Is Taxing Large Companies A Form Of Double Taxation

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:55 pm

First I would classify myself as a liberal. I do believe in universal healthcare (your last concern if you are sick should not be "can I afford to go to the doctor?") I also feel taxing corporations is detrimental. The corporations have numerous employees who pay taxes. If anything I could go along with corporations being taxed at a certain rate and what all their employees pay in taxes should go against that amount. Corporations should have to make up the difference. What are your thoughts on this?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:40 am

Short answer: No, it is not double taxation.

Tax is based on income in this regard. The tax that the employees pay is the tax related to their personal income. The tax is related to the individual, not the company. The individual pays it, on the individual's behalf. It is the individual's income, not the company's.

Wages are deducted from revenue as part of establishing income, and are not taxed as part of the company's income. Wages represent the income of the individual, therefore the taxes collected on that income represent taxes collected related to the income of the INDIVIDUAL, not the COMPANY. Money that the company has left over after paying it's wages rent bills etc is the company's income, and that's what they're taxed on.

In order for it to be double taxation, the company would have to be taxed on the money BEFORE wages were paid, AND collect taxes on the wages themselves. But since the wages are deducted (among other things) from the amount being taxed from the company, they are not in fact being double-taxed.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2021, 7:43 am

I don’t generally speaking object to “double taxation”, as long as people aren’t literally being taxed on taxes. Income tax and sales tax can comfortably co-exist, for example.

That said, yes, corporation tax is a regressive tax which is effectively largely paid by workers, rather than by the sorts of people who “corporation tax” conjures an image of. It should be abolished.