Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 2:34 pm

I am often wondering how come aspies are usually atheists. Is it because you perceive Christianity as the religion of the majority while you feel like a minority? Well, if you read the actual Gospels you will see the opposite picture. Jesus was actually coming to the defense of minorities against the majority. The main quarrel of Jesus against Pharesees was not to judge based on what is popular. So I can easily picture Pharesees representing NT-s while Jesus representing aspies.

Of course, gays is a different story because in their case they are actually guilty of a specific sin that is explicity spelled out in the Bible. But I am not talking about gays here. I am talking about aspies. There is nowhere in the Bible where it says that it is a sin to be an aspie. The ONLY aspie-relevant place in the Bible is pretty much Jesus coming to the defense of the rejects. So I don't see why aspies wouldn't like this message. Or could it be that you are not looking at it that closely and instead you are saying "oh Bible doesn't like gays so it dislikes all minorities including aspies"? Is this your thinking?

Maybe the reason why Aspies don't see Jesus as a defender of the rejects is because NT-s don't seem to see Him that way either. I remember some situations where Christian girls rejected me because "God told them it won't work"; then I kept insisting they tell me how do they know God said this, and then finally they said their friends said it and "God speaks through people". This made me want to scream at them "since when did Jesus side with what is popular?!" So could it be that NT-s hijacked Jesus and made it out as if he is on NT side, and then aspies ended up disliking the verion of Jesus NT-s created, instead of actually reading the Bible?

The other thought that I was thinking is this. Could it be that for most people religion is a "social endeavor". After all, they go to the church where they were raised, they go there to socialize, etc. So since aspies are not fully engaged socially, this by extension means they aren't fully engaged religiously? If so, that would be a bit ironic because, once again, Jesus' message does NOT seem like a social message; quite the opposite in fact. So NT-s, as a part of their social endeavor, ended up learning about very individualistic Jesus, yet they totally miss out His individualism since it goes against the "social context" in which they encounter Him, and therefore aspies that watch them miss out His individualism too? Could this be it?

And then of course there is a question as to why aspies are consistenly left wing on every issue. Lets take COVID vaccines. For some reason -- that I don't logically understand -- the anti-vaxers are right wingers. I have no idea why. What does opposition to Affirmative Action has to do with refusal to vaccinate? But in any case, for some reason it seems that way. But now look at aspies on this forum. They are all pro-vaccine. Now, how would you explain *THIS ONE* in terms of social experience. If anything, it would help people to "fit in" if they DO get a vaccine. So if Aspies don't go to church because they don't care about fitting in, then they should be the likeliest ones to oppose vaccines. Yet the facts point to the opposite direction. Why?

By the way, if you are going to present arguments how religion is irrational or how its irrational to refuse vaccines, this wouldn't answer my question. My question is NOT "why some people are atheists and vaccinate" rather my question IS "why is being an atheist and choosing to vaccinate correlates with being an aspie". See what I am getting at? So here is a given: some people are devoted Christian and refuse to vaccinate. THE QUESTION IS: why are those people overwhelmingly NT?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

I just believe in one fewer god than you do, why would we be comfortable rejecting the vast majority of gods that men have ever created but make an exception for any given interpretation of this specific one? That doesn't seem very logically consistent if you know and sincerely believe that all other gods are just mythology and superstition.

Obviously there's always an internal logic that resolves that issue but from an atheist perspective it just appears inconsistent.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 2:52 am

Personally, I struggled for a while with coming to terms with why God designed me differently from other people, until I actually started to understand how God works. Perhaps many aspies reject God, because they can't wrap their head around the idea that a God exists that dealt them the cards they have.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 6:33 am

[What I write is not against any individual as I like you all really! :P It is writing as I generally find it. Please be aware of this.]

