Anybody undecided for awhile in considering joining WP?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:35 pm

I found out about Wrong Planet whilst looking up fan discussions and theories about various different characters. This led me to someone's blog. Apparently they were a member of Wrong Planet and the blog linked me to a thread on Wrong Planet debating whether certain characters are autistic. The name of the forum was memorable to me because it reminded me of an episode of Arthur (1996 - present). For those unfamiliar, Arthur was (and still is - surprised it's apparently still going) a children's show about a talking aardvark and his friends. The episode tried to explain what autism is to a young audience. It compared autism to being on an alien planet where everyone is yelling and no one makes a great deal of sense.

Anyway, a couple of years later or so I started going to online therapy sessions. I went to discuss how to build a healthier self image, how to cope in certain situations better and general self-improvement. During one of our sessions, my therapist asked me if I'd ever considered the fact I might be autistic. I said no and wondered if I should be considering it. She sent me a PDF about anxiety in autistic individuals and how it can differ from how anxiety impacts allistic people. In her message she also remarked that I probably knew all this.

Which reminded me of the blog post and how it had mentioned a place called Wrong Planet. I decided to make a thread here about my experience with the online therapist. That's all I had originally intended to do, to see if I could relate to any of the members here and if it was worth looking into. However, since I was here I kept asking questions and posting responses, and well - I forgot to leave. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:42 pm

I lurked during the assessment process and joined the day I got my diagnosis. Back then I had no idea that WP accepts undiagnosed people, and is a great resource for those that suspect autism.

I had been on a couple of other forums but never had any desire to join a support group. I joined out of curiosity and WP was the first place to come up on google.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:17 pm

I wasn't planning on joining any forums, but when I first had internet in my house (in late 2009) I finally had the private opportunity to research autism to try to understand my diagnosis better. After a couple of months of googling about autism, I inadvertently stumbled upon a WP thread and I had an itching urge to post a reply, so I signed up an account just to post that one reply. Then somehow I became a regular member here and have been coming here nearly every day since. Over 11 years! Do you think I'll still be visiting this website when I'm an old lady? :lol:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:32 pm

It took me probably a year or so to join, then another year or two to work up the courage to actually post something. Yes, I said years, and no I am not exaggerating. It was my first real forum experience, and I have horrible social anxiety. Took me a while after that to really warm up to it, but now I don’t shut up :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Last edited by dragonsanddemons on 18 Oct 2021, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:33 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
It took me probably a year or so to join, then another year or two to work up the courage to actually post something. It was my first real forum experience, and I have horrible social anxiety. Took me a while after that to really warm up to it, but now I don’t shut up :lol:

And that's the way we like it. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
It took me probably a year or so to join, then another year or two to work up the courage to actually post something. It was my first real forum experience, and I have horrible social anxiety. Took me a while after that to really warm up to it, but now I don’t shut up :lol:

And that's the way we like it. 8)

Thank you :) Sometimes I worry that I’m annoying.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"