson is undisputably the single most popular musical artist in all of recorded human history. When I say that I can tell beyond shadow of a doubt that woke morons copy and paste this sh*t without fact checking it, this particular point is how I know that with certainty.

Quote:
... You can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in your culture any penalty for such oblivion.


English is also the first language of all African Americans. And the majority of white Europeans and French Canadians do not speak English as their first language. This is another example that demonstrates that whoever posted this did not fact check it.

Quote:
... You can swear, or dress in secondhand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of your race.


True. But my neurodiversity group is commonly stereotyped as rude, arrogant, and unfeeling.

Quote:
... You can take a job with an Affirmative Action employer without having your co-workers on the job suspect that you got it because of your race.


No. They suspect it was because of my autism.

Quote:
... You can talk with your mouth full and not have people put this down to your color.

They put it down to autism instead.

Quote:
... You can think over many options, social, political, imaginative, or professional, without asking whether a person of your race would be accepted or allowed to do what you want to do.


But I have constant anxiety over the fact that I will likely not be accepted or allowed because of my autism.

Quote:
... You can travel alone or with your spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with you.


You're assuming that because I'm white, my spouse must be white as well. Also, white same-sex couples experience this all the time.

Quote:
... You can, if you wish, arrange to be in the company of people of your race most of the time.

I find this one odd. Why would anyone care about any such thing? This entry tells me more about its author than anything else.

Quote:
... You do not have to educate your children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

No. But, assuming the high likelihood that they inherent my autism, I will have to educate them about how to cope with the never-ending barrage of rejection, abuse, and bullying they will encounter.

Quote:
... You will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.


Absolutely not true! I have been othered my entire entire life because of my autism.

Quote:
... Your children are given texts and classes which implicitly support your kind of family unit and do not turn them against your choice of domestic partnership.


Is this a list of white privileges or straight privileges? Did this one get put on the wrong list somehow? Is anyone even paying attention? This one tells me that the idiot who posted it didn't even read it first.

Quote:
... Your culture gives you little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

True. But the perspectives of neurodiverse people like myself are always ignored.



ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,562
Location: New Jersey, USA

12 Sep 2021, 5:52 pm

Yes. White NTs see us as weird or jerks. Non-white NTs just see us a regular white people and assume we get all the privileges that they've been told all white people get. When I drove a cab, it was interestingly the black customers that were both shocked and dismayed that a white American would be doing such a menial job. It didn't compute with their perceptions or the "just be white" theory.



lvpin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 448

12 Sep 2021, 5:58 pm

This is why intersectionality is so important! Unfortunately not everyone takes the time to think of things critically or use their knowledge to try to rank people based on oppression. I think about this a lot as a POC autistic person .



dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
Location: Tarkon Galtos

12 Sep 2021, 6:12 pm

lvpin wrote:
This is why intersectionality is so important! Unfortunately not everyone takes the time to think of things critically or use their knowledge to try to rank people based on oppression. I think about this a lot as a POC autistic person .


In my experience, whenever Intersectionality is brought up, its just to further emphasize that straight white men have all the power and are the sole source of everything wrong in the world.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,138
Location: Queens, NYC

12 Sep 2021, 6:15 pm

Ask a white person starving in Appalachia about “white privilege.”



dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
Location: Tarkon Galtos

12 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Yes. White NTs see us as weird or jerks. Non-white NTs just see us a regular white people and assume we get all the privileges that they've been told all white people get. When I drove a cab, it was interestingly the black customers that were both shocked and dismayed that a white American would be doing such a menial job. It didn't compute with their perceptions or the "just be white" theory.


We're the one demographic that is equally hated by all of society across all races and all party lines.



dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
Location: Tarkon Galtos

12 Sep 2021, 7:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Ask a white person starving in Appalachia about “white privilege.”


I'm sure Operah Winfrey would gladly lecture him all about his privilege.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,573
Location: Stendec

12 Sep 2021, 8:18 pm

Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.

:roll:


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,562
Location: New Jersey, USA

12 Sep 2021, 8:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.

:roll:

Who's the white supremacist?



RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,048

12 Sep 2021, 8:26 pm

...you will be stared at rudely if you ride the west bound elevated train in Philadelphia.
...you will be called a "gunjadee" or a "visharum" if you are married to an Indian man.
...you will be called "white trash" if you date a person of color.
...you will be called a "gringa" or "gringo" if you make a purchase from a Latin-American grocery store.
...you will be told, "I know you don't mean that" if you say "good morning" to a non-white co-worker even if you did mean it with all your heart.
...you will be apologizing for the rest of your life for being white.
...you will never be seen as working hard for what you have even if you do work very, very hard.
...you will be blamed for every poverty.
...you will be representative of every evil done to a non-white individual even if their own people are to blame.
...you will be held directly responsible for things that have happened throughout history even if you weren't born yet.
...you will be labeled "racist" when most people of every color are just as racist.
...you had better not complain.
...you better not defend yourself lest you be called a "racist" for doing so.
...you are not granted the freedom to be uncomfortable around things you are not used to. Don't you dare or ...
...you will be called a "racist" at the drop of a hat.
P.S. I'm biracial and that is what I have seen and heard. Sorry if I have offended. I'm just being honest.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,573
Location: Stendec

12 Sep 2021, 8:27 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.
Who's the white supremacist?
Any white person who believes that their whiteness gives them the privilege of never being picked on.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,562
Location: New Jersey, USA

12 Sep 2021, 8:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.
Who's the white supremacist?
Any white person who believes that their whiteness gives them the privilege of never being picked on.

The topic of this thread is something I can relate to. The problem is NOT a sense of entitlement of not being picked on, and that's not what the OP ever said. Rather, it's an assumption made by some non-whites that "all whites are the same." They assume the stereotypical white privileges apply to all of us equally; they assume that all whites are socially connected because of their default whiteness. If you're a white Aspie, you're not likely to have those privileges. In fact, I think white Aspies are more likely to be targeted by white NT bullies, who'd be too afraid of being called racist for venting their frustrations on a non-white.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,573
Location: Stendec

12 Sep 2021, 8:41 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.
Who's the white supremacist?
Any white person who believes that their whiteness gives them the privilege of never being picked on.
The topic of this thread is something I can relate to. The problem is NOT a sense of entitlement of not being picked on, and that's not what the OP ever said. Rather, it's an assumption made by some non-whites that "all whites are the same." They assume the stereotypical white privileges apply to all of us equally; they assume that all whites are socially connected because of their default whiteness. If you're a white Aspie, you're not likely to have those privileges. In fact, I think white Aspies are more likely to be targeted by white NT bullies, who'd be too afraid of being called racist for venting their frustrations on a non-white.
So?  White people are finally starting to learn that being pre-judged for the color of their skin is as painful as a slap in the face.  This was one of the many bones of contention between myself and the people of my parents' generation -- they had enjoyed their "White Privileges" for so long that the merest hint of equality with non-whites felt like a threat to them.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,562
Location: New Jersey, USA

12 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
So?  White people are finally starting to learn that being pre-judged for the color of their skin is as painful as a slap in the face.  This was one of the many bones of contention between myself and the people of my parents' generation -- they had enjoyed their "White Privileges" for so long that the merest hint of equality with non-whites felt like a threat to them.[/color]

Not white people. Rather, a specific group of white people. A group of people that get neither the privileges non-whites assume they get or the equality from their fellow whites.



RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,048

12 Sep 2021, 8:47 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.
Who's the white supremacist?
Any white person who believes that their whiteness gives them the privilege of never being picked on.

The topic of this thread is something I can relate to. The problem is NOT a sense of entitlement of not being picked on, and that's not what the OP ever said. Rather, it's an assumption made by some non-whites that "all whites are the same." They assume the stereotypical white privileges apply to all of us equally; they assume that all whites are socially connected because of their default whiteness. If you're a white Aspie, you're not likely to have those privileges. In fact, I think white Aspies are more likely to be targeted by white NT bullies, who'd be too afraid of being called racist for venting their frustrations on a non-white.


so very,very true!! Being bi-racial, I am on both sides of the fence. White privilege for me is to walk in a store in a white neighborhood and not get stared at rudely or followed around by store security. Once store security was so busy hawking at me that a white guy made it out of the store with a stolen steak. People in general are bad. Think about it: If you are good on Earth, you go to Heaven when you die. Why should you have to be rewarded for being good? Isn't that human responsibility? Why should you be rewarded for being good?? People need a "stimulus" to do the right thing. Humankind is wrong.



RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,048

12 Sep 2021, 8:49 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... the white supremacists are getting picked on ... they can go cry me a river.
Who's the white supremacist?
Any white person who believes that their whiteness gives them the privilege of never being picked on.

The topic of this thread is something I can relate to. The problem is NOT a sense of entitlement of not being picked on, and that's not what the OP ever said. Rather, it's an assumption made by some non-whites that "all whites are the same." They assume the stereotypical white privileges apply to all of us equally; they assume that all whites are socially connected because of their default whiteness. If you're a white Aspie, you're not likely to have those privileges. In fact, I think white Aspies are more likely to be targeted by white NT bullies, who'd be too afraid of being called racist for venting their frustrations on a non-white.

AMEN!! ! Many times I heard black people say to white people,"Yaw don't stick together".