Would you pair up with someone just for status?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:19 pm

Would you date or settle down with someone you didn't really love if they made you look better in the eyes of your family and peers?

Someone said in another thread that they would knock someone back because they would make them look bad, but what about the opposite?

Me, I wouldn't. I'm not really that bothered about what others think. I would rather be happy.

Last edited by hurtloam on 30 Oct 2021, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm

No I wouldn't. That sounds like a nightmare to me! :skull:

In all honesty I have a hard enough time in relationships even when I love the person.

I can't imagine doing it to impress someone else, or to use the other person.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:26 pm

No. Whether I'd date someone depends entirely on whether I'm interested in dating them. What other people think isn't going to influence me either way.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:33 pm

How much status are we talking here? Because spouse of a celebrity, probably not. Imperial Consort... I might need to consider it. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:34 pm

Happiness is more important than status.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
How much status are we talking here? Because spouse of a celebrity, probably not. Imperial Consort... I might need to consider it. :nerdy:

Oh I just mean some boring NT type who thinks they need an SUV and a house decorated with the latest trends. Latest nails, latest hair cut, latest clothes.

It depends on your social circle I guess. I was going to say someone with a fancy car, not someone who cycles everywhere, but in some circles the environmental middle class vegans in outdoor gear is the in thing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:54 pm

hurtloam wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Oh I just mean some boring NT type who thinks they need an SUV and a house decorated with the latest trends. Latest nails, latest hair cut, latest clothes.

It depends on your social circle I guess. I was going to say someone with a fancy car, not someone who cycles everywhere, but in some circles the environmental middle class vegans in outdoor gear is the in thing.

I guess I don't even conceive of that stuff as signs of status. I might be pretty out-of-touch on those sortsa things.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 1:09 pm

Probably not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Would you pair up with someone just for status?
Not as a date or a spouse, but as a business partner for career advancement purposes only.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 1:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Would you date or settle down with someone you didn't really love if they made you look better in the eyes of your family and peers?

Someone said in another thread that they would knock someone back because they would make them look bad, but what about the opposite?

Me, I wouldn't. I'm not really that bothered about what others think. I would rather be happy.

God no.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 1:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I guess I don't even conceive of that stuff as signs of status. I might be pretty out-of-touch on those sortsa things.

Well, most people don't usually have the opportunity to date a celebrity or a royal. Lol.

I just mean, if you're an aspie outsider would you want someone who brings you into the normy fold.

Some people have families that care about this stuff. My parents are cool, but my aunt really doesn't get me. She's always been pushing me to settle down, get a better job etc. With the right guy, I could pretend to be normal.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 2:33 pm

Aunts….

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 2:40 pm

I certainly wouldn’t. I want to be of equal “status” with my lover.

I probably could have romanced a judge…..but I decided not to pursue the matter.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

^ Imagine you’re foreplaying with someone wearing a tie wig.

*shivers*

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 3:04 pm

No, because status is really not that important to me. In fact it probably would put me off. Plus I could not live up to the other person’s expectations.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 3:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Same ^^^

I don't think I even have enough social awareness to be capable of identifying these sort of folks.

The sorts I choose are always because I enjoy their company, and then eventually find the thought of bedding them pleasurable.

But i am a freak, that's one of the reasons I come here (wp) :lol: