Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 8:02 am

Subset of autism cases linked to mutations in noncoding genome

Quote:
Mutations in noncoding portions of the genome contribute to autism in at least 3 percent of people with the condition. The mutations affect regions that help regulate known autism-linked genes.

Researchers presented the unpublished findings today at the 2021 American Society of Human Genetics conference, which is taking place virtually for the second year in a row.

Autism is largely genetic in its origins, and it is linked to mutations in more than 100 genes within the exome, which makes up about 1 percent of the genome. But only about a quarter of autistic people have a known genetic explanation for their diagnosis.

To bridge that gap, some researchers have begun probing the other 99 percent of the genome, which doesn’t contain genes.

In the new work, the researchers examined promoters, stretches of noncoding DNA that modulate how genes are expressed. Because promoters occur in close proximity to the genes they regulate, researchers can more easily discern the effects of mutations in them, compared with other portions of the noncoding genome, says Ryan Doan, assistant professor of pediatrics at Boston Children’s Hospital in Massachusetts, who presented the work.

The researchers used several public databases to identify noncoding regions that are likely to regulate genes involved in brain development. They focused on so-called biallelic mutations, which occur in both the maternal and paternal copies of the regions.

Next they looked for the mutations in 662 people, including 193 with autism, from the Homozygosity Mapping Collaborative for Autism cohort, which recruits families from the Middle East, Turkey and Pakistan. The parents in the cohort have higher-than-average rates of intra-family marriage, increasing the odds of biallelic mutations among their children.

Such mutations occur more frequently in the promoter sequences of autistic people than non-autistic people, Doan and his team found. And the same result emerged when the team repeated the analysis in 21,247 people, including 5,456 autistic people, who participate in the Autism Sequencing Consortium.

Overall, these noncoding mutations contributed to autism in approximately 3 percent of autistic people, the researchers found; the mutations affect more than 20 genes strongly linked to autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 8:08 am

Autism can be genetic, it can be chromosomal, it can also be a totally random mutation.

This is why one specific treatment for the singular condition known as "autism" probably wouldn't work on most people with autism.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 1:05 am

with as always the caveat that correlation and causation are not the same thing

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 7:40 am

I suspect in the future they will be able to fix these issues to make the gene work as it should potentially curing the patient.

Since genetic reasons are found in around 25% of autistic cases I suspect its likely Mutations in noncoding portions of the genome account for more than just 3% we’ll soon know one day I’m sure.

- George Bernie Shaw