Venting about feeling stupid and useless

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 8:12 pm

I constantly feel stupid and like I am useless. I don't have any useful skills and it seems like I can never do anything right. Everyone in my family picks on me for not being able to match their expectations, and if I try to match them I get picked on for that, too. If I try to learn something that they want me to learn and I don't immediately pick it up they get angry at me, and if I give up because their reaction makes me feel bad about my ability to do something they also get angry at that. I'm tired of constantly being compared to my siblings + the things they've achieved, and treated like I'm not even part of my own family.

I'm at a point where I am constantly intensely depressed and I want to give up completely. I just feel like I'm only a nuisance to other people, and like I don't have any reason to stick around if everyone in my own family dislikes me that much and finds me that useless.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 12:13 pm

I feel that way a lot too. If I can find my own worth in this world, you can too. Hope you feel better!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 12:42 pm

Nobody is good at everything.

Not everyone has useful skills.

There is no functional reason to compare you to your siblings, because everyone has a different situation. There are many factors that determine your successes (or lack thereof)

Anyone could "expect" anything. Not all expectations are justified.

Not everyone always gets what they "expect".

"I don't have any reason to stick around"

Do you earn enough cash to move out?

What is preventing you from moving out?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 10:16 pm

Just because they are family does not mean the things they say or do is right. You have no duty to match their expectations either.

It is their personal failing to make you feel like you are useless. You are allowed to be lenient on yourself.