Page 22 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:31 pm

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:40 pm

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 5:43 am

We've already mentioned robot workers in this thread. I'm betting farm work is top on their list.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:55 am

Axeman wrote:
We've already mentioned robot workers in this thread. I'm betting farm work is top on their list.

Yep, that area of the workforce is already being replaced by robots. It has been on the radar for quite sometime.

https://builtin.com/robotics/harvesting ... re-root-ai

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:03 am

My farming relatives used to complain about how hard they had to work back in the day to get their grain harvest in. They can now do it in a much faster time with much better equipment. Eventually they will not even need to leave the farm house, as they will be able to do it via remote controls from there.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/a ... -reduces-3

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:12 am

It that was not enough, farmers now use drones to check on fields. They used to have to drive out there to do it themselves, but now they can do it remotely.

https://shop.quadrocopter.com/Agriculture_c_351.html

Robotics is the new breakthrough for farming and ranching. With it, you need less farmhands to do the same amount of work. Some will hate it, but it is the future direction that we are going towards.

BTW: I have some invention ideas in this area (farming robotics) that I want to patent, so I support going this way.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
My farming relatives used to complain about how hard they had to work back in the day to get their grain harvest in. They can now do it in a much faster time with much better equipment. Eventually they will not even need to leave the farm house, as they will be able to do it via remote controls from there.

I do not know about that.  Farmers will still need to "walk the rows" to actually feel, see, smell, and even taste how the crops are doing, and in ways that no drone could duplicate.  A drone can only "see" what it is programmed to see, while an experienced farmer can see two bugs mating and know right away that the cutworms are coming.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:17 am

Misslizard wrote:
Then I wonder why UFW sends me emails with petitions to sign?
https://ufw.org/

Looolz ... this is quite poignant . .. This makes you the closest thing , we have to a
United Farm Workers Union , we might have here . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:00 am

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

I do not know about that.  Farmers will still need to "walk the rows" to actually feel, see, smell, and even taste how the crops are doing, and in ways that no drone could duplicate.  A drone can only "see" what it is programmed to see, while an experienced farmer can see two bugs mating and know right away that the cutworms are coming.

Initially I thought that way too, but the farmers are starting to adapt to this technology more. The older farmers will tend to be set in their ways, but the upcoming new generation of farmers are way more tech savvy. There are sensor systems that are being tested now that can monitor the soil, local insects, and the crop in real time. The information can be relayed to the farmer’s smart phone.

The farmers already watch real time weather data for their fields, so this is just another step. The sensor systems can be made with biodegradable materials, so no need to pull them during the harvest season. They possibly can be intergraded into the crop seed to monitor the plant in situ, but that will need further research development to make it to production. The magic for this to work involves nanotechnology.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:14 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
... the upcoming new generation of farmers are way more tech savvy. There are sensor systems that are being tested now that can monitor the soil, local insects, and the crop in real time. The information can be relayed to the farmer’s smart phone. ... The sensor systems can be made with biodegradable materials, so no need to pull them during the harvest season. They possibly can be intergraded into the crop seed to monitor the plant in situ, but that will need further research development to make it to production. The magic for this to work involves nanotechnology.
The key words "... are being tested...", "... can monitor...", "... can be relayed...", "... can be made...", "... can be integrated...", "... possibly can be integrated...", "... need further research...", and "... magic..." imply or state that the technology has either not been fully developed or tested, or that it does not exist yet, making your claims hypothetical, at best.

HOWEVER, I acknowledge that even current technology is adaptable, and that future technology will likely do everything you have described (maybe even more); but machines are only as trustworthy as their designers, and software is only as good as its programmers.  There will still need to be on-the-spot verification (by 1 person instead of 10, of course) that the hardware and software are meeting expectations, and that every known contingency has been accounted for.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:02 am

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
... the upcoming new generation of farmers are way more tech savvy. There are sensor systems that are being tested now that can monitor the soil, local insects, and the crop in real time. The information can be relayed to the farmer’s smart phone. ... The sensor systems can be made with biodegradable materials, so no need to pull them during the harvest season. They possibly can be intergraded into the crop seed to monitor the plant in situ, but that will need further research development to make it to production. The magic for this to work involves nanotechnology.
The key words "... are being tested...", "... can monitor...", "... can be relayed...", "... can be made...", "... can be integrated...", "... possibly can be integrated...", "... need further research...", and "... magic..." imply or state that the technology has either not been fully developed or tested, or that it does not exist yet, making your claims hypothetical, at best.

HOWEVER, I acknowledge that even current technology is adaptable, and that future technology will likely do everything you have described (maybe even more); but machines are only as trustworthy as their designers, and software is only as good as its programmers.  There will still need to be on-the-spot verification (by 1 person instead of 10, of course) that the hardware and software are meeting expectations, and that every known contingency has been accounted for.

The reason why I post it that way is because I do not have “hands on” experience with that part of the technology. However I do have farming friends who are involved with the testing of said technology on their farms. They give me information about what is being currently tested there and what direction the developers are going. They do not have a NDA with the research team. Having that information given to me by farmers is an advantage of growing up in rural America.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:06 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
The key words "... are being tested...", "... can monitor...", "... can be relayed...", "... can be made...", "... can be integrated...", "... possibly can be integrated...", "... need further research...", and "... magic..." imply or state that the technology has either not been fully developed or tested, or that it does not exist yet, making your claims hypothetical, at best.  HOWEVER, I acknowledge that even current technology is adaptable, and that future technology will likely do everything you have described (maybe even more); but machines are only as trustworthy as their designers, and software is only as good as its programmers.  There will still need to be on-the-spot verification (by 1 person instead of 10, of course) that the hardware and software are meeting expectations, and that every known contingency has been accounted for.
The reason why I post it that way is because I do not have “hands on” experience with that part of the technology. However I do have farming friends who are involved with the testing of said technology on their farms. They give me information about what is being currently tested there and what direction the developers are going. They do not have a NDA with the research team. Having that information given to me by farmers is an advantage of growing up in rural America.
Certainly.  Full implementation of the technology is not yet here; but when it does arrive, I hope that the farming industry is not taken over by people who rely solely on their farming technology without knowing what it is like to even pulls weeds from a backyard garden.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:15 am

as a non-sequiter here: please note that chinese investors have buying up huge tracts of farmland here in the USA . As have read in available reports on Chinas activities here in the US .
So the chinese maybe able to afford to implement that technology for farming, rather quickly.
At a greatly reduced cost to themselves . (Just offered as food for thought.)

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 12:36 pm

People who hate working people making fair wages might not like this.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 1:10 pm

Jakki wrote:
as a non-sequiter here: please note that chinese investors have buying up huge tracts of farmland here in the USA . As have read in available reports on Chinas activities here in the US .
So the chinese maybe able to afford to implement that technology for farming, rather quickly.
At a greatly reduced cost to themselves . (Just offered as food for thought.)

Yup.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... 4a3a3.html

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 2:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

People who hate working people making fair wages might not like this.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. It illustrates how the job and wage market should work. An employer needs work done and this is the market rate. The government isn't forcing the wage the labor market is.

Great example of the Invisible Hand in action.