Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 10:12 am

Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The only humor Trump ever demonstrated was when insulting or denigrating someone else. Trump is too much of a malignant personality to display any other kind of humor.

He didn't jokingly denigrate "Sleepy Joe", so I have proven you wrong right there. :P

Seriously, you need a perceivable sense of humour to understand Trump.
Those on the left either cannot see it or don't want to because of their hatred for Trump.

This is why it is better not to be hyperpartisan.
Being an independant and open-minded allows for objectivity. 8)

Hey skunko my views are mostly conservative but I voted Biden because tRump is bat s**t nuts and anyone with half a brain should be able to get it.

An epic non-sequitur.
Kudos. :thumright: :mrgreen:

Whatever. I'm hoping he has an unfortunate accident like the back of his head exploding from the impact of a small fast metal object long before the next election.

I hope Trump winds up in prison and chokes on a Big Mac, his prison cell roommate. That would be a fitting end to someone with such an ego.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 10:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Trump hates anyone who could honestly call him out as a fool and a coward: Epidemiologists, Journalists, Physicians, Veterans, Virologists, Women, et cetera.  It is as if he must discredit them before they even think about discrediting him.

Sad!

He removed most of the funding for the physical sciences near the start of his time in office. It was done for a very good reason, as he wanted control over others. He wanted to award research grants only to those who held his ideals that climate change did not exist.

Most scientists in America lost respect for him when he did this. There were many who looked into leaving the country when this happened. I was among them, but decided to wait to see if he would get re-elected. Had he been allowed to continue in office, I would have left this year.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 10:35 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Trump hates anyone who could honestly call him out as a fool and a coward: Epidemiologists, Journalists, Physicians, Veterans, Virologists, Women, et cetera.  It is as if he must discredit them before they even think about discrediting him.

Sad!

He removed most of the funding for the physical sciences near the start of his time in office. It was done for a very good reason, as he wanted control over others. He wanted to award research grants only to those who held his ideals that climate change did not exist.

Most scientists in America lost respect for him when he did this. There were many who looked into leaving the country when this happened. I was among them, but decided to wait to see if he would get re-elected. Had he been allowed to continue in office, I would have left this year.

They know climate change is real. They just don't want any restrictions on business because of it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 2:01 pm

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:

Astonishing how difficult it seems to be to distinguish the bumbling old person (the new incumbent) from the pathologically lying narcissist (the orange thing).

IMO, if both sides can stop acting like little kids in a schoolyard with the name-calling, mud-slinging, and anything of the such, perhaps the US can be a much better country.

But unfortunately no. The US still has "Pumpkin" Trump who is still whining about losing the
2020 election to Joe Biden (with supporters to match) and Democrats who may be breaking away from
Joe Biden just because he's barely one year in his first term as POTUS.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 2:14 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Trump called John McCain "a dummy" because he got caught.
He was outrageously joking around as he always does.
People who have a poor understanding of humour don't get it.
I get it. 8)

If something is generally considered not funny it isn't a problem with people lacking a sense of humour, it's a problem with what the attempted comedian is using for material.

I find Trumps humour *generally* entertaining/amusing. :mrgreen:
Am I a bad person? :(

BTW, If a progressive politician joked the same way, would that be OK? :scratch:

I wouldn't consider someone to be a bad person simply on the basis of what they laugh at. Further, I would actually agree with you that at least some of Trump's statements that get covered as being tonedeaf were probably attempts at humour.

I don't think this is one of them, McCain didn't just get 'caught', he was subjected to significant torture at the hands of his captors. There's plenty of jokes that would be fair to make at his expense, but haha you got shot down and tortured seems pretty tasteless no matter who's making it - you know, unless it's someone who lost a loved one after John McCain murdered them with his fighter plane. Outside of that scenario it's just tasteless and within that scenario it's not really a joke, it's just a dig at someone who wronged you.

Well, I have been ritually abused as a child, gang-stalked for most of my life, live the life of a suburban hermit because I am sick of the intimidation and humiliation, have been cyber-stalked for 20 years, but I still have a sense of humour. 8)

I think you young people take yourselves too seriously and look for excuses to be mortally offended.
What you don't seem to understand is that politics is a very dirty game and only for the psychologically tough.
"If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen" sort of thing.

Hillary talked about the Republican "deplorables".
A lot of people were hugely offended by that also.
It was "water off a skunk's back" to me.
Toughen up, dude. 8)

People are entitled to call out what they consider to be morally reprehensible behaviour that goes beyond the pale.
Making excuses for it like insisting everyone who finds it repulsive just needs to toughen up isn't actually a defence.

You're just defending the indefensible, it doesn't make you a bad person but it's evidence that your formative experiences have caused you to internalize and normalize abuse and needless cruelty as 'just stuff that's gonna happen' and that's not a healthy mindset and further normalizing it would just mean more people have bought into it. I'm sorry life's experiences have caused you to develop these unhealthy coping mechanisms because that's not your fault, but I'm still entitled to call it what it is.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:10 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Sad!

As opposed to grants being given to people/organisations that had a climate change bias. :scratch:
This works both ways, yes, depending on who is in power. 8)

QuantumChemist wrote:

Do you mean the 97% of *activist* scientists including Micky Mouse? :mrgreen:

Last edited by Cornflake on 24 Oct 2021, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Redacted an unnecessary political jibe at another's views

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:20 pm

Axeman wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Sad!

They know climate change is real. They just don't want any restrictions on business because of it.

There has always been climate change.

Here in Australia there is a debate about nuclear energy.
It is unfathomable to me why the left is vigously opposing the development of a new modular nuclear industry when it produces no CO2.

