Is it normal for some aspies to have no confidence?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 2:27 am

I think it's what is mostly causing my social isolation - having very little confidence. I have more confidence than I used to have, but I still lack confidence in myself because I believe that some people don't like me for who I am and treat me differently.

Being on the sh***y autism spectrum can wreck your confidence because of the double standards. You could behave exactly like your NT peers; using the right social graces at the right times and all of that, but yet they can still belittle you for it because they see you as "not as good as them".

It's like people like us are put on this earth to be punch bags for people to mistreat and take their insecurities out on, but no matter how insecure we may feel we still can't take our insecurities out on anybody otherwise we'll be "lacking empathy". So yep, our confidence can hit rock bottom and there's nothing we can do about it. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 2:32 am

i wonder what % of hermits like me lack confidence?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i wonder what % of hermits like me lack confidence?

I am a "suburban hermit" and don't lack self-esteem or self-confidence, despite the electronic harassment I have to endure. 8)

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2021, 12:20 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:

I would say that aspies/autists have a tendency towards low confidence/self-esteem, but it's not golden rule.

We tend to face unique and sometimes debilitating challenges, including an above-average sense of integrity that can make it harder to maintain high confidence and self-esteem, but that doesn't mean we're destined for despair.

There are many ways around our particular difficulties. I ended up writing a lot, so spoiler tag to hide the big wall-of-text.
One that I'm particularly a fan of is what I call 'Confidence Through Understanding'. The more certain you are of something, the more confidently you can state it. Calling a red apple red is something few people would have trouble with. So, by learning a lot about something, the more certain you are of what you know, and the easier and more confidently you can talk about it. It can be anything from academic subjects to historical events to modern day issues, events and people. And if it's something that other people often like discussing, might find helpful, interesting or impressive, then even better.

This can also be applied more indirectly, by developing your skills and contrasting them against other peoples'. Like if you practiced throwing things into a bin from a distance, you'd be a lot less apprehensive of tossing garbage into a garbage bin from a distance, in public, and potentially missing and embarrassing yourself if you knew you could do it 9 times out of 10.

In the past, I worked on this by learning more about the type of social interactions that people enjoy, like various ways of being entertaining, and improving my skills or establishing new habits.

Another is 'Secure In Familiarity'. No one is more confident than when they're around people they know well and have been around for years and years, and you can't get that way without spending time around and interacting with someone. This works for more than just people, too. Places, and even social dynamics are subject to this as well. 'Exposure Therapy' is another name for it. I just don't like that name. Anyway, there's a lot of tricks to build up your sense of familiarity with things without having to take the full dive.

I have a lot of social anxiety as well as an active case of selective mutism, and I've been pretty socially isolated for years to boot, so to work back the mutism and get myself used to social interactions again I'll watch videos or live-streams of people interacting with other, then try my hand at little innocuous comments or emotes in live-stream chats, youtube comments, then start talking on forums or big discord servers where I can hide behind the anonymity of the masses, and yadda yadda till I'm having short casual conversations with neighbours when I walk my dog or get groceries.

Another good one is "Confidence Through Success". Repeatedly succeeding at something will obviously give you the confidence to succeed at it again. This can be taken advantage of in many ways. You can break up big and difficult goals into many, more accomplishable smaller goals you know you can handle, and ride the wave of small successes till you reach the end. You can also acknowledge part or even pseudo-successes. My approach to tackling my social anxiety and mutism is by way of both pseudo-success and breaking big goals into small parts in addition the building up of familiarity. Watching a video of people talking obviously isn't directly part of the act of meeting and befriending new people, but it's something that I might not ordinarily do, so I consider the act of going out of my way to do so a nice little pseudo-success.

A necessary 'trick' for just about everybody is 'Nobody Is Perfect'. Everyone has flaws, and most people hide theirs as much as they can. The vast majority of people try to present the best possible image of themselves to others. And then there's the predominant method of "Fake It Till You Make It" present within most businesses all over the world. Everyone is flawed, and that's okay.

Another one along the same lines is "Don't compete with others. Compete with yourself". Comparing yourself to others is a recipe for disaster. Remember the saying that "There's always a bigger mountain". Of the billions of people in the world, how many can unarguably be considered the best at something? There will always be someone better than you, nevermind all the natural bias that just make our perceptions even worse. So rather establishing your self worth in a system stacked against you, work with something that you can actually work with. Namely, yourself. You know how you are, you know who you were yesterday, and you'll know how you'll be tomorrow. Unless you're working with some kind of degenerative illness, you know that you can surpass who you were yesterday. It's accomplishable, and the accomplishment is a valid source of pride and confidence. It's also a great source of mental wellbeing, and you can power it with even small, and what might seem like insignificant accomplishments to others. So long as it's meaningful to you it's all good. That kind of stuff pulled me through an eating disorder that had me looking like a skeletal ghoul and now that I've gotten to the point where I even have a bit of a fat belly, not only does it make me feel happy, I'm even proud to show it off.

