Page 10 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:34 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I think you can effectively decry the shut downs and social distancing measures without using a term like scamdemic and trying to deny the reality of the virus. It doesn't have to be one or the other, that it's either your reality or ours. The legitimacy of social shut down measures as a response to the pandemic is a fair debate topic, I am not going to claim otherwise. But it can be done without denying the reality of other's people's experiences. Do you see my point?
No, I do not! But I refuse to debate a liberal from California! Because (1) you presented just enough allegedly valid viewpoints to make people hate me, (2) WP is based in California, so I know where its loyalty resides, and (3) Cornflake will take your side, I just know it.

Given all the history you and I have, going back to when I was more active here, I think you do and you don't mean all this. But I also see that you are responding in kind to a tone I started, and I apologize for that. You were half tongue in check about scamdemic being the right term (your real hostility, I believe, is with how it's been handled, not with the reality of it) and I responded strongly with the hope I could get you to stop using the word. I find the word upsetting, but I also should know you well enough to know that coming out swinging isn't going to change your mind on anything, ever, so why did I forget that in the moment? I don't know, the word triggers me, just like the way I wrote triggers you.

So, peace?

Let's all try not to trigger each other.

I respect your right to live your life as you need to, and I hope I've made that clear at other times in other posts. You and I are just very, very different people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:41 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I think you can effectively decry the shut downs and social distancing measures without using a term like scamdemic and trying to deny the reality of the virus. It doesn't have to be one or the other, that it's either your reality or ours. The legitimacy of social shut down measures as a response to the pandemic is a fair debate topic, I am not going to claim otherwise. But it can be done without denying the reality of other's people's experiences. Do you see my point?
No, I do not! But I refuse to debate a liberal from California! Because (1) you presented just enough allegedly valid viewpoints to make people hate me, (2) WP is based in California, so I know where its loyalty resides, and (3) Cornflake will take your side, I just know it.

I thought that Alex Planck lived in Charlottesville Virginia!

He is from there, anyway. Maybe he moved.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:44 pm

Does anyone besides me think that this post was, just maybe, intended to be inflammatory?

I think we are all well aware of the ongoing virulence of this debate. Has anything here not been said a million times in all forms of media. I don't believe there has been any change in anyone's attitudes even with all the discussions and information available to anyone. In the USA, with our pummeled democratic process, we will all have to rely on the majority of us making laws that best serve the common good. We will have to depend on the constitution that created this country to carry us through. Not that I think we should just sit quietly and let anything come to pass. Certainly speak up when you have the opportunity or need, but it does no good to beat this particular dead horse. What will make a difference is making sure your opinion is heard by those making your laws. So send them your opinion and Keep voting.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 11:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I thought that Alex Planck lived in Charlottesville Virginia!

He is from there, anyway. Maybe he moved.

I am pretty sure he's been living in Southern California for a while now, pursuing a film and media career. I honestly have no idea what his politics are. His days of posting here regularly were long over by the time I joined, and his level of influence over, or interest in, moderation decisions was pretty non-existent when I was a moderator (somewhere around a decade ago). But, based on polls done a bunch of years ago, it is accurate to say that most members skew liberal.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 1:57 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Since they're making a lifestyle choice that raises their risk of dying or facing significant medical bills it would seem fair that insurance companies can raise their rates

I'm sure similar sentiments were present in the 1980's as well, with the AIDS epidemic.

No doubt you'd have agreed with these sentiments back then as well...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 2:06 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Since they're making a lifestyle choice that raises their risk of dying or facing significant medical bills it would seem fair that insurance companies can raise their rates

I'm sure similar sentiments were present in the 1980's as well, with the AIDS epidemic.

Since when was contracting HIV a lifestyle choice? :chin:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:

You're not really going to step on that rake, are you?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:49 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That was the prevailing understanding\belief about those most likely to contract it at the time: That it was a risk associated with certain "lifestyle choices"...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:50 am

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:10 am

^^^
Ok, that's good. Or I'm easily amused. But I'm genuinely laughing.

Mrs. Doubt pfizer.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:12 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That was the prevailing understanding\belief about those most likely to contract it at the time: That it was a risk associated with certain "lifestyle choices"...

It was, sadly.

No comment beyond acknowledging the accuracy of the history. I don't to risk a rake handle hitting me in the face.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:43 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
^^^
Ok, that's good. Or I'm easily amused. But I'm genuinely laughing.

Mrs. Doubt pfizer.

I thought it was somewhat amusing, too...

I've always thought that creativity like that deserves to be shared (whether the sentiment is agreed with or not).

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:03 am

Brictoria wrote:

Good one! I have a custom-made shirt similar to that one. It trashes the CDC, rather than the vaccines. (I'm pro-vax, remember?) I usually wear it in conservative areas, or at conservative-type events in liberal areas, like a car show (as opposed to, say, an SJW rally).

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 8:22 am

On the whole COVID issue, I've been stuck RIGHT here since January 2020:

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:36 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Consider it a luxury that social isolation didn't cause you the emotional pain it caused me.
I'm sorry to hear that, but as you don't want my pity, I'll simply say that it has been hard on all of us. None of us like the current state of things, none of us like wearing masks, and having one more thing to get vaccinated for isn't ideal. I very much welcome the end of all of this. We just have different ideas on how to do our part to bring about that end.

For what it's worth, my friends and I had to spend a great deal more time apart than we would have liked, having our weekly board game night over video chat just plain sucked, and in the last couple years cracks have formed in my friend group with two people now no longer being friends with the vast majority of us. I'm still friends with one, but had to part with the other, and the one I had to part ways with had a horrible mental breakdown. My work has been affected. Things I normally like doing have been restricted, and I certainly can't travel (not that I do very often, but still). Even now that things are starting to ease up, it's not all back to normal and I don't like that.

Again, I'll reiterate that you have the right to deal with the pandemic however you see fit, so long as you're not a problem for other people. If you don't agree with certain political viewpoints, that's fine and I respect that, but please refrain from attacking others who don't share the same sentiments. If you're not out there causing problems for hospitals, schools and underpaid service workers then great. As I've said from the beginning, my beef isn't with people I disagree with, it's with people who are actually being a menace.

As for the BLM movement, I support peaceful protests of any kind, but I'm against looting, vandalism, etc., and have my doubts that the people who engaged in such acts were really assembled for the cause of fighting racism. Don't just assume that everyone who holds a political view is in support of the worst acts committed by those who allegedly share similar beliefs, or it's open season to declare all Republican and Trump supporters anti-democratic anarchists. :wink: The thing about an open season though is, it rarely ends well for anyone, so how about we have peace instead?
Brictoria wrote:
Even I have to admit that's pretty clever. Credit where it is due. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:09 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

You're not really going to step on that rake, are you?

That's Bric rake to step on if he wants to suggest that sexual orientation is a lifestyle choice. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う