I know quite a few on the spectrum who believe in God. When I joined this site there seemed to be almost a 50/50 mix between those who believed and those who did not, but due to both anti Trump and anti Christian or any other religion bullying, I have seen the numbers of believers decline rapidly as many have left and others have just gone quiet as they feel they are not allowed to speak. (For some reason with your politics in the USA, I have noticed that voting for Trump tends to be a Christian thing and voting for the opposition tends to be an Atheistic thing? I maybe wrong but this is the impression I have from the views I see on this site and your media etc).
The changes on this site rules to restrict the freedom of speech (Which have been significantly changed since I first joined as I read every rule before joining) also made an impact, as many have found themselves breaching the rules to reply to posts that can only really be answered by bring ones faith into the picture, but they then find themselves getting warnings (Which did not happen in the past. It used to be a case that as long as one was sensible one was ok), and decide that this site is not for them so they leave.

Covid has also made a significent impact. Many of us who for one reason or another can't have the vaccine or won't have the vaccine as their faith stops them find that this site is becoming a "No go" area for them to express their views.

One may not realize how much site bullying goes on unless one lives ones life from the other side.
One watches atheists (And I also will defend their rights to freedom of speech) having pretty much a free reign to comment on everything while Christians are getting more and more restricted in what they can and can't say.
It is not just on this site that this is happening. There is an unjust movement within governments of the western world, the education systems and the news media who go out of their way to pick on Christians when anyone who dare suggest any other theory except for atheism gets hammered on the media or gets lower grades in schools and collages or gets restricted from the freedom of speech in government (Especially in the UK andin the EU) and this is supposed to be a democratic country?

So how have we reached this point where the rules are stacked towards non believers but stacked against believers when we used to promote a more balanced view?

Going back to this site, I have watched new members join and confess their faith, and I have thought to myself "They won't last long" and give it a month or two and they have never posted again. I see these patterns. I also see the patterns of those who join who hold onto ateistic beliefs who also have a non binary orientation and those members find this site an excellent fit for their freedoms of expression which is good, and I am glad for them...
But the issue is that this site is now becoming more and more out of balance if one is asking the question "Why is there a higher percentage of atheistic people on the spectrum then there is compared to the realm of the allistic world" and I would say from what I have seen that there isn't. If anything it is the other way around. It is just on sites like this one will notice that.

But before I finish there is something I will say and I have noticed about those who are on the spectrum, and that is whether they are atheists or Christians or hold onto any other belief, that they go into their beliefs deeper then allistic (NT's) do, so if one looks at it this way, one really does start to see what is happening here.
Consider this. If someone on the spectrum is a Christian or an atneist or whatever other faith or belief they are classed as, they go deep. One knows their beliefs because they have really thought about it.
Now think of those who are not on the spectrum who do what I call "Surface think". They may call themselves a Christian, or an atheist, or anything else they happen to be, but this is far more likely to be because their family grew up with that belief and it has been passed through generation after generation and they have not really thought much about it from a personal point of view. They tend to follow what is fasionable for them at the time where they have no real elief in anything, because when people like me start to go deep to find out what they really believe and why, Christians not on the spectrum who have not had a personal Godly experience tend to not have any spiritual side to them, and those who say they are atheists will admit they have never really thought about it and say that there might be a God out there, but they don't really know and they call themselves atneists because they don't know what to believe and it suite them to say they are something rather then say they don't know.

These will also warp the figures quite a bit as peer pressure which allistic people are very suseptable to will make them say they are an atheist, or a Christian etc, etc, because they really don't know and want to "Appear" to be something rather than be ambarissed to admit that they really don't know what they believe (And it is ok to admit that you don't know. I personally would rather someone say this to me then to lie, though I fully understand why they would want to pretend they are in one camp or the other, as they want to fit in somewhere, as it is their nature).

So I will say that there is a whole lot more to explore when answering your question then you may think. That is all. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 7:21 am

There’s lots of religious people here.

Christians sometimes believe that only Christians can be “religious” for some reason.

Don’t forget about the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Animists, etc. Yes, I find people who practice “tribal” religions are religious, too.