There are a lot of ways to build up confidence and self-esteem. There's no possible way for me to talk about every mean I know of. Sadly, this stuff is rarely compiled and presented for consumption by others. I learned by way of trial and error, and by stumbling into pick-up artist communities in my 20's. There's obviously a lot of bad stuff and people there, but neither are the people or the info all bad. A lot of people who are a part of it are just lost boys with no guidance or nature 'gifts' in favor, trying to find their way into adulthood. Sometimes girls even pop in, and not just as tourists.

I also drew a lot of inspiration from acting, comedy and improv, after all, people in those fields are ostensibly among the best of entertainers around.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 5:47 am

In response to genuine compliments, I have found a simple “Thank you.” will do. After a time, this starts feeling more natural and the whole experience is more comfortable.

I used to find compliments exceedingly uncomfortable.

I also used to have low self-esteem and low confidence. Not so much these days. As I got older some of these things just faded away. Not to say these don’t raise their ugly heads from time to time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 5:51 am

when i learned to love the reflection in the mirror, those other things faded away.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:39 am

For most precious lil "people", confidence not proportional to competence

You can't measure confidence

Compliments are just as judgmental as criticism

Appearances superficial

Anyone can say anything

"Actions speak louder than words"

But I find it annoying hearing precious lil "people's" compliments. Sounds like "grooming the victim". Manipulative. Then they make you dependent on their opinions.

But maybe I am overreacting

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 1:45 pm

For me feeling useless & worthless is interspersed with brief spells of false bravado. I still have the memory of a classroom of boys directing monkey chants at me. Foolishly joining a 'rate my looks' group that other people from a depression ng I used to post on were on. They were scoring 7-8+-me 4. 3 or so.

Imposter syndrome raises its head again and again. After a very brief period of boasting/showing off,call it what you will,it becomes something that most people could do well at.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 1:50 pm

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I have no confidence, I lack self esteem and respect. I don't want to change the way I am and I don't like it when people have giving me a compliment before. For example before covid people say I do a sport well in Special Olympics I would rather if the coaches and athletes would cheer everyone else in the sport but me. I feel I don't deserve it. Also I don't like it when other people compliment my tattoos, nails, hair, glasses, clothing, ect. I know I hate myself.

I cannot speak for others, but I have very low confidence/self-esteem. My small group of autistic friends seems to have low confidence as well.

Compliments and focus on ME make me extremely uncomfortable. I just want to crawl out of my skin when someone says something nice about me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 8:31 pm

Flown wrote:
catpiecakebutter wrote:
I have no confidence, I lack self esteem and respect. I don't want to change the way I am and I don't like it when people have giving me a compliment before. For example before covid people say I do a sport well in Special Olympics I would rather if the coaches and athletes would cheer everyone else in the sport but me. I feel I don't deserve it. Also I don't like it when other people compliment my tattoos, nails, hair, glasses, clothing, ect. I know I hate myself.

I cannot speak for others, but I have very low confidence/self-esteem. My small group of autistic friends seems to have low confidence as well.

Compliments and focus on ME make me extremely uncomfortable. I just want to crawl out of my skin when someone says something nice about me.

I don't have that problem. :mrgreen:
It has made me very independent. 8)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:58 am

I think in general most people just lack confidence, NT or not. I've known some attractive, popular and very successful people who have low confidence. There are ways to boost confidence, but they don't always work. It's not as simple as if I managed to do this and that I'll feel good about myself. It's more like finding inner peace and accepting yourself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:26 pm

confidence takes a longer time to develop [in most non-alphas] than many people realize, it is a long and steady chain of build-up and successful restorations from fall-downs, that establishes it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 3:38 am

y-pod wrote:
I think in general most people just lack confidence, NT or not. I've known some attractive, popular and very successful people who have low confidence. There are ways to boost confidence, but they don't always work. It's not as simple as if I managed to do this and that I'll feel good about myself. It's more like finding inner peace and accepting yourself.

Not caring what unenlightened people think of me helps with self-confidence.
Also, realising that not all social values are worth embracing provides inner peace.
I don't measure my worth against the aspirations of the rat race. 8)