If all life on earth will be extinguished in 5 years, <hyperbole>, why resist a proven baseline energy source which produces no carbon emission?

This is totally irrational, and is an obvious sign of "politics" being the main factor driving a *political* narrative. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:27 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
ThisTimelessMoment wrote:

Astonishing how difficult it seems to be to distinguish the bumbling old person (the new incumbent) from the pathologically lying narcissist (the orange thing).

IMO, if both sides can stop acting like little kids in a schoolyard with the name-calling, mud-slinging, and anything of the such, perhaps the US can be a much better country.

But unfortunately no. The US still has "Pumpkin" Trump who is still whining about losing the
2020 election to Joe Biden (with supporters to match) and Democrats who may be breaking away from
Joe Biden just because he's barely one year in his first term as POTUS.

Hillary was whinging about losing the election for years too. ;)
Even had talk-show appearances.
A bit of objectivity would be nice in these discussions. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Trump called John McCain "a dummy" because he got caught.
He was outrageously joking around as he always does.
People who have a poor understanding of humour don't get it.
I get it. 8)

If something is generally considered not funny it isn't a problem with people lacking a sense of humour, it's a problem with what the attempted comedian is using for material.

I find Trumps humour *generally* entertaining/amusing. :mrgreen:
Am I a bad person? :(

BTW, If a progressive politician joked the same way, would that be OK? :scratch:

I wouldn't consider someone to be a bad person simply on the basis of what they laugh at. Further, I would actually agree with you that at least some of Trump's statements that get covered as being tonedeaf were probably attempts at humour.

I don't think this is one of them, McCain didn't just get 'caught', he was subjected to significant torture at the hands of his captors. There's plenty of jokes that would be fair to make at his expense, but haha you got shot down and tortured seems pretty tasteless no matter who's making it - you know, unless it's someone who lost a loved one after John McCain murdered them with his fighter plane. Outside of that scenario it's just tasteless and within that scenario it's not really a joke, it's just a dig at someone who wronged you.

Well, I have been ritually abused as a child, gang-stalked for most of my life, live the life of a suburban hermit because I am sick of the intimidation and humiliation, have been cyber-stalked for 20 years, but I still have a sense of humour. 8)

I think you young people take yourselves too seriously and look for excuses to be mortally offended.
What you don't seem to understand is that politics is a very dirty game and only for the psychologically tough.
"If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen" sort of thing.

Hillary talked about the Republican "deplorables".
A lot of people were hugely offended by that also.
It was "water off a skunk's back" to me.
Toughen up, dude. 8)

People are entitled to call out what they consider to be morally reprehensible behaviour that goes beyond the pale.
Making excuses for it like insisting everyone who finds it repulsive just needs to toughen up isn't actually a defence.

That is your opinion, yes.
I suggest you toughen up.
The real world is a rather brutal place. 8)

funeralxempire wrote:
You're just defending the indefensible,

I am defending the objective Truth.
I.E. Politics is a dirty game and *both* sides engage in dirty politics.
Calling the opposition "racists, sexists, homophobic fascists", a la Gangnam Hillary Clinton style could be seen as "indefensible" also, but the person needs to be non-partisan in nature to see it.

funeralxempire wrote:
it doesn't make you a bad person but it's evidence that your formative experiences have caused you to internalize and normalize abuse and needless cruelty as 'just stuff that's gonna happen' and that's not a healthy mindset and further normalizing it would just mean more people have bought into it. I'm sorry life's experiences have caused you to develop these unhealthy coping mechanisms because that's not your fault, but I'm still entitled to call it what it is.

It is amusing that *you* are trying to psychoanalyse *me*, youngster. :mrgreen:

The Oracle of Truth has spoken. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm

Pepe wrote:

I'm familiar with how brutal the world can be but I see go reason why we need to act like it ought to be that way. People shouldn't have to develop the coping mechanisms that I'm trying to outgrow and that you embrace like they're healthy.

Pepe wrote:
Calling the opposition "racists, sexists, homophobic fascists", a la Gangnam Hillary Clinton style could be seen as "indefensible" also, but the person needs to be non-partisan in nature to see it.

Was she not supposed to speak the truth? :scratch:
You've long been a defender of the idea that calling out bigotry is the same espousing it and you're still as incorrect as ever on that matter.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 5:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I'm familiar with how brutal the world can be but I see go reason why we need to act like it ought to be that way. People shouldn't have to develop the coping mechanisms that I'm trying to outgrow and that you embrace like they're healthy.

You are misrepresenting my position.
I am not advocating uncivil behaviour.
I think being in touch with reality is important and that requires not having a partisan mindset.
If you can't handle the Truth, I suggest you close your eyes and ears.

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Was she not supposed to speak the truth? :scratch:
You've long been a defender of the idea that calling out bigotry is the same espousing it and you're still as incorrect as ever on that matter.

I lose interest when you constantly miss the point.
Pepe out. 8)

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 7:43 pm

https://ifunny.co/meme/donald-trump-as- ... -hRd3chfM4

Trump as a comic vilian. In the Green Lantern comics, the Orange Lanterns are vilians whose rings are powered by greed rather than will power. I thought Trump would be perfect for that and figured I wasn't the first person to think of it. A quick search showed I was right.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 8:29 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Sad!

Not sure how you can make America great again without funding science??
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... al-budget/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00719-4
https://www.science.org/content/article ... -ink-again

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 9:51 pm

Axeman wrote:
https://m.imgur.com/t/heroescon/RXyTe3y

:lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 9:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Sad!

Not sure how you can make America great again without funding science??
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... al-budget/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00719-4
https://www.science.org/content/article ... -ink-again

Easy, when the new right doesn't believe in real science anymore.