Mass Casualties Astroworld Music Fest Houston

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Even if he didn't incite, he didn't stop the show or allow the crowd to disperse safely.

Live Nation's been sued many times before for violation of safety laws.

Was just watching interviews with fans. General consensus is that greedy promoters oversubscribed and sold more tickets than capacity. There were 1500 police at the concert (one of the largest in US history) and even they couldn't control the crowd.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:39 pm

Are there not any Covid laws at all in America now?

It's all just unbelievable to me that they even had a festival during Covid.

On top of all the hype, fans must have been desperate for entertainment -- leading to disaster.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:19 pm

Seems to be conflation of multiple issues after this tragedy. Not mentioned are random attacks on festival goers by people with syringes injecting opioids.

COVID may well have been a factor, in order to reopen live concerts/music festivals the promoters wanted to make a bucketload of money so over subscribed tickets knowing Travis Scott is a big enough drawcard.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:21 pm

https://technotrenz.com/news/kyle-green ... 82433.html

Kyle Green is a young man who was paralysed at a Travis Scott show in 2017, when Scott urged fans to push him from a balcony.

Quote:
At the Trаvis Scott festivаl four yeаrs аgo, а witness sаw “terror in every eye.” Scott wаs seen encourаging а different fаn to drop down from the second-floor bаlcony into the crowd below him. “I see you, but аre you going to do it?” аsked the rаpper to the fаn who hаd climbed over the rаiling. “They’re going to cаtch you…” Don’t be аfrаid. Don’t be аfrаid! ”

At the 2017 concert, Green sаid he wаs pushed over the edge of а rаiling. Green broke severаl bones, including the vertebrаe, in the аccident, аccording to а lаwsuit filed six months lаter in 2017. Show personnel then drаgged him off the floor “without а cervicаl collаr, bаckboаrd, or other sаfety precаutions.”

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
https://technotrenz.com/news/kyle-green-who-is-he-a-man-was-paralyzed-for-the-rest-of-his-life-after-the-chaos-at-a-travis-scott-concert-in-2017-1282433.html

Kyle Green is a young man who was paralysed at a Travis Scott show in 2017, when Scott urged fans to push him from a balcony.

Quote:
At the Trаvis Scott festivаl four yeаrs аgo, а witness sаw “terror in every eye.” Scott wаs seen encourаging а different fаn to drop down from the second-floor bаlcony into the crowd below him. “I see you, but аre you going to do it?” аsked the rаpper to the fаn who hаd climbed over the rаiling. “They’re going to cаtch you…” Don’t be аfrаid. Don’t be аfrаid! ”

At the 2017 concert, Green sаid he wаs pushed over the edge of а rаiling. Green broke severаl bones, including the vertebrаe, in the аccident, аccording to а lаwsuit filed six months lаter in 2017. Show personnel then drаgged him off the floor “without а cervicаl collаr, bаckboаrd, or other sаfety precаutions.”

Yes apparently history repeating itself. Scott dropped his shoe into the crowd and it was picked up by a kid. He encouraged the crowd to beat the kid up! he's got a track record.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:28 pm

I think we must be watching the same podcast about it right now. I just heard that too.

Who the hell is this fool?

He looks like a lame-assed performer. He stands there like a frightened zombie when he sings.

I just don't get it. I've never even heard of him before.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
COVID may well have been a factor, in order to reopen live concerts/music festivals the promoters wanted to make a bucketload of money so over subscribed tickets knowing Travis Scott is a big enough drawcard.

I go to a LOT of big concerts but they're always indoors with reserved seating. Most of them are Live Nation events. They can't oversell beyond the first 30 seconds tickets are on sale, because then they go to resale scalpers for 20x the price.

I've never done outdoor shows or general admission. I don't think GA is even allowed here anymore except for smaller pubs and nightclubs that have maximum occupancy limits. Even those aren't operating right now because of Covid.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I think we must be watching the same podcast about it right now. I just heard that too.

Who the hell is this fool?

He looks like a lame-assed performer. He stands there like a frightened zombie when he sings.

I just don't get it. I've never even heard of him before.

My understanding is that he's an alternative rapper who isn't universally liked by mainstream rap fans. He's into hallucinatory drugs and flirts with demonic imagery/culture. When you have young impressionable kids who look up to him it creates a dangerous subculture.

People said the same thing about Marilyn Manson back in the 1990s, his fans told everybody to leave them alone. Turned out Manson was also a creep.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I go to a LOT of big concerts but they're always indoors with reserved seating. Most of them are Live Nation events. They can't oversell beyond the first 30 seconds tickets are on sale, because then they go to resale scalpers for 20x the price.

I've never done outdoor shows or general admission. I don't think GA is even allowed here anymore except for smaller pubs and nightclubs that have maximum occupancy limits. Even those aren't operating right now because of Covid.

Yep you are right. This is an outdoor music festival. Perhaps they were able to skirt COVID rules (Some of the kids claim that the security weren't doing COVID checks despite signs and QR codes).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

On top of all the hype, fans must have been desperate for entertainment -- leading to disaster.

This is Texas, no mask or vax mandates. About half the population is vaxed, though.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm

I don't think the genre can be blamed though. There are lots of metal / grind core / punk bands with demonic imagery and a drug culture. I've seen mosh pits and crowd surfing. That's totally different from some idiot urging the crowd to stampede, or be pushed to paralysis. This seems to be about Live Nation's poor management, a lack of medics, and most importantly the performer(s) being total tools.

Considering he's been charged before for endangering his fans, I hope he goes to jail and they throw away the key.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

This is Texas, no mask or vax mandates. About half the population is vaxed, though.

Thanks for the input.

I'm so shocked because where I am, we can't even go to the cinema or use shopping malls.

Everyone is in masks, if not two.

We had the longest lockdown in the world.

The imagery of people being so close together seemed and still seems surreal to me, like it's a movie.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

It's Texas. Their COVID-19 laws are mostly anti-restriction laws, prohibiting requiring face masks, etc.

I heard somewhere that attendees were supposed to have proof of vaccination to be admitted. Of course, the over-sell of vaccination as a passport to being able to return to normal is a whole other topic (vaccination is an essential step, but it was a mistake to pretend it was an end-game in order to increase vaccination rates).

If people are vaccinated, outdoors, and moving around and/or spaced it really should be safe. But obviously a mosh pit can't meet the time and space variable in the formula.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 10:51 pm

Speaking of moshpits, these dudes who gave the most accurate description I've seen of what happened

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 11:54 pm

Stef always takes the words out of my mouth.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:14 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think the genre can be blamed though. There are lots of metal / grind core / punk bands with demonic imagery and a drug culture. I've seen mosh pits and crowd surfing. That's totally different from some idiot urging the crowd to stampede, or be pushed to paralysis. This seems to be about Live Nation's poor management, a lack of medics, and most importantly the performer(s) being total tools.

Considering he's been charged before for endangering his fans, I hope he goes to jail and they throw away the key.

Agreed. He needs to face some consequences for those kids. If you watch the video I posted the big guy in the video makes a lot of sense. He says the mosh pit culture people help each other out in the pit. In this concert Travis's fans seem to be deliberately trampling over people who were passed out.