Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 4:35 pm

Another example of the Canadian way:

Quote:
So a little feel good story of the day..

There is a farmer here in Abbotsford it's written Abbott's horde that had to shoot his whole herd of cattle. It had to be done before they all drowned..

So he pretty much lost everything. Now apparently farmers in Alberta a big group of them are each donating one head each to this farmer so he can get back upon his feet and it's beef and continue making a living..

It's unfortunate that bad things have to happen before good things can happen But it's still nice to know that humanity has a heart.

Thanks Aaron Bruce for this story.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 4:53 pm

Do you think your government would let me emigrate if I promise to wear a Canucks jersey every day for the rest of my life?

:wink:

Canada sure sounds like a sweet place to live.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 5:04 pm

^^you have a college degree that is useful to canada, check. you have no major diseases, check. am guessing you got $800,000 and a viable 5-year business plan, check. no felonies or unexpunged misdemeanors, check. you're likely good to go.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 2:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^you have a college degree that is useful to canada, check. you have no major diseases, check. am guessing you got $800,000 and a viable 5-year business plan, check. no felonies or unexpunged misdemeanors, check. you're likely good to go.

Yep, probably. Money talks, Or hands on skills & plenty of working years ahead of you. Fnord would probably be admitted even if he decided to dress in an American flag every day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 3:32 pm

Plenty of Americans do things the "Canadian Way," too.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.....

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Plenty of Americans do things the "Canadian Way," too.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.....

Of course. But it’s not the way American media sells Americanism to Americans or anyone watching. It’s all “Rugged individualism or die! Single payer healthcare is for communists!” The same ol’ Billionaire propaganda that keeps regular Americans arguing about stupid s**t instead of being given the same basics as citizens of almost every other developed nation on Earth.

Whereas here due to the Corporation of Canada marking its brand image to Canadian citizens as a helpful to one another people, it’s the norm vs against the grain reaction to do things like this. It’s still propaganda, though - just different. Canada promotes its feel good brand while selling people out to the highest international bidders. That’s why it costs $1.5M to buy a house now and single earners with a $100k income cannot qualify to buy an average priced home in any Province in the country anymore. But some of the feel good propaganda.. at least feels good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:29 am

housing is unaffordable for the remnant middle class here also.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Unaffordable, yeah, but not quite to the same extremes as here.

I read an article yesterday that said that an American household with two young kids, age 4 & 2, and 2 working/earning parents needs to gross $300,000.00/year in coastal cities in order to live a middle class lifestyle that includes owning a modest house, a vehicle, and vacationing a few weeks per year.

Crazy, considering that’s Very Far from the average household income in the USA or Canada - and we’re very similarly priced here as one would be in say them San Francisco Bay Area.

Soooo, basically, those middle class lifestyle dreams are long gone. Welcome to renting single rooms, making the best form of transportation you can make work work, and not taking vacations anywhere near annually. Or having two kids lol.

*shrug* is what it is, can’t do s**t except ogle at our new Chinese overlords’ fancy cars and mansions.

Edit:

Makes me wonder if any 10-20k sf “farmhouses,” got ruined in the flooding. Maybe. I think all the ones I’ve driven passed locally have been on high enough ground that they didn’t flood - maybe not so lucky in Abbotsford.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:48 pm

I stayed in Vancouver once. I got a kick out of being able to smoke Cuban cigars.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:09 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I stayed in Vancouver once. I got a kick out of being able to smoke Cuban cigars.

Bet you’d get a bigger kick out of what else we have now.. I’ve yet to go to this place, but I have some beachy friends that I know would be down:

https://cocaleafcafe.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Unaffordable, yeah, but not quite to the same extremes as here. I read an article yesterday that said that an American household with two young kids, age 4 & 2, and 2 working/earning parents needs to gross $300,000.00/year in coastal cities in order to live a middle class lifestyle that includes owning a modest house, a vehicle, and vacationing a few weeks per year. Crazy, considering that’s Very Far from the average household income in the USA or Canada - and we’re very similarly priced here as one would be in say them San Francisco Bay Area. Soooo, basically, those middle class lifestyle dreams are long gone. Welcome to renting single rooms, making the best form of transportation you can make work work, and not taking vacations anywhere near annually. Or having two kids lol. *shrug* is what it is, can’t do s**t except ogle at our new Chinese overlords’ fancy cars and mansions. Edit: Makes me wonder if any 10-20k sf “farmhouses,” got ruined in the flooding. Maybe. I think all the ones I’ve driven passed locally have been on high enough ground that they didn’t flood - maybe not so lucky in Abbotsford.

ronnie raygun's policies set into motion the gradual dissolution of the middle class here. for the most part now there is only a broad underclass [containing the remnants of a "middle class"] and a shrinking overclass, with the top .1% living away from the rest of us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ronnie raygun's policies set into motion the gradual dissolution of the middle class here. for the most part now there is only a broad underclass [containing the remnants of a "middle class"] and a shrinking overclass, with the top .1% living away from the rest of us.

Mulroney was also a neo-lib cultist who did the same damage to Canada.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:46 pm

at least you don't have the same virulent strain of social darwinist predators rending your social safety net to the same degree.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 2:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
at least you don't have the same virulent strain of social darwinist predators rending your social safety net to the same degree.

I guess.

But instead we have predators stressing people to the max in other ways - mostly housing. People with Good paying jobs can’t find affordable or stable housing. Can’t afford to buy, rents keep increasing or evictions happen over and over - it’s causing Nurses to quit and leave, resulting in under staffed hospitals as people don’t want to commute hours/day.

While we don’t have the same problems as the USA, we sure do have problems that impact people’s lives and health.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 2:16 pm

i know canada has its problems, but i'd still rather have those problems than amuuurica's problems. even if seattle landlords allowed it [most don't] according to HUD it takes 4 typical minimum wage incomes pooled together to afford to live there.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 12:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
i know canada has its problems, but i'd still rather have those problems than amuuurica's problems. even if seattle landlords allowed it [most don't] according to HUD it takes 4 typical minimum wage incomes pooled together to afford to live there.

Same crap in Vancouver as Seattle - but worse as Vancouver is 2nd only to Hong Kong as least affordable cities on the planet and Seattle is even in the top 14 list.

One downside of living in Canada is having to have amuuurica as your basement neighbour.. :P