Republicans attacking yet another muppet.

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:38 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
As I recall it was the triangle plus the male voice and purse. I disagree with the triangle symbolism theory. But the character did have a distinctively male voice and sometimes carried a purse. And I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask what the creators had in mind.

They wanted him to have a satchel.

I'll buy that.

It's one of those things that doesn't actually require a deeper explanation. Since the show's context never shows sexuality or orientation in any way there's no reason for adults to project that into the show. Jerry Falwell was letting his own issues out, not actually observing anything about the show.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:50 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
^
That explains it all.

I do sorta recall seeing more actual kids on the show back in the day, and now you see puppet kids, and few actual kids.

Well since it's a matter of muppets replacing human children, then the objection to them now introducing an Asian one would be, what took so long?

My guess is the person who objected in the article in the OP, is probably as out of touch with the current set-up as we are.
Mitch McConnell wants to defund NPR because they did it. Not because they "took so long to do it".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:52 am

Yep.....Sesame Street used to have a considerable amount of actual kids. Why don't they use actual kids as much today?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:57 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
As I recall it was the triangle plus the male voice and purse. I disagree with the triangle symbolism theory. But the character did have a distinctively male voice and sometimes carried a purse. And I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask what the creators had in mind.

They wanted him to have a satchel.

I'll buy that.

It's one of those things that doesn't actually require a deeper explanation. Since the show's context never shows sexuality or orientation in any way there's no reason for adults to project that into the show. Jerry Falwell was letting his own issues out, not actually observing anything about the show.

My guess is someone else came up with the idea and Falwell bought into it. I just can't picture him watching Teletubbies or knowing what it was on his own.

I remember that he recanted and there was a picture of him kissing a tinky winky doll, which was cringeworthy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.....Sesame Street used to have a considerable amount of actual kids. Why don't they use actual kids as much today?
Child labor laws.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 8:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Thats my understanding. "Sesame Street" is an urban neighborhood with a mix of residents. Some Black, some White, and some Hispanic. But none until now being Asian.

Middle American (the heartland of republican voters) caricature democrat voters as "urban" so my guess is that sesame street is never on the menu for republican/MAGA babies. Because they don't already watch it they probably don't care that its already everything that they despise
multi-racial
multi-cultural
accommodates the homeless (Oscar the grouch)
gay - Bert and Ernie
disabled - Katie

So given the MAGAs are already frothing about non-existent CRT in schools (because they don't actually know what their kids learn) its not surprising they are losing their marbles over the introduction of an Asian character. Infact I wouldn't be surprised that it was a non-issue until some GOP-Repbublican MAGA thought "hey! lets go after sesame street.

The republican party is making Racism Great again,