I am an agnostic atheist.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:21 am

Being a "christian" and a follower of Jesus is not necessarily the same thing. If you get my meaning. I think it kind of boils down to the us aspies usually never feeing as if we fit in to the group that causes most of us to reject religion.
When we reject the "religious" stuff we assume that we can reject a belief in God too and never go on to investigate the matter further therefore identify as atheist. There is a lot of popular support for atheism nowadays so many will be comfortable with it.
Thats just my observation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:31 am

Following everything Jesus said -- including the things He said about Himself -- in His "Sermon On The Mount" (e.g., Matthew 5:1 to 7:29) is 99% of what any Christian really needs.

The rest is also important, as long as its interpretation does not conflict with what Jesus taught; so the next time some "Christian" preacher tries to tell you to hate other people (i.e., immigrants, Jews, leftists, Muslims, "People of Color", women, and those who are LGBTQ+), walk away and do not look back.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:04 am

"Are You Ready For This? "

First of All, Boston University Did A Study
on this Forum We Are Interacting on Now.

The Results of that University Study Indicated
That Only 26% Of the Folks Here Identified As
Atheist in the Philosophy, Politics, And Religion
Forum on the "Wrong Planet" as Opposed to 17%

On A So-Called Control Group of So-Called Neurotypicals

on Another Similar Discussion Board Online For Comparison.

People on this Site were Assessed More Likely to Generate Their

Own Unique Spiritual Ways of

Seeing God;

For Example,
What i Just
Related to
A Very Close

Muslim FRiEnD:

"SMiles Dear FRiEnD
Love is The Force
my Greatest

Ally

God Within…

Foolish Sohair i Will
Ever Be To Separate

myself From Love

Through

DarK
And
LiGHT

Day
And
Night Same..."

Okay, the Specific Answer to Your
Question, Why Do Aspie Folks Get Vaccinated
And Shouldn't They Not Get Vaccinated if they
Don't Worry About Fitting in. The Simple Answer is, Vaccines Work.
Vaccines Save Lives And Folks With Asperger's Syndrome Wanna live too..

Now Back to the Ignorant Statement that God Doesn't Approve of Gay Folks

Cause it Says

it in the Bible...

Imagine this if you can and will, Considering That the Bible Says Jesus Will
Come Back the Next go Around, the Same Way He Came Before, 2,000 plus Years ago...

You Are Walking Down the Street And A Little Brown Man About What Paleontology
Describes Jesus As about Five Foot One and 106 American Measured Pounds or So Meets

You in the Street With Sandals on and a White Robe And Tells You, Turn The Other Cheek,
Love Your Enemy Same As Self, Neighbor, And God; And If You Do Not Do this i Will Torture

(Like Matthew Says Changing You From Sheep to Goat)

You Forever Now in Unrelenting Fires of Hell...

So What Would Your Response Be to Modern

Jesus?

Would You Believe this Little Brown Man Has
The Authority and Ability to Burn You Forever in
Hell, If you Do not Comply Strictly With His Instructions...

i'm Guessing, You Wouldn't Even Stay Around to Hear
The Rest of What He Said; Just Because of His Similar Small Middle Eastern
Look And His Thick Aramaic Accent, If He Spoke English At All to You or not...

Yet What if You Were Spoon-Fed These Instructions From A Book And told
God Wrote Those Words in that Book; And If You Do What it Says you Get the

Carrot of Heaven

Forever And If You Are

Muslim Perhaps You Get

Told You Get 72 Virgins 'up there' too...

Chances are You Might Drink 'the Kool-Aid' then

As It's True the 'Minions' Series of Movies Does Show
And Trump Confirms in Modern Days in the United States

too, Some Folks Are Willing to Follow the Most Despicable Leaders
As Sadly Like P.T. Barnum Related, There are 'Minions' Born Every Minute...

