Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 4:46 am

I've always had an aversion to people saying sshh, I don't know why, I just find the sshh sound cringing. But so many humans use sshh and I've got to pretend like I don't care but really I do. My boyfriend can be shushy but I've had to tell him that sshh upsets me, because I live with him and I can't bear it when he says it. Like when we're talking in bed and he'll decide he wants to listen to some everyday noise outside like a motorcycle going by or people talking, and he goes sshh when I'm halfway through a sentence. So I have to stop what I'm saying then I get annoyed and go, "what?" And he says "I'm listening" (meaning to a noise outside, even though we were having a conversation).

It seems people seem to hear other noises around whilst having a conversation (which you'd think would be an Aspie thing but trust me, NTs do as well). I find sshh so cringing that I don't ever say it myself, I'd rather say "wait, let me listen" or "be quiet a minute", anything but sshh.

The purpose of sshh is to quieten someone and it works - no matter what you're saying if someone says sshh it's like a mute button on the TV remote and you automatically stop talking. I prefer sshh to be verbalised ("shush" instead of "sshh"). Sshh is a phonics sound, and shouldn't be used as a word as powerful as it is.

I'd like to meet at least one person besides me who hates the sshh sound and very rarely or even never uses it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 8:32 am

My wife doesn't like the "sssh" sound.

She's always thinking I'm yelling when I'm not yelling. I rarely even raise my voice.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 8:43 am

Sometimes, it can be good advice: "Oh, shush! Keep it down now. Voices carry."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2021, 5:10 pm

My girlfriend sometimes makes the sssh sound at our cat when our cat is being a pain doing something she knows she should not be doing. The sssh sounds kinda like a spray bottle which gets our cat's attention to stop.

kraftiekortie wrote:
My wife doesn't like the "sssh" sound.

She's always thinking I'm yelling when I'm not yelling. I rarely even raise my voice.
I can sure yell sometimes but I almost never do it unless I'm mad which is alot less often than it used to be thanks to meds & learning to be tolerant about things. I don't think my girlfriend likes others making the sssh sound either but she's usually the one doing most of the talking & she raises her voice when she's upset, hyper, or excited. It doesn't usually bother me much cuz I'm quiet in general & the jobs I had involved me being in noisy environments & around machines. I kinda learned to tune some noise out & I daydream aLOT in general.

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Sometimes, it can be good advice: "Oh, shush! Keep it down now. Voices carry."
Great song :wtg:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:29 pm

Having ADHD results in getting sshh'd a lot, because of the impulsive urge to talk a lot and not always paying attention to what's going on around you. When people are trying to listen to something on the TV I've got to consciously remember to stay quiet to avoid them going sshh. Sometimes even then I forget myself and go, "you know what happened the other day, I was--" then they either go "sshh!!" or turn the volume up. I hate when people do that. Usually if I'm listening to something on the TV and somebody talks, I just accept that I've missed it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Having ADHD results in getting sshh'd a lot, because of the impulsive urge to talk a lot and not always paying attention to what's going on around you. When people are trying to listen to something on the TV I've got to consciously remember to stay quiet to avoid them going sshh. Sometimes even then I forget myself and go, "you know what happened the other day, I was--" then they either go "sshh!!" or turn the volume up. I hate when people do that. Usually if I'm listening to something on the TV and somebody talks, I just accept that I've missed it.
I understand that. ADHD may be the issue Cass has or maybe it's something else like bipolar disorder or who knows. You can rewind with some cable boxes & streaming services or just pause it for a bit till the person finishes. That's what I do or I just accept that I missed something instead of going sssh(I never did that) or turning the volume up.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 4:59 pm

Some people habitually sshh for no reason or when not necessary. My boyfriend is a very shushy sort of person so I had to tell him that I don't like the sound of sshh. He probably thinks I'm a fussy nansy-pansy getting upset over nothing but it had to be said. I told him to say "shut up" instead, as I PREFER that. :lol:

One time I was cooking in the kitchen and I thought I heard my boyfriend call my name from another room. Then he came into the kitchen and I asked if he'd just called my name. But all he said was "sshh". I asked why I had to shush, and he just said, "kiss me". So I did. But I was annoyed that he sshh'd for no reason. And no, it wasn't because I was talking loud because I don't actually have a loud voice, I often talk too quietly if anything.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:19 pm

Yeah I used to be shushy to my daughter but she's able to moderate her voice much better in public now.

I think she was about 12 or 13 and asking really loud in a crowded space about periods, bleeding and sanitary pads.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:53 pm

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 4:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Yeah I used to be shushy to my daughter but she's able to moderate her voice much better in public now.

I think she was about 12 or 13 and asking really loud in a crowded space about periods, bleeding and sanitary pads.
I got a big laugh from reading this but I'm sure it was extremely embarrassing for you at the time. Kids do say the darndest things sometimes. I know I sure did & still do. Someone going sssh a lot does seem very rude of them thou & I think it's better to nicely ask someone to "please be quiet for a bit" instead. Going sssh seems like one step below saying "shut up". My elementary school teachers often told the class to shut up & they thought I was very rude. I really love double standards NOT :x I wanted to respond like Stephanie from Full House & say "How Rude" but knew better than to respond like that :arrow:

Last edited by nick007 on 25 Nov 2021, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 5:10 am

My boyfriend hates the shush and would probably destroy me for doing it...

lol it is a joke, my boyfriend would not actually destroy me, but we do joke around like that sometimes.