‘The Hill’ opinion column on identity first language

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 7:38 am

Sam Farmer wears many hats, among these father, husband, musician, computer consultant, and autism spectrum community contributor. Diagnosed later in life with Asperger’s Syndrome, he writes blogs and articles, records coaching videos, and presents at conferences, sharing stories, ideas, and insights as to how one can achieve greater happiness and success in life despite facing challenges and adversity that often interfere in these pursuits. To learn more, visit samfarmerauthor.com.

“A Long Walk Down a Winding Road: Small Steps, Challenges, & Triumphs Through an Autistic Lens” is available on Amazon and can be purchased at all major booksellers.

Autistic person' and 'person with autism' are not one and the same

Quote:
It may seem counter-intuitive that there would be any difference between these, and yet, the distinction, to many in the autism spectrum community including me, is actually quite significant. Autism is referred to as a spectrum because considerable diversity exists within our community with respect to the types of challenges we face, the levels of severity of these challenges and attitudes about the diagnosis. As such, differences of opinion are natural and understandable, as is dissent. I therefore validate those who disagree with me about there being an important distinction between "autistic person" and "person with autism".

I self-identify as an autistic person, or, put more simply, as "an autistic.” My autism profile is core to who I am, largely because I worked quite hard at accepting, and ultimately embracing, the diagnosis, knowing deep down that if I failed at my efforts at acceptance, my sense of self would remain compromised and I would never be able to find true happiness. A late diagnosis at age 40 led to a call to action and to a sense of urgency in pursuing self-acceptance in that decades of relatively low self-esteem and half-baked happiness had already gone by and all of us only have one life to live. Within a few years' time, I felt as though I had attained my goal and could finally say to myself that I love who I am and nothing can ever change that.

Back in the early '70s when I was a little shy of three years old, I was diagnosed with a learning disability in auditory processing. Autism didn't enter into the picture at the time because it wasn't being diagnosed the way it has been in more recent years. Not knowing any better, I thought of myself as "somebody with a learning disability,” and consequently, I fell into the trap of viewing it as an undesirable condition that somehow needed to be fixed. I worked hard at overcoming my need for special education as soon as possible because being a special ed student continually reminded me of the learning disability and made me feel different at a time in my life when I didn't want to feel or be looked at in this way. I often rebelled against it, most notably when I immediately and frustratingly said no to an offer to take the SAT's untimed, insisting that I be evaluated on the same terms as my peers. Not a wise decision in that my challenges with reading comprehension and my slow pace of work and information processing left the verbal portion unfinished, and by more than merely the last few questions, leading to a substandard score on a high stakes test. Little did I know, my self-unaccepting mindset was eroding self-esteem and setting me up for a life of discontent.

the DSM-5's characterization of autism, in conjunction with the reference guide's influence on literature and public discourse about the diagnosis, invites stigma, marginalization and self-deprecation.

The DSM-5's ASD diagnostic criteria are valid in the sense that the challenges that are documented are indeed challenges with which individuals across the autism spectrum contend. However, the DSM cannot dictate what autistic people's attitudes toward their diagnosis should be. It makes sense that those individuals in the community whose challenges are relatively severe are likely to view autism as a disorder or condition which hopefully will be curable someday. Conversely, there are those in the community whose challenges are relatively mild, including me, who may view the diagnosis as being integral to self-identity, as bringing not only challenges but strengths and unique attributes as well. Many of us view autism as an alternative neurology which reflects humanity's natural neurological diversity, not as a mental disorder to be fixed or cured but which instead is worthy of acceptance at the societal level as well as deep inside the autistic self. This outlook on autism exudes optimism and gives those autistics who struggle with self-esteem a goal to work toward, that of self-acceptance.

So what does all of this have to do with "person with autism" and "autistic person" not necessarily implying the same thing? It comes down to the fact that words matter, even a word like "with,” which seems so trivial on the surface but which can carry plenty of weight when used in certain contexts. Arguably, "person with autism" implies that autism is a mental disorder, as the DSM-5's ASD diagnostic criteria suggest. By contrast, "autistic person" or "an autistic" allows for autism to not be associated with a mental disorder, condition, disability or some other potentially toxic descriptor.

Words matter. Let's be cognizant of the implications of the words we use to describe something or someone, ideally while keeping decency, positivity and empathy top of mind.

A bit surprised to see this topic pop up. 5+ years ago the first/person debate was angry with all sorts of bullying language policing going on. Today for the most part a live and let live attitude prevails. I can’t recall the last time I posted about this topic. This is a good thing, it has allowed us to move on to other important issues.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 11:35 am

Unfortunately the author contradicts himself on the one hand he understands those who view their autism as a disorder and accepts their view.

On the other “words matter” and he wants and expects to be called an autistic person.

So how is anyone else expected to know which camp he or others like him sits in?

He’s someone with autism when he needs help via housing and welfare because it’s viewed as a disorder and help is given.

