Texas GOP wants the Bible for official "State Book".

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:42 am

In a move that completely disregards the U.S. Constitutional amendment separating Church and State, a Republican lawmaker -- Rep. Glenn Rogers (an ally of Gov. Greg Abbott) -- is pushing a resolution to make the Bible the official state book of Texas.

The resolution reads, "As a prominent element in the rich fabric of our Texas heritage, the Bible is truly deserving of such acknowledgment."  The short resolution doesn't outline which Bible would become the state's official book, however -- 11 of the most popular versions in English include the English Standard Version, The New American Standard Bible, the New International Version (NIV), and the King James version.

Source:
 This Texas News Today Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

Great. More inspiration for people to preach not the love and compassion Jesus gave to the poor, sick, elderly, and outcasts, but rather the hate of God against abortion and LGBTQ communities.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 11:37 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Great. More inspiration for people to preach not the love and compassion Jesus gave to the poor, sick, elderly, and outcasts, but rather the hate of God against abortion and LGBTQ communities.

Don't forget, they prefer Supply Side Jesus over Jesus of Nazareth.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 11:52 am

Seems to be a trend:

https://amp-tennessean-com.cdn.ampproje ... 3763002%2F

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 10:45 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Indeed. I highly doubt the Texas GOP actually intends to read the book they are so passionate about.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 4:07 am

Unconstitutional.

Period.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 4:14 am

The Texas GOP should f**k off and get out of the way of women's rights, is what they should do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:35 am

The Texas GOP should go collect water out of the wendy's used grease tank and try to pass it off as drinkable. Or should I say the Chick Fil A grease tank...?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:42 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Unconstitutional.

Period.

This is actually debatable.

Before people get presumptuous, as they often do, let me clarify and spell out that I'm not in favor of this by any means. Also, I'm from the secular Northeast, so this all seems strange to me. So, again, just because I don't come out and say "This is wrong!" doesn't mean that I agree with it personally (people get dense).

But to play devil's advocate, it's not as cut-and-dry as we'd like to think. To this day, there is the general question of whether Constitutional restrictions of government (restrictions of Federal power) apply at the state level. It's interesting to note that some of the states did have official state-sponsored churches or church tithing taxes in the early republic (late 1700s/early 1800s).

It wasn't until 1947 that a Supreme Court ruling declared an establishment clause (a clause establishing that a Federal govt. limitation also applied to state government) regarding religion was decided, officially leading to the incorporation of the Bill of Rights at the state level in regards to religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everson_v ... _Education

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorpora ... _of_Rights

The state of Texas, like any other state, is bound by the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Texas cannot establish a state religion. Texas cannot outlaw the practice of any given religion, or prevent worshipers from assembling for the purpose of practicing any given religion. But as far as a "state book," it's not so cut-and-dry. It can be argued that the Bible, as a literary work, is just as much a contender for state book as Stephen King's The Stand. I don't like or agree with this seemingly slippery slope, but it's legally inaccurate to say the state of Texas cannot make the Christian Bible the official state book based upon the current laws and Supreme Court rulings as they stand.

Also, if a politician wants to give a religious sermon, he is within his rights (both freedom of religion and freedom of speech). This case seems very much to be a LEGAL MATTER. It's not an absolute yea-o'-nea.

FIRST AMENDMENT wrote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Looking at the First Amendment to the US Constitution, to which the state governments are bound, making the Christian Bible a state book doesn't actually violate these governmental restrictions (on paper). The state of Texas isn't declaring a state religion, nor outlawing any given religion.

I don't like the implications of making the Christian Bible a "state book," but it's inaccurate to say "THIS IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL" flat-out, because, arguably, it isn't.

Last edited by ezbzbfcg2 on 03 Oct 2021, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:55 am

Fnord wrote:
In a move that completely disregards the U.S. Constitutional amendment separating Church and State...

See my post above. I don't agree with the move, I'm with you in spirit. But I'm interested in facts, and what's real, regardless of how I feel personally.

1st Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

States are bound to this by a 1947 Supreme Court ruling. Texas wouldn't actually be recognizing an establishment of religion simply because the "state book" is recognized by a religion as it's Holy Book. (Though, in fairness, people and good lawyers can argue otherwise). Nor does recognizing the Bible as a state book prohibit individuals from not recognizing its validity, nor stopping them from continuting to practice their own religion (or not practice any religion).

I don't think it's as black-and-white as people want to believe. I'm interested in TRUTH and FACTS, please don't assume I'm in favor of this piss-poor motion. I just don't like inaccurate statements, regardless of which "side" I'm on. Your statement is inaccurate.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:05 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
But to play devil's advocate, it's not as cut-and-dry as we'd like to think.

I do love a well reasoned and articulately argued devil’s advocate point.

I don’t have any come back. I think you are right.

It was lazy of me not to check the precise wording in the constitution. Precise word choices, and every comma, matter.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:23 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
In a move that completely disregards the U.S. Constitutional amendment separating Church and State...

See my post above. I don't agree with the move, I'm with you in spirit. But I'm interested in facts, and what's real, regardless of how I feel personally.

1st Amendment:

States are bound to this by a 1947 Supreme Court ruling. Texas wouldn't actually be recognizing an establishment of religion simply because the "state book" is recognized by a religion as it's Holy Book. (Though, in fairness, people and good lawyers can argue otherwise). Nor does recognizing the Bible as a state book prohibit individuals from not recognizing its validity, nor stopping them from continuting to practice their own religion (or not practice any religion).

I don't think it's as black-and-white as people want to believe. I'm interested in TRUTH and FACTS, please don't assume I'm in favor of this piss-poor motion. I just don't like inaccurate statements, regardless of which "side" I'm on. Your statement is inaccurate.

Yep. And what the heck is a "state book" anyway?

In the daily lives of citizens its about as important as the "state bird".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

1st Amendment:

The whole point of it is, Abbott wants to beat everyone else over the head with the Bible as the state book, and show how conservatives are such God fearing patriots. Kind of lost the whole point of the Bible by transforming it into a mallet.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

1st Amendment:

The whole point of it is, Abbott wants to beat everyone else over the head with the Bible as the state book, and show how conservatives are such God fearing patriots. Kind of lost the whole point of the Bible by transforming it into a mallet.

The Bible is being chosen over Lonesome Dove? The latter was written by someone actually from Texas.

Though Larry McMurtry did co-write the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, so there’s that…

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:46 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The Bible is being chosen over Lonesome Dove? The latter was written by someone actually from Texas.

Though Larry McMurtry did co-write the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, so there’s that…

If I learned anything from Full Metal Jacket the fact that he also wrote that makes his book even more suitable.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 9:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Don't forget, they prefer Supply Side Jesus over Jesus of Nazareth.

thanks for the link, it's pretty great!