The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Page 7 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 11:24 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
You know? I think I should at least give it a chance before I knock it off. Even though I hate watching stuff that I have a feeling I won't enjoy at the risk of being proven right after i watch it.

But sometimes I get pleasantly surprised by new stuff.

I loved the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies but it wasnt until many years after they were released that i gave them a chance because i didnt think they would be as good as the books.

I still have not watched The Hobbit movies though because I heard they were not as good.

I think I'm afraid to watch new things for some reason. But I confess now that my reasonings for automatically writing off ROP was probably very close-minded. Maybe if it were released a decade or two earlier when society wasn't so hyper focused on race and politics like we are today I'd have been more willing to watch it and not thinking anything of it.

I mean for one thing, I like strong leading female characters AND Galadriel was my favorite character in the books and movies. So WHY exactly was I so bothered by this? :scratch:

I guess if I'm going to blame anything it's the times we live in. :|

I saw the peter jacksons fellowship of the ring when I was 12, and it was the best thing ever...I had not already read the books so I did not know the story yet. I had read the hobbit and seen the animated movie but had not read lord of the rings. So anyways when I saw the fellowship at age 12 it was one of the most amazing things ever those ring wraiths were horrifying lol.

I would say the rings of power is good, but yeah perhaps seeing it a bit as a stand alone than being 100% based on accurate tolkien lore may be the best approach. Idk I really enjoy the show so far, even though I know it may not fit 100% with Tolkien's writing. Idk I like middle earth so I like the idea of a show that explores more of it, even it if is not totally canon or whatever.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 11:48 pm

One of the fascinating things that overlaps the LOTR, Harry Potter and Star War's universe is magic

Magic is not elemental, In other words the objects themselves are not magic
rings
holicrons
light sabres
wands
horcruxes

It's the power bestowed upon the objects by magical beings

The word Magic is derived from magician and goes back to a sect in the middle east known as "Magi"
They were able to channel power from the divine through objects. A classic example of a Magi is the brother of the biblical Moses who's name was Aaron. He was able to take staff and channel power to make a serpent appear from the staff to the Pharoah of Egypt Ramses.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 5:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I saw the peter jacksons fellowship of the ring when I was 12, and it was the best thing ever...I had not already read the books so I did not know the story yet. I had read the hobbit and seen the animated movie but had not read lord of the rings. So anyways when I saw the fellowship at age 12 it was one of the most amazing things ever those ring wraiths were horrifying lol.

I would say the rings of power is good, but yeah perhaps seeing it a bit as a stand alone than being 100% based on accurate tolkien lore may be the best approach. Idk I really enjoy the show so far, even though I know it may not fit 100% with Tolkien's writing. Idk I like middle earth so I like the idea of a show that explores more of it, even it if is not totally canon or whatever.

I started reading the books when I was 12. Starting with the Hobbit.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:06 am

I just watched episode 5 recaps. Apparently it's boring and the story hardly advances at all.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:06 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I just watched episode 5 recaps. Apparently it's boring and the story hardly advances at all.

Doh! I was just about to go watch it....! !! :evil:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 3:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Doh! I was just about to go watch it....! ! ! :evil:

Yeah sorry I gave the whole plot away :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 4:24 am

5th episode I loved the little ballad sung by one of the Harfoots. Also the tension when the townsfoilk decided to surrender to the orcs and the wolves chasing the harfoots

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:08 am

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:33 am

This guy called it as soon as the trailers dropped.

"We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him [J.R.R. Tolkien], not for ourselves."
-- Peter Jackson

"It felt only natural to us than an adaptation of the author's work would reflect what the world actually looks like."
-- Dipshit producer behind Rings of Power

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:53 am

I also want to reinforce that the problem is not that left wing politics is taking centre-stage where it shouldn't, but any kind of politics at all is guaranteed to ruin a potentially great thing. Perhaps it is easier for some to imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, if right wing activists were writing, directing and producing...

It would be just as much of an abomination, albeit slightly funnier.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:42 pm

Lost it at "Little House on the Patriarchy"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:45 pm

6th episode gives me strong LOTR vibes. Galadriel is a bad ass!

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:55 pm

Galadriel gives me Wonder Woman and Valeria vibes. Valera being the Valkirie type character in Conan the Barbarian (1982).

And also a Joan of Arc vibe because if the suit of armor.

I love these types characters and even designed my own LOTR Valkirie type character named Valawyn a few years ago.

However Galadriel was never such a character in Tolkien's writings.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:45 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
However Galadriel was never such a character in Tolkien's writings.

But didn't Peter Jackson also introduce numerous characters like Morwen, Eowyn and of course who could forget Tauriel. All female warrior characters who weren't in Tolkien's original writings but made into the LOTR and the Hobbit.

Also Galadriel is in Tolkien's writing and she does play the part of a warrior
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... a-warrior/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:48 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Galadriel gives me Wonder Woman and Valeria vibes. Valera being the Valkirie type character in Conan the Barbarian (1982).

The valkirie play the role in germanic/scandanavian lore as the carriers of fallen warriors to Ragnarok. e.g. "i welcome the valkyries to summon me home"

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 1:02 am