When he’s on Twitter presumably it’s identity politics.

Why not just use a vague description of being wired differently.

Or better still those like him to invent their own labels like the trans community did, if you don’t feel you have or want to be associated with a disorder.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:43 pm

Quote:
However, the DSM cannot dictate what autistic people's attitudes toward their diagnosis should be. It makes sense that those individuals in the community whose challenges are relatively severe are likely to view autism as a disorder or condition which hopefully will be curable someday. Conversely, there are those in the community whose challenges are relatively mild, including me, who may view the diagnosis as being integral to self-identity, as bringing not only challenges but strengths and unique attributes as well.

How about instead of speaking for them, he try actually listening? I've encountered plenty of autistic people who are significantly impaired and don't want a cure.

One of the first people to speak out against person-first language, and the author of the article "Don't Mourn for Us" that argues that curing autism would be destroying the person who is autistic, was Jim Sinclair, who also didn't speak until they were 12 years old, and before getting an assistance dog as an adult, would regularly get lost or walk into the street when trying to go for a walk. I don't think being unable to speak until adolescence and needing an assistance dog to avoid being hit by a car are "mild challenges".

Whether or not autistic people want a cure, in my experience, has very little correlation to how they function in everyday life. It's got more to do with their mental health and self-esteem, how they've been treated by other people and how they interpret those experiences, and so forth. I've also seen mildly affected people who want a cure because they want a significant other and blame autism for their struggles finding a partner - if you look in the "Love and Dating" forum you'll probably find someone like that pretty easily.

I feel like this illustrates the common saying: "High functioning means your struggles are ignored, low functioning means your assets are ignored". So many people would love to pretend that autistic people who like being autistic are all high functioning, and that low functioning people either don't have a voice at all or are desperate for a cure. The reality is, just like with most other disabilities, severity of impairment isn't strongly correlated to how much you enjoy life or how you view your challenges.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:49 pm

Like the Common Cold, there’s no cure for autism. Both are quite treatable, though.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 4:08 pm

Autism will always be rooted in medical disorder, which unlocks the help in the first place for those that need it
Half of autistic kids have an IQ below average, 30% are ID, (adult figures are only slightly better on average IQ) many are unable to live independently or work, there`s no escaping that fact.

So autism will never just be a natural difference any more than fragile x or Rett syndrome.

Many autistic people want to be cured, i believe a poll on WP a few years ago showed around 30%, of course they were able to use a computer, if you added the many that cant because they are ID, i bet it would be probably around half.

So the community is at an impasse because both sides are trying to claim autism is something else & one encroaches on the other

The best way forward for those that don’t want to be associated with the medical / disorder model or even autism would simply be to emulate the trans community and create a label for themselves.

While most people are not familiar with the 60 or so forms of gender most people now are familiar with terms like non binary or CIS gender. In this case these people only need one or two labels to describe themselves.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 6:09 pm

And what? :lol: Have people who calls autistics half ret*d and half insane take over on how the future of autism would go?

Please. :roll: Giving "anti medical" autistics a new label is redundant and confusing at best, and alienating at worst.
Also parents have enough power to filter the new label from their child, as much as they can instill hate towards autism before being able to decide for themselves.

The poll years ago? :lol: If it's over 10+ years old, it's practically irrelevant on the now because things changed.

As for desiring cure -- the observations are true that those who seek cure are either due to their mental health and how others treated them.

Partially because any human who are never happy with themselves will.
Partially because any human who are goaded into it and convince they needed it because of external standards -- meaning, it's not about them. This includes parents who speaks for every autistics out there. :roll:

And partially because of some form of helplessness and the human desire to overcome it. Be it proving people wrong or just for the sake of power or plain envy or outright fear of living.

The problem around autism is how autism is advertised. :lol:

This is an old issue.
In fact, it's those foreign parents who sought cure were the ones who had been encroaching opinions first.
Their then speaking adult children came later in protest, which says something. How else neurodiversity is made in the first place?
And so the dynamics are reversed.

And now in this present -- the debate is about medical consent instead of who have it worse and everything centered around suffering and facts about lifespans or quality of life.

It leads to a very strange dilemma whenever intellectual disability, mental health and minor age enters.

Know what happens when a cure is available? Adult parents would get them for their children.
And children generally do not make those decisions and are very much easily swayed. Even do so without their consent.

You, a married legal aged adult no less, can consent and have the right and capacity to.
But children under care? Adults under certain guardianship conditions? Questionable.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 7:11 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Many autistic people want to be cured, i believe a poll on WP a few years ago showed around 30%, of course they were able to use a computer, if you added the many that cant because they are ID, i bet it would be probably around half.

How do you know they'd all want a cure?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 5:21 am

"I have diabetes" " I am diabetic"
"I have autism" "I am autistic" I use these phrases and don't see why one must choose "either/or".
Each is useful in different contexts and different situations. Do what is right for you.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 8:45 am

Polls vary wildly online but there’s a hardcore of anywhere between 15-30% of computer able autistic people who would like to be cured.

