All three defendants guilty of murdering Ahmaud Arbery

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:18 pm

Jury reaches verdict in Ahmaud Arbery death case: All found guilty of murder

Quote:
A Georgia jury has convicted three white men of murder in the death of Ahmaud Arbery.

Travis McMichael, who fatally shot Arbery in February 2020, was convicted on all nine charges, including malice murder and four counts of felony murder.

McMichael's father, Gregory McMichael, 65, was found not guilty of malice murder but was convicted on the remaining charges, including the felony murder counts.

The McMichael's neighbor, William "Roddie" Bryan, 53, was found guilty of three of the felony murder counts as well as charges of aggravated assault with his pickup truck, false imprisonment and criminal intent to commit a felony.

Outside the courthouse, a huge collective cheer went up from a large crowd of protesters.

As the verdicts were read in court, none of the defendants showed any emotions.

The defendants all face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

During the trial held in Brunswick, Georgia, the jury of 11 white people and one Black person heard wildly different theories based on the same evidence in the racially charged case. Prosecutors alleged the defendants pursued and murdered Arbery because of wrong "assumptions and driveway decisions" they made that the Black man running through their neighborhood had committed a burglary, while defense attorneys countered that Arbery was shot in self-defense when he resisted a citizen's arrest.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:25 pm

Justice will have been fully served when the appropriate sentences have been carried out.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:30 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The defendants all face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

I read they face a *minimum sentence of life*.

The only question is whether they should be given a chance at parole or not.

"The men face minimum sentences of life in prison"
https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/2021/ ... ck-jogger/

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:38 pm

"The men face minimum sentences of life in prison.  It is up to the judge to decide whether that comes with or without the possibility of parole."

Source:
 This Associated Press Article 

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 3:15 pm

I hope there's no possibility of parole.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 3:28 pm

Parole or not, the three men face further justice under Federal jurisdiction:

All three men found guilty of killing Arbery head to federal court in 10 weeks to face hate crime charges.  Last spring, the Justice Department (DOJ) charged all three men with interfering with Arbery's civil rights and attempted kidnapping of Arbery.  The McMichaels were also charged with using, carrying and brandishing a firearm.  The DOJ is alleging that the three men used force and threats of force to intimidate and interfere with Arbery's right to use a public street because of his race.

In an eight-page indictment, federal prosecutors also alleged that the three defendants chased Arbery through the neighborhood, using their trucks -- and in the case of the McMichaels, firearms -- in an attempt to restrain Arbery, restrict his free movement, corral and detain him against his will, and prevent his escape.

Source:
 This Newsweek Article 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 3:43 pm

They must be kicking themselves for not crying in court.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 4:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Or will always refuse to accept their new fates.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 4:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Maybe juries are actually able to understand the evidence and how the law applies to it.

You are trying to compare two very different cases, both of which, it can be argued, were correctly decided.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 4:31 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
... two very different cases, both of which, it can be argued, were correctly decided.
They were both lawfully decided.  "Correctly" is a matter of conjecture, and is being argued in another thread.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:26 pm

It's a victory for justice.

The Ahmed Arbery thread on news may have broken records being 68 pages long before I pulled the plug.

People insisting the killing of Ahmed Arbery was justifiable homicide like Kyle Rittenhouse. Arbery also attacked the shooter who purported to defend himself with a loaded weapon discharging,

The killers also claimed to be defending property and pursued the victim.

The margin for claiming self-defence while acting as a vigilante makes both cases more similar than some here seem to claim.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:30 pm

I almost cried when I heard the verdict. My faith in the system of American justice has been sorely tried in the past few years and at least now, maybe, a person has the right to jog through a neighborhood without being shot dead.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:33 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I almost cried when I heard the verdict. My faith in the system of American justice has been sorely tried in the past few years and at least now, maybe, a black person has the right to jog through a white neighborhood without being shot dead.

Fixed it for you

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Quote:
I almost cried when I heard the verdict. My faith in the system of American justice has been sorely tried in the past few years and at least now, maybe, a black person has the right to jog through a white neighborhood without being shot dead.
Fixed it for you
No need to fix it.  I was shot (albeit with a pellet gun) while jogging in my old neighborhood back in the 1970s.

(It took a couple of weeks for the welt and bruise to fade away.)

When I reported the incident, the cop ask me what I had been doing to get shot at, and smirked when I told him I was only jogging (in my high-school track suit, too).

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:45 pm

In the trial, it was revealed that the owner of the home Arbery entered did have a "No Trespassing" sign posted.

So, Mr. McMichaels did see Arbery trespass - a misdemeanor under Georgia law.

Arbery has a criminal history of trespassing into people's homes.

"Officer: Ahmaud Arbery would have received trespass warning"
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/off ... g-81132170

However, Georgia citizen arrest law required a felony to be witnesses, not a misdemeanor.

Be the hero of your life.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 5:52 pm

What I'm waiting on is the case against the prosecutors who tried to cover this up, that is incredibly rare to see, and only came out because one of these guys was dumb enough to leak the video that put them all away. Most people seem to be fixated on the racial angle here, but I'm more interested in the corruption, with one of the defendants being an ex cop who seemed to get preferential treatment from the local justice system.