Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2007, 11:29 pm

I'd heard of this word, Aspergers, in a book I'd read a few months back. I could relate to the character it described, but have never put much faith in words as convenient labels. Still, for some reason, I was reminded of it again last night, when a colleague made a dead-pan joke, just a tad too subtle for me to recognize. There followed that inevitable, though somehow familiar, pause, wherein I recognized that my literal response somehow came off as odd, even a bit funny. I found this site in the morning, though didn't think much of it once I moved on and became absorbed in my work.

I pondered this evening as to whether the label fit enough for me to try to make contact. In pondering, I noticed how my feet, in their measured pacing around the room, seemed to know what to say better than I could. They traced out a rough circle, though constrained by the furniture, if not quite as precise as I would have liked. This rug has no easily discernible repeating pattern, you see, so my feet were forced to improvise.

In crafting this greeting, I feel as if I might be treading dangerously close to the perimeter of my defenses, inviting one of those upside down and inside out moments that life seems so fond of throwing my way. Perhaps I could have just said hello, but I hope that, in this circuitous way, I might find someone who can relate to these words that I wound up weaving.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

25 Jul 2007, 11:31 pm

I hope you can derive some comfort from exploring the idea of "aspieness" while here at WP, and I hope also that you feel very welcome, because you are! :)

Do you journal? It seems like you'd be ever so good at it.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 12:05 am

Welcome to WP.And if you are fond of words and fond of weaving oerhaos you would enjoy one of my favorite books...

"Weave World"...highly recommended.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:36 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:55 am

When I saw the thread 'testing the waters,' I thought you meant perhaps the pH, analyte recovery, phase change (sublimation?), etc. Sigh......

Anyway, this probably means you're in the right place.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 3:47 am

I think you will find our secret world inviting.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 8:11 am

Explore all you want. I don't mind. I'm glad you're here.

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2007, 9:51 pm

I've made some tentative explorations and I must admit, this is an interesting place. The name of this site is surprisingly ... apt, though it's interesting how, in the right surroundings, how right it can feel to be in the wrong. I have a history of armoring myself behind careful barricades of words, though I'd never previously suspected that there might be others sharing the same hide-away. And here I thought I was being so clever. Hello everybody.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:42 pm

Nice to meet you, delphizealot. :)

I explored this site after I decide to fully benefit from the help from fellow aspies.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jul 2007, 5:06 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet Image

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2007, 12:08 am

Your circuitous route led you in the right upside down inside out direction to "this here" planet.
Reminds me of Bob Dylan's "No talkin', just walkin'". Feet are good.