It's the Way that Child Molesters Groom Their Prey; They Feed Them A Steady
Supply of Carrots Until they Wack them With a Big Stick. And in the Case of the

So-Called Holy Catholic Roman Empire, 'They' Edited A Book of Mix and Match
Truth And Lies, Carrots and Sticks as Propaganda Same to Rule An Entire Empire

And Spread

it With

That Tool

of Religion

to Master Foolish

Minions Willing to take
the Hook, Line, And Sinker,

Of the Most Ridiculous Philosophies

Ever Presented to Mankind on Earth Like an

All Loving Forgiving God Torturing Part of His Creation Forever

That is the Most Horrifying Halloween Story Ever Told in Effect; Yet Folks

(Some Minions)

Do Enjoy

The Season

of Being Scared

Forever Now with the

Similar Damn Horror

Story NoW as THeir Only
Possibility to escape after death...

Imagine a Lie So Big That Folks Would
Actually Look Forward to After Death More

Than Before

Death and Life...

The Biggest Lie ever told

And An Ever Lasting Testament

to How Foolish the So-Called Apex
Creature Destroying Their Only Home

of Real Heaven on Earth Will Ever continue to be...

Yet Again, i See through that Bull Cr8p; And the Truth

Is, You Meet one Person on the Autism Spectrum, You've only
met one; The Folks on this Site are as different from each other

As anywhere else on the Internet and Perhaps Even More Different than
Each Other as it's typical for Folks With Asperger's Syndrome to Have Eccentric Special Interests....

The Stereotype That is Not Correct is that Most Asperger's Folks are of STEM Major Ilk that Studies
Show is not True as Only 33 Percent are studied that way; Yes that Stereotype Might Indicate

Folks here better understand
The Science Behind

Vaccines

Effectiveness
to Actually Save Lives...

Yet there are Vaccine Averse
Folks on this Site, Just like Anywhere Else...

Yet There are Fundamentalist Christians on this

Site Just Like Anywhere Else too And There is me, me, me,

Who Is Proven

Through

Behavior

Not to Be Like Anyone
Else in the Entire World;

However, From An Internal View

of Humanity We aRe ALL Unique

And Perhaps Even Super Special in our
Own Unique Ways too; Hehe, At Least that's

What Folks tell me Around the World; i am

an Extraordinary

Man of Love

More Like

The Good Cop Jesus
Version in the Bible;

As i Find it Overall Disgusting

As Far As What is Love and What
is Not Love in my Unique View of Love...

i Would Find it Very Hard Not to Chastise

The God of the Christian Bible if i met 'Them'
in 'Person'; yet i would not send them to Hell;

i would Surely

Forgive God, Not

Unlike Jesus

On the Cross
After He Asked
God 3 Times Why God Forsake Him...

Obviously, Jesus Wasn't An Only God By Saying that...

However, Disgustingly Somehow Folks Make Him A Dead

(Sugar Pill
Placebo)

Rabbit

Coming

Back Out of A Hat,

Changing the Dead Man
into Bread and Wine Literally

And Again Worshipping After
Death More Than Before, Our Life Now...

The Bible is A Book That Couldn't Possibly
Sell if Integrity in the Story was Part of the Sell...

Perhaps A Horror Story in Halloween Never Ending Trump Seasons as We've Seen...

No Different Really Than The Folks Who Ran the Roman Empire And Protected Pedophiles

at the

So-Called

Very Top of
the Bottom
of that Similar
Organization too...

As Far as Love Goes, it's Just Plain Sick...

And Considering Up to 58 Percent of the Catholic
Church Studied Within the Organization is Homosexually
Oriented; And Only a Few of the Apostles of Jesus Were Identified
As Married, Excluding the Star Paul Who Seemed to Repress All His

Sexual

Desires

if He had

Any in a Closet too...

Those Who Protest Most

Are Often the Ones Afraid of Who They Authentically Are...

Too Bad, The Catholic Church Still Hides in a Closet; too bad

They Cannot Even Be Who They Are Born to Be; And When that

Happens

SH8T

Usually
Hits the Fan
in Some way
As There Ain't

No Fooling Real
God Mother Nature

In Every Part of Nature now Wild and Free...

