Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 10:39 am

I had an epiphany: I am extremely aromantic.

I do feel attraction toward (in my case) the opposite sex, at times, but I never reach a level of mental care to fall in love with one of them, I barely would care.

Even when I got cheated once, I was hurt because I felt tricked, but not because I loved her; one of her justifications that she never felt I loved her (or loved anyone romantically for that matter).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 10:53 pm

I’m a romantic…..but I haven’t “fallen in love” too many times.

With the vast majority of my sexual partners, I felt varying degrees of regard, caring, and admiration….but only “loved” a couple of them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 1:08 am

I read that as "I am extremely Aromatic"

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 2:45 am

cyberdad wrote:

Same. :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 4:57 am

"I believe some day we'll live in a world without love" - David Byrne. Aspie.

avantguardian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Nov 2021, 5:15 am

you're lucky. I wish I could be too, but instead I'm stuck with experiencing it vicariously through Disney fairytales and the like and fantasizing about what could be and could have been if I wasn't so stunted socially and in my ability to connect to people emotionally.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 5:26 am

cyberdad wrote:

As a dead blob fish, I doubt that :p.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Nov 2021, 9:04 am

There seems to be a bit of confusion on various sites about the term aromantic. Some people use the term to mean similar stuff as Boo as in not desiring a romantic relationship. However others use the term aromantic to mean someone who does not like romantic gestures like someone who doesn't like date nights, doesn't like buying or receiving flowers, doesn't like going to romantic movies, doesn't like scavenger hunts with their partner, & doesn't like making out in public. Basically aromantic can mean someone who likes being in a romantic relationship but hates all the romantic fluff that's in chick-flicks & Disney fairy-tales. I majorly LOVE the 3 romantic partners I had & being in a serious relationship but I don't like performing romantic gestures outside of being very physically & verbally affectionate with my partner minus the kissing stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:14 am

I think of "aromantic" as just that-----not desiring romance at all. Not desiring a physically-intimate relationship with a person.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:18 am

DuckHairback wrote:
"I believe some day we'll live in a world without love" - David Byrne. Aspie.

You dont want that. It'd be a world filled with Richard Kuklinskis. love is what makes us human.

I suspected Byrne was asperger. I was getting into Talking Heads for a moment. Intrigued by the music videos. Checking out everything they did (as I do when i'm into a musical act). His interviews gave it away. I have a sixth sense when it comes to spotting people on the 'spectrum'.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 6:21 am

nick007 wrote:
There seems to be a bit of confusion on various sites about the term aromantic. Some people use the term to mean similar stuff as Boo as in not desiring a romantic relationship. However others use the term aromantic to mean someone who does not like romantic gestures like someone who doesn't like date nights, doesn't like buying or receiving flowers, doesn't like going to romantic movies, doesn't like scavenger hunts with their partner, & doesn't like making out in public. Basically aromantic can mean someone who likes being in a romantic relationship but hates all the romantic fluff that's in chick-flicks & Disney fairy-tales. I majorly LOVE the 3 romantic partners I had & being in a serious relationship but I don't like performing romantic gestures outside of being very physically & verbally affectionate with my partner minus the kissing stuff.

Right, "romantic" is an ambiguous term. I can be anything from aromantic to very romantic depending on precisely how you define "romantic."

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 6:29 am

I think that most British men would relate to feel aromantic. It's not in our culture to display affection openly.

My friend was saying the way her husband shows affection is to play rough housing style with the children. But he's not huggy.

Italians on the other hand may be a bit more demonstrative. That's more their culture. I remember a friend telling me that their Italian friend thought men over here were shockingly bad at displays of affection. Buy your wife some flowers at least, he said to him shaking his head.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Nov 2021, 7:10 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Right, "romantic" is an ambiguous term. I can be anything from aromantic to very romantic depending on precisely how you define "romantic."
The people on this site usually mean it the way Boo does but I need to pay attention to the context a bit when I see it used on other sites.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition