Verdict returned in Rittenhouse trial

Page 60 of 60 [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 10:01 pm

Oh sorry, I do not understand. Could you elaborate?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 10:37 pm

The DA use the felony charges to induce Black's testimony, Black had nothing to deal for immunity, all he can say is he gave him the gun (to a minor) which is what he plead no contest. After Ritt's trial, the DA dismissed the felony charges against Black. This is the most onerous crime the DA won in the entire ordeal.

What is it that you don't understand?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:14 pm

txfz1 wrote:
The DA use the felony charges to induce Black's testimony, Black had nothing to deal for immunity, all he can say is he gave him the gun (to a minor) which is what he plead no contest. After Ritt's trial, the DA dismissed the felony charges against Black. This is the most onerous crime the DA won in the entire ordeal.

I just don't see how charging someone would induce them to testify. Why would Black care to testify if he was going to be charged anyway. How would the conversation go?

DA: We're charging you, so you better testify.

Black: If you are going to charge me anyway, what difference does it make if I testify or not?

DA: No difference. You're being charged with either way.

Black: Well in that case, I don't care to testify, if it makes no difference. Charge away.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:17 pm

ironpony wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

I just don't see how charging someone would induce them to testify. Why would Black care to testify if he was going to be charged anyway. How would the conversation go?

DA: We're charging you, so you better testify.

Black: If you are going to charge me anyway, what difference does it make if I testify or not?

DA: No difference. You're being charged with either way.

Black: Well in that case, I don't care to testify, if it makes no difference. Charge away.

Are you planning to do an independent film on Rittenhouse?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:18 pm

ironpony wrote:
I just don't see how charging someone would induce them to testify.

It's leverage, they offer to downgrade or dismiss the charges in exchange for testimony. They can get really nasty with it, I've heard of deals being made to drop charges against a child or spouse in exchange for a plea, basically legal hostage taking.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:23 pm

Dox47 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
I just don't see how charging someone would induce them to testify.

It's leverage, they offer to downgrade or dismiss the charges in exchange for testimony. They can get really nasty with it, I've heard of deals being made to drop charges against a child or spouse in exchange for a plea, basically legal hostage taking.

Oh okay, but in this case, they are still charging him which means they didn't offer him anything. Why did he agree to testify with no offer is what I don't understand. Leverage only works, if you offer to give the leverage back in exchange, doesn't it?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but in this case, they are still charging him which means they didn't offer him anything. Why did he agree to testify with no offer is what I don't understand. Leverage only works, if you offer to give the leverage back in exchange, doesn't it?

They dropped the felony charges and allowed him to plead to a misdemeanor, about on the level of a traffic ticket, which was likely the deal in exchange for his testimony. They charged him with the more serious crimes to get him to cooperate, and then downgraded the charges after he did.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 12:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

They dropped the felony charges and allowed him to plead to a misdemeanor, about on the level of a traffic ticket, which was likely the deal in exchange for his testimony. They charged him with the more serious crimes to get him to cooperate, and then downgraded the charges after he did.

Oh okay, but why didn't Black get them to drop it all completely. The prosecution wanted Rittenhouse so bad that they would have likely folded?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 12:37 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but why didn't Black get them to drop it all completely. The prosecution wanted Rittenhouse so bad that they would have likely folded?

That might have been pushing his luck, I know I'd have been happy to take that deal if I were facing those charges, I wouldn't want to try and out bluff a DA with a felony conviction and a prison sentence on the line. Keep in mind, they go out of their way to frighten you, threatening you with stacked charges and consecutive sentences to terrify you into taking their deals rather than rolling the dice in court, it's one of the more shameful aspects of our legal system.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 12:38 am

That's true. Did Black lawyer up before deciding whether or not to take that deal? Was Black actually arrested and read his rights prior to being pressured like this?