Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2021, 4:46 am

what have been your experiences with anxiety?
what triggers it?
what do you do to overcome it?

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2021, 3:00 pm

I used to suffer from crippling anxiety. Prescribed medication helped for a time but long term it's about learning your triggers and finding a way to work through it. Don't aim for eradicating it as it's a normal emotion. The more you're able to tolerate it the easier it gets. Don't fall into the trap of avoidance as it will make it worse in the long run

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:26 pm

I have Cptsd due to punishments before I could even speak and continuing for most of my 'growing up'. I rarely understood why I was being punished and became wary and hypervigilant. Fear has been my most common emotion since I was small.

See "reactions to trauma" Fight, flight, freeze, fawn repsonses. It explains a lot. I am always disproportionaltely afraid when anybody around me displays anger or aggression of any sort.
I fear trying anything new because I am so afraid I will fail, and consequently be punished, mocked, ridiculed, etc etc.

I am getting better but my first 30 years on earth were absolute hell due to expecting this rage and punishment no matter what.
I am conditioned from early on to this reaction.
Now I finally understand all that, it is getting better but I am 70 years old. Diagnosis at 68 helped me a lot.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:56 pm

My sister and I both have Generalized Anxiety Disorder much to the denial of our mom.

However, just to be clear, my sister is NT and not on the spectrum.

We both have seeing a therapist.