Or conservatively 1 or 2 in 5 if you added those with ID and other issues who find their autism painful. So not an insignificant number.

When single gene editing comes into being as recently reported for autism I suspect fear will reduce and that figure will go up.

Autistic people have been subject to label changes for years.

Aspergers was forgotten about until 1994 then it was incorporated into Autism in 2013.

So then it became ASD level 1//2/3.

So it’s not like we are not used to label changes.

Many aspies I remember reading hated being associated with the so called “head bangers” of autism.

Many hate being associated with the medical grounding of autism and its associated negativity.

I believe the best way forward for these people is to simply copy the trans community and create their own positive label to describe themselves.

Nick Walker for example I believe calls himself a “neuro queer”.

That way the medical term is left to those that want it.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm

carlos55 wrote:

And those who have it coercively applied to them.

Doctors don't ask the nonverbal, stimmy aloof 18 month old if they want to be labeled with a disorder.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 3:26 am

Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Doctors don't ask the nonverbal, stimmy aloof 18 month old if they want to be labeled with a disorder.

I was referring to adults who reject the medical model of autism don’t feel disabled and see it as their identity.

Those who seem at war with reality, trying to pretend kids not speaking, biting themselves and smearing feces on the wall is a normal variation of the human genome rather than a neurological disorder.

Anchored to a medical name associated with various negative symptoms.

Why not just step out of the equation and call themselves something other than autistic like neurodivergent for example (already being used).

That way they leave the autism label to those who still feel they have a disorder & seek out medical interventions.

That way everyone else including NTs know where they stand. The same principal is in effect for vegans and animal products, Jehovah’s witness and blood transfusion, gay and sexuality. Muslims and alcohol.

When someone calls themselves something it already answers a lot of questions and reduces any problems caused by confusion.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 8:23 am

carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

I was referring to adults who reject the medical model of autism don’t feel disabled and see it as their identity.

Those who seem at war with reality, trying to pretend kids not speaking, biting themselves and smearing feces on the wall is a normal variation of the human genome rather than a neurological disorder.

Anchored to a medical name associated with various negative symptoms.

Why not just step out of the equation and call themselves something other than autistic like neurodivergent for example (already being used).

That way they leave the autism label to those who still feel they have a disorder & seek out medical interventions.

That way everyone else including NTs know where they stand. The same principal is in effect for vegans and animal products, Jehovah’s witness and blood transfusion, gay and sexuality. Muslims and alcohol.

When someone calls themselves something it already answers a lot of questions and reduces any problems caused by confusion.

The thing is that many of those adults were those kids. Kids grow up, and not all of them agree with their parents' views on everything.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 8:55 am

I'll say it again -- redundant and confusing.

How about I'll just define the differences then:
Pro ND autistic; favors neither medical nor social, does not deny medical but pushes social, favors positive but do not deny negatives.

Segregationist; has a clear distinction which 'side' of the spectrum they belong into -- they are either HFA or LFA, and nothing in between. LFAs favoring medical and "negatives", HFAs favoring social and "positives".
Neither are inherently positive nor negative.

Supremecist; denies medical model, believes that autism is the next step of evolution, toxic positivity.

But mostly none of these are inherently positive nor negative.

Unlike the DS kids, we're not advertised by parents as happy, requires patience and understanding to thrive, and unconditionally lovable.
The difficulties are met with sympathy on both parties -- parent and child. Child does not need to be redeemed, nor divided from functioning levels.
Parents don't attempt to foresee said child's future with doom or with suspicion that they'd commit crimes or something -- some don't just not chose to abort them -- they don't care if the child is disabled, has shorter life span and health issues. They'd choose to love this child as much as the child's time on earth, even if difficult.

Nope, we're advertised as "worse than aids and cancer combined", pities the parents and condemns us as "not human enough".
If not that, having to "redeem" ourselves as useful and talented or whatever trope characters out there these days.
Having to divide between who has traits that can "redeem" from whatever horribleness that is autism. :roll:

It could've been worse though. Like how ADHD or ADD isn't taken seriously enough.
But unlike in autism communities, there seem to be some consensus about how ADHD is treatmented and how it is approached medically no matter what side of functioning or achievement someone is.
There is no debate on consent, because being off meds is a possible option for them in adulthood if they've been taking it since childhood. The same with self medicating, really.
I don't think autism does not have this yet. But then ADHD is one of the most treatable psych conditions.
The closest divide it has over treatments are those who judge those who's being dependent on taking meds (usually stemmed from either imposter syndrome or said meds as smart drugs or 'basically meth') or assumed too much that everyone's the same.

Take models from LGBT community? I think we're past that. Well, maybe at least about to past through.
I'd say autistics would take pages from ADHD, and parents or carers learn from DS.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.