Do you hate how some sites have a monopoly?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2021, 7:32 am

There's this situation I noticed where the most popular site for a search, with the most posts somehow... has approval for accounts, which can take even weeks... I've really no idea how it became popular due to that, maybe they only implemented it after... with the two sites below it having so much less traffic and responses despite not hindering accounts...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 8:05 am

To be honest, if they are going to be that invasive in their scrutineering for one to join I would not bother!

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2021, 8:42 am

I don't usually bother either if it's some casual discussion site, but it's one for technical questions, and the two others have a very low user base in comparison...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 10:25 am

It is not a monopoly if other websites cover the same topics.

If you are referring to the IEEE website, then their exclusivity policies may have a lot to do with making certain that their members are all professional electrical engineers, and not a group of amateur “scientists” working on nonsensical projects like perpetual motion, free energy, and cold fusion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2021, 1:19 am

Nah, I'm not referring to that, this is more of a software kind of technical, and it's a monopoly in a similar sense Facebook is... there might be others, but they have few people on them, and so useless if the point is other people's answers etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 8:54 am

You have the wrong concept of a "monopoly".  The correct definition is "the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service."  The mere fact that one website is vastly more popular than all similar websites combined does not render the one website a monopoly.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 9:16 am

Search Engines have preferred sites that come up on available searches .... Often websites ,
have paid certain companies that run these search engines, to have that spot on search results.
With revolent results generally being related to geographic location. But certainly not inclusive of the variety of of local websites available. Google is a lousey search engine.
With the types of results that , i have described above . IMHO

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 9:23 am

Jakki wrote:
Search Engines have preferred sites that come up on available searches .... Often websites, have paid certain companies that run these search engines, to have that spot on search results. With revolent results generally being related to geographic location. But certainly not inclusive of the variety of of local websites available. Google is a lousey search engine. With the types of results that, i have described above. IMHO
The foregoing is apropos of nothing.

:roll: By the way, you misspelled "relevant" and "lousy".

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 9:30 am

Fnord wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Search Engines have preferred sites that come up on available searches .... Often websites, have paid certain companies that run these search engines, to have that spot on search results. With revolent results generally being related to geographic location. But certainly not inclusive of the variety of of local websites available. Google is a lousey search engine. With the types of results that, i have described above. IMHO
The foregoing is apropos of nothing.

:roll: By the way, you misspelled "relevant" and "lousy".

Thank you for pointing out about spelling , no coffee yet this morning is my only excuse.
And this is a very old Samsung keyboard . Which doesn't seem to match my keystrokes.
And can still hope that little tidbit of Info. is helpful to someone . (btw Good Morning fnord) .

where ever you go ,there you are