Long Island ER shut down - staff shortage vaccine mandate

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 6:23 pm

Mount Sinai South Nassau’s Long Beach Emergency Unit Closes After Vaccine Mandate Creates Staff Shortage

Quote:
Mount Sinai South Nassau’s emergency department in Long Beach closed Monday and will not reopen for at least a few weeks due to nursing staff shortages that resulted from the state’s Covid-19 vaccine mandate, the Oceanside-based hospital announced.

The decision to close the facility came after the New York State Department of Health’s order on Thursday to suspend hospital staff who had temporarily claimed religious exemptions from getting the vaccine and could not show proof of first dose, and those who did not present a valid medical exemption, the hospital’s news release stated. Mount Sinai South Nassau (MSSN) did not immediately respond to The Press’s request for how many nurses the hospital let go due to the mandate.

The hospital is currently recruiting new staff members who can show proof of receiving a first dose of the Covid vaccine or a valid medical exemption. It aims to reopen around Dec. 15 given the staffing shortage has been resolved.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 11:55 pm

I, personally, would prefer that each institution be allowed to determine what level of exceptions are reasonable for their unique needs and circumstances. I would want to know as a patient if my care giver was not vaccinated but I'd be OK as long as they are well masked up and taking regular testing. I will never understand why a healthcare worker would object, but it is what it is, and so many variables factor in for each individual hospital that broad mandates worry me. I understand why they exist, but optimizing important decisions is never a one-size fits all formula.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 12:26 pm

Our Primary Care is out of a rather large hospital and naturally we get most of our other medical attention there and use their pharmacy. And we are old enough we are there often.

Because it is a large hospital it has a large staff. It is not uncommon to cross paths with staff while they are going somewhere in the hallways or passing through the waiting areas. And in the dining hall.

Even though masks are required there, I've observed that people are getting less meticulous about it (just like everywhere else). Maybe it doesn't cover their nose. Maybe they are eating or drinking while walking.

We are old enough and have enough personal medical histories that COVID-19 could be a very, very bad thing for either of us. We go to the hospital because we want to stay healthy, not because we want to gamble with our lives.

I think vaccine mandates make a lot of sense in any healthcare setting.