Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 10:26 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Bill was trying to be funny, playing off “fighting over the man.” Or is there a joke on a joke I’m missing here?

No, I've just been working really hard here to get him to see a particular point about confirmation bias, and this is so clear cut.

It might be hard to comprehend, but there will always be those of us who disagree with you, which includes me.
Beware of hubris, Dox, beware of hubris.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 10:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
It even goes over Dox's head, even though another member shared with me how he denigrates more low functioning Aspies.

I don't denigrate them, I've pointed out how they need to be treated separately from HFA people, as it's virtually a different disorder at the poles, not that I'm surprised you would try and smear me like that. I'm the one here who put a lot of time and money into trying to help other Aspies, and I've been frank about the difficulties we encountered, including trying to accommodate lower functioning people in a group that was created for high functioning support, I'm not going to sugarcoat things but I've also never denigrated anyone for being low functioning.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 10:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
It might be hard to comprehend, but there will always be those of us who disagree with you, which includes me.

As difficult as it is for you to imagine, I don't care whether you disagree with me on politics, I care that you approach these arguments dishonestly and with no regard for anything but "winning", no matter the cost. Notice that I treat other posters who disagree with me very differently than you, including DW in this thread, even though I disagree with her about as much as I do you. You're not an honest participant, so I don't treat you like one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 10:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

As difficult as it is for you to imagine, I don't care whether you disagree with me on politics, I care that you approach these arguments dishonestly and with no regard for anything but "winning", no matter the cost. Notice that I treat other posters who disagree with me very differently than you, including DW in this thread, even though I disagree with her about as much as I do you. You're not an honest participant, so I don't treat you like one.

I am very honest in what I consider to be right and true. I think you've allowed your personal umbrage against me to color any of your responses.
The fact that you continue to respond to me says you do care.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 11:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Bill was trying to be funny, playing off “fighting over the man.” Or is there a joke on a joke I’m missing here?

No, I've just been working really hard here to get him to see a particular point about confirmation bias, and this is so clear cut.

The one sentence really was just a joke, though, triggered very specifically by how I worded my post. Separate from the broader argument you two have.

I feel bad that comments both of you seem to be making because you think I will appreciate them are being taken out of context by the other and prolonging the fight.

Kraichguaer did pretty much write earlier that his level of trust is influenced by what he knows of an author’s politics. That is a choice.

I believe in trying to separate the two, and I know you do, too. Despite your negative comments about the author who wrote the opinion piece, I can see that you’ve separated the author from the content. I tired to point that out when the challenge first came up, but I guess I didn’t word it well enough.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 1:02 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichguaer did pretty much write earlier that his level of trust is influenced by what he knows of an author’s politics. That is a choice.

I believe in trying to separate the two, and I know you do, too. Despite your negative comments about the author who wrote the opinion piece, I can see that you’ve separated the author from the content. I tired to point that out when the challenge first came up, but I guess I didn’t word it well enough.

That's actually part of why I jumped on this example, as I know Kraichgauer is no fan of Neo-Cons, and I was hoping to introduce a little dissonance, that equating trust to politics leaves you open to being manipulated by people who claim to be part of your tribe, but you can see how that's working out. Maybe he'll get it if Trump switches teams again? The guy did spend most of his life as a Democrat after all, nothing would surprise me with him.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that this piece is wrong because I think this guy is a con artist, I'm just pointing that out for general knowledge, the piece should be judged on it's own merits. I have quite a few pundits who I follow that have one or two areas where they're really good, and then you have to sort of ignore them when they go off the reservation in other places, that took me a while to learn, that you can't just disqualify someone across the board because they have one bad idea or bad take, you have to look at it like you would a surgeon talking about economics, just because he can't balance his checkbook doesn't mean he doesn't know how to perform a proper operation.

Boot though is a bit of a special case that we saw a number of during the Trump years, long time "conservatives" changing every single one of their supposedly sacred beliefs overnight in order to get in on the #Resistance money, the most well known being the whole Lincoln Project thing I've previously mentioned. It's not that he can't ever be right about anything, but you should always keep in mind that he has a finger in the political wind, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 1:32 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

That's actually part of why I jumped on this example, as I know Kraichgauer is no fan of Neo-Cons, and I was hoping to introduce a little dissonance, that equating trust to politics leaves you open to being manipulated by people who claim to be part of your tribe, but you can see how that's working out. Maybe he'll get it if Trump switches teams again? The guy did spend most of his life as a Democrat after all, nothing would surprise me with him.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that this piece is wrong because I think this guy is a con artist, I'm just pointing that out for general knowledge, the piece should be judged on it's own merits. I have quite a few pundits who I follow that have one or two areas where they're really good, and then you have to sort of ignore them when they go off the reservation in other places, that took me a while to learn, that you can't just disqualify someone across the board because they have one bad idea or bad take, you have to look at it like you would a surgeon talking about economics, just because he can't balance his checkbook doesn't mean he doesn't know how to perform a proper operation.

