Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 11:51 am

Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
You will likely hate my reply, but it is from my point of view on the topic at hand.

The answer is because it damages your body in some manner over time. I know the effects of drug molecules upon the human body. People can become addicted to certain drugs (yes, including alcohol and nicotine) to the point that they have to have them to be able to function. It becomes a problem, like it or not.

For example, let us look at marijuana. People say it cannot be bad because it is natural. Well, the forms being sold today are heavily modified strains that contain much more THC than the original plant ever had naturally. Consumption of high levels of THC over time modifies the human brain in scientific studies. It has been long suspected of causing cognitive damage long term upon chronic usage. These type of medical studies prove that by comparing brain scans of the same people over years of usage compared to those who do not use the drug (the control group). In the right concentration, it can be medically useful for certain conditions. I am not talking about those amounts in the above statement.

Look, I have no problem if someone wants to legally consume said drugs in their own dwelling away from me. However I become very displeased when others either try to force me to consume it with them (a hard NO!) or choose to smoke it around my living space. My father died of COPD from smoking cigarettes, along with most of his brothers. The predisposition for developing that condition occurs in my family, so I try to avoid smoke and smoking at all costs. Besides it really reeks to me personally (and I am a chemist that is used to very stinking substances).

Tobacco and marijuana both have toxic components in their smoke. It is not a contest to see which one is better, they are both bad to breathe into your lungs. For the record, I get just as displeased of tobacco smoke as marijuana smoke. My apartment has an area for smokers to use outside of the building. I turn in violators that smoke inside of the building, as it is against their lease agreements to be doing so. I have no problem with those that follow the rules.

Misusing even “harmless” drugs like aspirin can cause health damage. It is possible to overdose on almost any chemical substance and cause issues. Why would you openly chose to do so is beyond my comprehension.

What about caffeine? I'd go nuts without three or four cups of coffee a day.

LOL

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

Axeman wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
You will likely hate my reply, but it is from my point of view on the topic at hand.

The answer is because it damages your body in some manner over time. I know the effects of drug molecules upon the human body. People can become addicted to certain drugs (yes, including alcohol and nicotine) to the point that they have to have them to be able to function. It becomes a problem, like it or not.

For example, let us look at marijuana. People say it cannot be bad because it is natural. Well, the forms being sold today are heavily modified strains that contain much more THC than the original plant ever had naturally. Consumption of high levels of THC over time modifies the human brain in scientific studies. It has been long suspected of causing cognitive damage long term upon chronic usage. These type of medical studies prove that by comparing brain scans of the same people over years of usage compared to those who do not use the drug (the control group). In the right concentration, it can be medically useful for certain conditions. I am not talking about those amounts in the above statement.

Look, I have no problem if someone wants to legally consume said drugs in their own dwelling away from me. However I become very displeased when others either try to force me to consume it with them (a hard NO!) or choose to smoke it around my living space. My father died of COPD from smoking cigarettes, along with most of his brothers. The predisposition for developing that condition occurs in my family, so I try to avoid smoke and smoking at all costs. Besides it really reeks to me personally (and I am a chemist that is used to very stinking substances).

Tobacco and marijuana both have toxic components in their smoke. It is not a contest to see which one is better, they are both bad to breathe into your lungs. For the record, I get just as displeased of tobacco smoke as marijuana smoke. My apartment has an area for smokers to use outside of the building. I turn in violators that smoke inside of the building, as it is against their lease agreements to be doing so. I have no problem with those that follow the rules.

Misusing even “harmless” drugs like aspirin can cause health damage. It is possible to overdose on almost any chemical substance and cause issues. Why would you openly chose to do so is beyond my comprehension.

LOL

I knew I'd find a use for this picture at some point :)

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Axeman wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

LOL

I knew I'd find a use for this picture at some point :)

Reminds me of an old B horror movie called The Stuff... :skull:

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:17 pm

Because they're expensive and not very environmentally friendly to produce. People should think of the environmental and social impact of smoking one or several cracks or heroins before lighting up.

Also there is the issue of fatal overdoses. While the short term effects of fatal overdoses are obvious, no research has been done into the long term effects.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 1:13 pm

What gets me is people who smoke weed who expect that I have to put up with the smell of it.

I don't mean on the street, I mean in the communal areas within my building. And you can tell its low grade stuff as well because it actually smells like mold coming up the stairs.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 9:21 am

babybird wrote:
What gets me is people who smoke weed who expect that I have to put up with the smell of it.

I don't mean on the street, I mean in the communal areas within my building. And you can tell its low grade stuff as well because it actually smells like mold coming up the stairs.

Sometimes they only have to be carrying it around to make that stink. I can easily detect it on students just from them entering the lab room (after being in a lecture class for an hour directly before, so they did not just smoke one). To me, it smells like a skunk fart at best. I really hate it when I try to use the elevator at work and I am forced to hold my breath by the smell. There is no smoking of any type allowed in the building nor within a distance of the main doors due to safety reasons. I seriously think that users become so accustomed to the smell that they no longer even notice it at all.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 9:40 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
babybird wrote:

Sometimes they only have to be carrying it around to make that stink. I can easily detect it on students just from them entering the lab room (after being in a lecture class for an hour directly before, so they did not just smoke one). To me, it smells like a skunk fart at best. I really hate it when I try to use the elevator at work and I am forced to hold my breath by the smell. There is no smoking of any type allowed in the building nor within a distance of the main doors due to safety reasons. I seriously think that users become so accustomed to the smell that they no longer even notice it at all.

You are correct. That is how the biochemistry of smell works

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:57 pm

It's all arbitrary, and social class has a lot to do with it. That being said, I think a lot of people just have no idea what actual drug use looks like, I had a coke dealing room mate years ago, and I was quite surprised at who his clientele was, quite a bit older and more professional class than I would have guessed, and overwhelmingly casual users. I've actually met a lot of casual users of nominally "hard" drugs over the years, I think people who aren't exposed think it's all junkies ruining their lives, but the vast majority of people seem perfectly able to do a little cocaine at a party, or occasionally take an acid trip, without crippling their lives, just as most people can have a few beers without turning into alcoholics.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 1:09 pm

Alcohol and marijuana is seen as ok because it is now mostly legal everywhere and it allows the government to fund their expenses. There was a record sales on Alcohol and marijuana, in Canada, during the lockdowns. Illegal drugs are controlled by gangsters etc, who in fact, act in the same way as the government, except that they hit hard, instead of killing you slowly like the "leaders" are doing to their citizens. It's about $$$$$$$, like most things sadly, EGO driven society!