The response I am gonna give whenever I am asked....

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 11:20 am

magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When my answer was "Because I have not yet met the right woman" people started introducing me to their female friends and relatives.

That's much kinder than well, have you considered a pet?

Yes I have considered you as my pet. ;)

Last I checked I'm a mangy stray, so I expect a bath. Extra attention to the dirty bits. :mrgreen:

Apply anti-mite meds pre-emptively. And, of course, watch out for fleas!

If there's enough Churu I can behave. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Oct 2021, 11:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
If there's enough Churu I can behave. :nerdy:

No pee in the slippers? :cat:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 11:22 pm

GadgetGuru wrote:
That said, it seems to me that marriage is best when it's a very personal interpretation of what it means, and doesn't necessarily need to be "legal", IE sanctioned by "God and Government", or even permanent. A high level of commitment to a relationship, even a relationship that is knowingly or unknowingly restricted in scope by the cognitive abilities of the people involved, can be defined as a marriage, IMHO.

magz wrote:
"The right woman" is .... someone attracted to you, attractive to you and compatible enough for life together.

This seems like a VERY sensible definition of a good relationship, stripped down to the essentials, and devoid of fluffery.

Quoting for truth and love :heart:

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:57 am

While I agree with the response, Ill tell you right now you'll grow more tired of the argument following it. People will fight you tooth and nail in some goody hopeful speech. A better response would be some confident "I tried dating and realized through the people ive met that I am happier by myself enjoying things I want.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 11:35 am

Well I guess a certain u2 song comes to mind. My response might just be "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For..."

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can't be serious!

I would NEVER respond that way.

I would say "I've haven't met the 'right one' as of yet." That's it.

Nothing about "failure"----because I'm not a failure.

People are not that naïve.

And what's wrong in admitting of failing in some area in life?

I am successful in career, but failure in romance. Why would that be equal to general failure?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:31 pm

Because you're not a "failure in romance." That's why. You've had romances, you just haven't gotten married yet.

And....one doesn't just admit this sort of thing in public.

I've been just a clerk for the past 40 years, and never got promoted. I don't think of myself as a failure, though other people might think that way.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 3:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Because you're not a "failure in romance." That's why. You've had romances, you just haven't gotten married yet.

And....one doesn't just admit this sort of thing in public.

I've been just a clerk for the past 40 years, and never got promoted. I don't think of myself as a failure, though other people might think that way.

Thats a bad analogy. A closer one would be saying you've been unemployable for 40 years but don't think of yourself as a failure. Since the case in question here has to do with not having a love life

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 4:13 pm

LOL....but the thing is....he's had romantic times. Therefore, he's not a "failure." And even if he didn't.....that doesn't make him a failure.

If he really wanted to get married, I'm sure he would have gotten married a long time ago. He was just inclined towards "the single life."

I could have gotten married when I was 20----but I didn't. I waited till I was 34. I wasn't a "failure" in romance for 14 years.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 4:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL....but the thing is....he's had romantic times. Therefore, he's not a "failure."

If he really wanted to get married, I'm sure he would have gotten married a long time ago. He was just inclined towards "the single life."

I don't think that's such a closed case. If boo were in his early 20s id be agreeing with you. But there's a point where the dating pool does shrink drastically. And at that point you have to make the decision to "settle" (and I don't mean that negatively before I get napalmed out here), or to just continue being single. Me personally Ive gone the single unless the one happens to find me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 4:33 pm

Depending on where you are, the "dating pool" could actually expand when people hit their mid to late 30s. Lots of divorces happen then. It's that ole "seven-year itch."

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 5:14 pm

For men, the dating pool gets larger as they age. Lots of widows but men in comparable position are fewer and want someone much younger.

I decided to take myself out of the mating game at 45 or so. Toward the latter part of the 40s, someone fell into my life out of nowhere.

The world is full of unpredictable twists.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 5:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Depending on where you are, the "dating pool" could actually expand when people hit their mid to late 30s. Lots of divorces happen then. It's that ole "seven-year itch."

I am not mid 30 anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 5:20 pm

But you're late 30s.....

My father got married to his second wife about 15 years after she divorced my mother. She was 25 years younger than him.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 5:28 pm

Your father must be very charming.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 8:43 pm

He was, actually.....I don't have 1/3 of his charm.