The UK feels like it's becoming a third world country

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 2:23 pm

The UK is a country with many advantages which the people and the Government are bloody-mindedly determined to throw away. I swear, in my entire life to date, every major decision the Government has ever made has been driven by propaganda and manipulation, not a desire to actually run the country well.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 11:50 pm

Every first world country feels like it's becoming a third world country. :(

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 8:05 am

I think we're a long way from becoming a third world country.

That said, something is happening and it doesn't appear to be good.

I think there's a general sense now that things (in general) are getting worse. We've been bombarded with bad news about the economy, the environment, health, technology etc. for so long now that I think people generally accept that the future is going to be worse than the past. It may even be hellish.

And I think when people have that sense then a kind of seige mentality takes over and we take measures that we think are going to protect us. I think that's what Brexit was about - pulling up the drawbridge. I think that's why so many people voted for Boris Johnson - even though they know what he is. He's a selfish, untrustworthy, amoral, SoS but he's our selfish, untrustworthy, amoral, SoS and we can trust him to screw everyone else over when it comes to protecting Britain's interests. He's a cockroach and he'll make sure he survives and maybe he'll take us with him.

This mentality plays out in a smaller scale with the panic buying of fuel and anything else that there's even the slightest danger of shortages. Everyone's just trying to protect what they have before it gets taken away from them. And the messaging we're getting from our current leadership is that it's okay to be selfish - we can't afford to help each other, we've got to look out for ourselves first.

It is wholly depressing. I do believe we're missing a massive opportunity to be world leaders in a very real sense - when the world really needs inspiring leadership - by embracing the challenges of environmental collapse and racing to be first to make the necessary changes. It's not going to happen though, with a government that is fundamentally backward-looking and a leader who is not really interested in stepping up. Oh, and a media and population that's broadly supportive of all of it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 3:12 pm

We're having the same problem here too. Supply shortage and worker shortage and Fed Ex ground sucks, it's taking longer for our trash and recycling to be picked up. Evictions are happening here too. More homeless people. I had to order shampoo online. I may have to start ordering supplements online as well.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 5:59 pm

It amazes me that other countries such as the US are suffering the same truck-driver shortage problem. I thought it was to do with Brexit but it can't be if the US is having the same problem? And if it's to do with the pandemic then that is why I am totally against lockdowns and phone pinging. Society ain't going to run properly carrying on like that. Now that we have vaccines, we shouldn't need lockdowns or isolation unless you are tested positive.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 7:14 am

Grow your own food? As long as you can work you should be fine. Save up and get out of the country? People come to Australia in boats. People smuggle under cars. I once chilled in a boot. But I was drunk so do it all drunk.

Why don’t you help out the people in supermarkets with helping to put things on the shelves? A lot of them are just standing around on their phones anyways. Not really labouring not like your cleaning jobs! And they get probably paid more for doing less labour.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 7:18 am

As long as you have access to antibiotics it’s not a third world country. People in third world counties, have famine,constant rape, no hiv pills, no birth control, feral men on the loose, no clean water, no clean food. They need to be castrated and there needs to be someone enforcing one child policy till they get on their feet. Put more factories over in Africa and pay them minimum wage.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 7:20 am

No one will give anyone a job? Are you serious? Some people don’t need to have someone else get them a job? I’ve always gotten my own jobs. When you’re a nurse you aren’t going around looking for jobs they give it to you. Plus job tenure and job security. Other jobs like small business now that’s stressful.

If you’re smart, got a licence, basic high school -education then you’ll never be out of a job.

Honestly why would anyone need someone else to get them a job? The whole country disabled?
Maybe if they would stop having sex, get castrated,and stop drinking,smoking and gambling maybe they wouldn’t need full time work.

Example- taxi, Uber,delivery, police,nurse,orderly, post man,cleaner,hospitality.

I’ve been to job agencies and they don’t even get people jobs. It’s not a third world country.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 7:41 am

We rely on the NHS over here, and if the government let that go down the toilet then the working class are in s**t street. The NHS is already letting people down. And it's not that easy to just start taking out health insurance and things like that over here, because we've all relied on the NHS all our lives.

Also over here jobs and careers mostly base employees on subtle social skills and who you know, not grades. I know people who were high school drop-outs with no qualifications or grades at all yet they all walked into jobs as soon as they were 16. Now they've worked their way up the career ladder and are in very high-paid jobs. I took my exams, got grades (not very good grades but still better than nothing) then when I left school I went to college and did voluntary work too, to gain experience. But it still took me 5 years to actually be hired for a job, which was just a basic cleaning job.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:20 am

I honestly feel that the reason for worker shortage is part of the protest for higher wages. People want to be paid more. Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation so basically uneducated workers made more back then. Now there are graduate jobs that have salaries that are a joke because they are paying them just as much as I make as a Janitor. What a joke.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:37 am

Not that it helps any, but I am starting to feel similarly about the U.S.A...food prices going up, pay not going up no clear answer of if the government will help the people...Not many countries probably looking to accept wayward Americans.

As for the cold, well I can get clothes for the cold stock up on thermal type clothing. I grew up for a lot of my childhood in rural areas and the mountains in colorado,(a state known for its mountains) so I know about warm clothes a bit and how to layer up to stay warm enough but yeah idk things look kinda grim...but what can you do aside from keep living and trying to make the best of it?

I mean idk it feels like the whole world is a little on edge and a bit crazy right now, and idk makes me anxious if I dwell on it too much...like idk a lot of times I feel the ship(representing earth in this anology) is having problems and the captain(people on planet earth over-all) is too drunk to do much about it is how being on earth feels to me lately. Like we need to find a way to stop the planet becoming uninhabitable, but not enough of the people who could fund or make a difference in that area care about it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
I honestly feel that the reason for worker shortage is part of the protest for higher wages. People want to be paid more. Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation so basically uneducated workers made more back then. Now there are graduate jobs that have salaries that are a joke because they are paying them just as much as I make as a Janitor. What a joke.

It turns out some of us millennials would also like a slice of the pie...but the boomers got greedy with their slices of the pie and took more than their share leaving us with like 1/4 of the pie to split among ourselves.