Mother Nature is No P.T. Barnum Despicable Foolish Minion God....

Yawn, Anyway, i'm Just Another Newer Testament to the Boston University Study... (And Others)

As It's True Some of my Work on Autism Burn-Out is Cited From my Work In Other Published Studies too...

Most of what
i Do is too Large to see

For Folks With Material Concrete,

Reductionist, Systemizing Minds...

Yet It's True. There Are Some Autistic
Folks Who Have Extraordinary Social
Empathic, Artistic, Interpretive, Spiritual

More 'Right Brain' Intelligences

too; Yes Some Folks

Identify

My

Autistic

Savant
Super Splinter Skill as Love...
Yet Only Those 'Attuned' of Course...

And Yes That's Fully Documented As Well
By Links and Quotes too on Demand of Course...

i Never Leave Home Without the Evidence As i have
Something That Original Jesus Never had the Ability

to Whip Out my Own Personal Longest EPiC Long Form
Poem All 9.8 MiLLioN Words of my Personal Written Bible through

A 6.1
Inch

iPhone XS;

True You Can Get
A Whole New 8th
New Testament

(All Million Plus
Words in 35 Pages
of Just one Very
Solo Autistically/Artistically
Inclined Philosophically,
Religiously, Politically

Described Yes, God Yes,

Now "Depth of the Story"

For Free here too Just For
The Love of Giving, Sharing,
Caring, Without Any Reference

to my

Born on

Date Sir Name

That By the Way of Born on Name
of Frederick Actually Means Peaceful
Ruler in German, And Yes Middle
Name Arthur That Means Strong
As A 'Bear King' And My Last Name (Sir Name)
i Don't Share Online that Means Keeper of the Land...

Yet 'They' Will Know me

by my Love...

or
Not...

My Once Catholic

Priest Grandfather

From Ireland, TG,

Was Smart Enough to
Break the Rules so i Could Exist...

True, i Come From A Long Line of Rule Breakers

indeed...

As We
All do

to even exist...

In A Individual
World of Love (Heaven) or not...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7313636/

https://escholarship.org/content/qt6zh3j3pr/qt6zh3j3pr_noSplash_45688aea088dae92fc3c0777d699502e.pdf?t=op2ljt

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 22 Oct 2021, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:22 am

Fnord wrote:
Following everything Jesus said -- including the things He said about Himself -- in His "Sermon On The Mount" (e.g., Matthew 5:1 to 7:29) is 99% of what any Christian really needs.

The rest is also important, as long as its interpretation does not conflict with what Jesus taught; so the next time some "Christian" preacher tries to tell you to hate other people (i.e., immigrants, Jews, leftists, Muslims, "People of Color", women, and those who are LGBTQ+), walk away and do not look back.

I agree.
But, I also in 30+ years of being involved in church, have found this very rare to nonexistent. Unfortunately it is how many have painted as the primary characteristic of Christianity. There are the weird outliers such as the Hillsboro Baptist Church, but that is more of a dysfunctional family than an actual congregation. I for one would like to find out who funds them.
Hating those who are not like you is not what Jesus taught and it isn't a part of his church. It is how many today wish to present Christianity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:27 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Following everything Jesus said -- including the things He said about Himself -- in His "Sermon On The Mount" (e.g., Matthew 5:1 to 7:29) is 99% of what any Christian really needs.  The rest is also important, as long as its interpretation does not conflict with what Jesus taught; so the next time some "Christian" preacher tries to tell you to hate other people (i.e., immigrants, Jews, leftists, Muslims, "People of Color", women, and those who are LGBTQ+), walk away and do not look back.
I agree.  But, I also in 30+ years of being involved in church, have found this very rare to nonexistent. Unfortunately it is how many have painted as the primary characteristic of Christianity.  There are the weird outliers such as the Hillsboro Baptist Church, but that is more of a dysfunctional family than an actual congregation.  I for one would like to find out who funds them.  Hating those who are not like you is not what Jesus taught and it isn't a part of his church.  It is how many today wish to present Christianity.
When preachers use the pronouns "I", "Me", and "Mine" (meaning themselves) more often than they use the pronouns "He", "Him", and "His" (meaning Jesus), I have to wonder if they have already grown tired of teaching from the Bible and started teaching their own subjective bigotry as the Word of G^D.