Boot though is a bit of a special case that we saw a number of during the Trump years, long time "conservatives" changing every single one of their supposedly sacred beliefs overnight in order to get in on the #Resistance money, the most well known being the whole Lincoln Project thing I've previously mentioned. It's not that he can't ever be right about anything, but you should always keep in mind that he has a finger in the political wind, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

As for Trump having been a Democrat: he had for all his life wanted to be part of the Manhattan crowd of elites, even though he was never seen as anything more than a redneck from Queens. He tried to emulate their liberalism, till he found he could gain advantage by living up to the conservatism that he had been brought up with.
I don't know if Boot is playing the opposite of Trump at the moment, but for the time being I like what he's saying.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 1:39 am

Dox47 wrote:
I've been frank about the difficulties we encountered, including trying to accommodate lower functioning people in a group that was created for high functioning support, I'm not going to sugarcoat things but I've also never denigrated anyone for being low functioning.

(off topic but) I don't think you are aware but your comments about HFA Vs LFA comes off as offensive.

Some 10 years ago I networked with a very high functioning Aspie (he runs his own consultancy firm) pointing out how it's important that higher functioning aspies need to form networks and he wanted to mentor and help "smart" aspies make use of their potential. Sounded good to me. He put a notice in a local autism website volunteering to mentor folks looking for graduate employment.

But over time found he did the same thing as you, he was disappointed because all of the young people seeking his help were "too low functioning for him" and while he felt sorry for them he didn't want to waste his time as he claimed they were too low functioning for his standards and would never get a job. While he may have been right, the way he dismissed them came across as a little dehumanising to me.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 2:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
(off topic but) I don't think you are aware but your comments about HFA Vs LFA comes off as offensive.

Oh, I am, and in the past I tried to be more circumspect about it, but we are a blunt people, and I found that subtlety was not getting the desired effect. Keep in mind, I'm not going out of my way to put people down, I'm not shouting "LFAs SUCK!! !" at random, when that has come up it has been in the context of offering advice to people who are trying to organize AS support groups, and me telling them how that went when I did it, and what worked and what didn't, I'm trying to help them do better than I did. I'm even acutely aware that this provides a vulnerability for my many enemies here to try and exploit, but I do it anyway because I do have some unique experience in this area, I've actually spoken at meetings for AS doctors regarding this.

cyberdad wrote:
But over time found he did the same thing as you, he was disappointed because all of the young people seeking his help were "too low functioning for him" and while he felt sorry for them he didn't want to waste his time as he claimed they were too low functioning for his standards and would never get a job. While he may have been right, the way he dismissed them came across as a little dehumanising to me.

So, would it be fair to say that you're not objecting to the conclusion, but rather how it's presented? Like I said above, I was coy at first because I know this is a sensitive topic, but people didn't seem to get what I was hinting at, so I've become more matter of fact about it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 2:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
As for Trump having been a Democrat: he had for all his life wanted to be part of the Manhattan crowd of elites, even though he was never seen as anything more than a redneck from Queens. He tried to emulate their liberalism, till he found he could gain advantage by living up to the conservatism that he had been brought up with.

This is perfect. Okay, if you were a Republican in 2016, would you have trusted Donald Trump because he was claiming to be one of you now, despite his lifetime sucking up to Democrats? This question is all I've been trying to get at here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 2:47 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

This is perfect. Okay, if you were a Republican in 2016, would you have trusted Donald Trump because he was claiming to be one of you now, despite his lifetime sucking up to Democrats? This question is all I've been trying to get at here.

In fact, Trump had been running against the Democrats prior to 2016. That year he chose to stay for the whole election, rather than bailing out after garnering a modicum of attention.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 2:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
In fact, Trump had been running against the Democrats prior to 2016. That year he chose to stay for the whole election, rather than bailing out after garnering a modicum of attention.

I know, but imagine you're a conservative, and this guy, with his long track record of being a Democrat even if only in name, suddenly shows up and tells you he's a conservative too, and you should trust him; do you?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:01 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I know, but imagine you're a conservative, and this guy, with his long track record of being a Democrat even if only in name, suddenly shows up and tells you he's a conservative too, and you should trust him; do you?

The people who I met personally who voted for Trump were enamored with him being such a "successful businessman." Don't ever underestimate the right's worship of perceived business success.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Oh, I am, and in the past I tried to be more circumspect about it, but we are a blunt people, and I found that subtlety was not getting the desired effect. Keep in mind, I'm not going out of my way to put people down, I'm not shouting "LFAs SUCK!! !" at random, when that has come up it has been in the context of offering advice to people who are trying to organize AS support groups, and me telling them how that went when I did it, and what worked and what didn't, I'm trying to help them do better than I did. I'm even acutely aware that this provides a vulnerability for my many enemies here to try and exploit, but I do it anyway because I do have some unique experience in this area, I've actually spoken at meetings for AS doctors regarding this.

cyberdad wrote:

So, would it be fair to say that you're not objecting to the conclusion, but rather how it's presented? Like I said above, I was coy at first because I know this is a sensitive topic, but people didn't seem to get what I was hinting at, so I've become more matter of fact about it.

Yeah it's the packaging not the content. I think you mentioned you did this in another thread and I respect your commitment to do this.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

To some extent he and Bannon must have been shocked how easily they suckered republicans

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 3:29 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yeah it's the packaging not the content. I think you mentioned you did this in another thread and I respect your commitment to do this.

Cool, thanks. It was both a wild ride and a bit heartbreaking, everyone agrees that there's this need for support groups and networks and such, but people try to do them on a volunteer basis and don't know what they're getting into or what kind of gatekeeping really needs to be done in order to make it work. I hope that the next DSM better breaks out HFA vs LFA as separate disorders, as that would reduce the confusion, though I think they would need better terminology, as the very terms high and low functioning seem to upset some people.