I feel blessed to have attended churches where the Word of G^D is taught, and where the pastors insist that the church members check the the pastors' teachings against what the Bible says, and to correct the pastors when there is a conflict.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:26 am

A New Preacher Coming to Pastor A Large
Southern Baptist Congregation of a Church

Did A Test First. He Arrived Dressed As 'Poor Dad
Jesus', The One Who Dressed With Empty Pockets...

The One Who Convinced Those to Follow Him to
Sell All They Owned And Live Collectively off the Kindness of Others...

The Results Were As Predictable As What Paul Wrote into His Teachings

too, Per the Good Cop Jesus Who relates instructions of Gentile, Jew, Servant or
Free, Woman And or Man No More; In Other Words, Love is Not a Label Alone; Love is the

Essence Within

The Shape

of Water

We Give

to Others

As Giving Is

Receiving As Air

Is The Wind That Fills

Sails of Ships That Sail An Ocean of Love
With Fair Winds And Following Seas this way...

However, Paul Also Says Don't Sit Next to the So-Called
Sinner At Church; Two Versions of Jesus in One Story...

Meanwhile, the Folks in the Congregation Were Counting
Their Pocket Change Under Their Breath For How Well They
Accomplished the Protestant Work Ethic All Week Long So of Course

No Body Wanted

To Sit Next

to "Poor Dad

Jesus", in Fact, They
Ignored Him Like the Plague.
(Too Bad they don't Have Enough
Common Sense And Love For Their
Neighbor to Social Distance and Mask
And Yes Vaccinate Otherwise Endangering The Vulnerable
Children Most too Without even an Opportunity to Be Vaccinated.)

And It's True, "Poor Dad Jesus" in this Case Returns Pastoring Nicely Groomed
In Suit and Tie With Baskets Capable of Being Filled Up With Money; Yes, Properly

Chastising

The Congregation For Treating "Poor Dad Jesus" Like Gum on Their Shoes
And at Least "Poor Dad Jesus" Wasn't So Empty of Mercy And Forgiveness Where

He Didn't Change

The Congregation

Into Goats From Sheep

And Burn Them Forever As

Promised By Another Version of Matthew too
Who Suddenly Forgets All About the Beatitudes

(All Forgiving Enemies Loving Them Full of Eternal Mercy)

When he Changes From Dr. Jekyll Jesus Into Jack the Ripper
And Hannibal The Cannibal Jesus Torturing His Own Children
Forevermore in Fires Burning of Hell; Seriously 'THAT BOOK iS iN NEED

OF MAJOR

F iN
ReViSiON'

Hmm...
Just Hmm...

Crazy A88 CR8P

In Life That Makes
Ya Go Hmm... Just Hmm...

Anyway, The Cohen Brother's Already
Did A Fine Theatrical Spoof on How

A Mix of Jesus And Buddha Would
Be Received if He Came Again With Empty Pockets...

The 'Big Lebowski' is the God Not Unlike Trump Who
Rules the Church in this Country Most of All as the Evidence

Clearly

More than

Ever Modernly Shows Now...

It Would Be Nice if the Good
Cop Jesus Could Actually be Real too...

Hmm... STUFF iN
Life that Just

Makes Ya Go
Hmm... Just Hmm...

Fortunately, the Younger
Generations are No Longer

Limited to Just one Rotten
And Fresh Mixed Pie of God...

Anyone With Common Sense Can
And Will See that the Republican Modern
House And Senate Did the Final Edits on

the Bible then too...

Led by Someone
Like Some Pope

or Some Trump

Same

Demagogue

Different Age Similar Empty Headed Souls...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:18 am

QFT wrote:
By the way, if you are going to present arguments how religion is irrational or how its irrational to refuse vaccines, this wouldn't answer my question. My question is NOT "why some people are atheists and vaccinate" rather my question IS "why is being an atheist and choosing to vaccinate correlates with being an aspie". See what I am getting at? So here is a given: some people are devoted Christian and refuse to vaccinate. THE QUESTION IS: why are those people overwhelmingly NT?

Okay so I'm gonna ignore the rest of the post and focus on this question of

Quote:
"why is being an atheist and choosing to vaccinate correlates with being an aspie"

Atheists usually believe in science and what has been scientifically proven, and the vaccines being useful is one of such things, so an atheist wanting to get vaccinated makes sense. As for why these two things correlate with being an aspie, well, at least the stereotype is that we like to know why things are done in a certain way, and when it comes to science, it can usually explain things well, making believing in to the results it gives more appealing in comparison to something an old book or an old man down town says.

Quote:
So here is a given: some people are devoted Christian and refuse to vaccinate. THE QUESTION IS: why are those people overwhelmingly NT?

Because NTs are more likely to follow what the community they live in says than aspies? Be it because they actually think the group knows the best or social pressure, the result will be the same. If everyone someone trusts says "don't take the vaccine", one is far less likely to take it than if the people around them didn't care either way. That said, since those on the spectrum have difficulties forming bonds with others, we might be less likely to have people who we trust blindly or at least have less of them, so we're also less likely to have someone who's against vaccines on our list of close people.

Of course, these are just conclusions that I've drawn from what I know of those on the spectrum and NTs and I don't have any scientific research to show that would really prove my theory, so... I guess it comes down to if what I wrote makes sense to people or not and if they agree with it or not.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Christians sometimes believe that only Christians can be “religious” for some reason.

Don’t forget about the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Animists, etc. Yes, I find people who practice “tribal” religions are religious, too.

Okay then the question I wanted to ask was "how come Aspies usually aren't Christians". The fact that the ones that "are" religious often choose those other religions instead of Christianity is the other thing I am wondering about too.

Again, simply telling me ways in which those religions are better won't answer this question since my question is what makes Aspie statistics different from NT one. How come among religions NT-s there is far greater proportion of Christians than among religious aspies?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 11:21 am

QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Okay then the question I wanted to ask was "how come Aspies usually aren't Christians". The fact that the ones that "are" religious often choose those other religions instead of Christianity is the other thing I am wondering about too.

Again, simply telling me ways in which those religions are better won't answer this question since my question is what makes Aspie statistics different from NT one. How come among religions NT-s there is far greater proportion of Christians than among religious aspies?

Perhaps NTs are more prone to following the crowd, making them more likely to accept whatever the dominant religion is without much thought about it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm

There happen to be plenty of autistic Christians on WP. And in PPR.

I live in NYC, where there are lots of NT and autistic atheists—but plenty of Christians, too.

WP is a microcosm of the greater society.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm

I professed Christ for about ten years. Started as an altar boy in the Anglican church. Became 'born again' in 83. Bible college in 85, 86, and 89.

Then converted OUT of Christianity. Why?

Because Christianity, like any religion, has 'Core' doctrines. And I came to disagree with some of those core doctrines, and some common (though not core) doctrines.

One god? Even the Old Testament accepted the existence of other gods. Pre-Babylonian captivity period, the Jews were henotheists (devotion to one god while accepting the existence of others), and didn't become monotheists until being exposed to Zoroastrianism during their captivity. I found myself wondering why One God from a postage sized piece of sand in the middle east should be the only god, and all the rest of the world's religions were wrong. I rejected that idea.

And I didn't care much for how they kept criticizing gays. I knew a few, and knew they didn't deserve the negative attention they got from Christians.

Could I go back? Wouldn't want to, but even if I entertained the idea, I wouldn't get past the fact that it's essentially one person in a stadium surrounded by a thousand others, yelling that said person's views and opinions are the only truth, and everyone else is either evil, deluded, or non-existent.